Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

If you have to buy flies, where do you go?

Guys-
    Being the wonderful fly tiers that we are, I know we have all been guilty at times of buying a fly or two. (be honest!, lol). I'm guilty of buying terrestrials when I head out west in the summer months. They can be a pain to tie, and frankly....you can buy some awesome looking terrestrial immitations! Better than I could ever tie! I usually buy them online from discountflies, here is the weblink: http://www.discountflies.com/category/terrestrials.html

The more you buy, the better deal you get per fly. During the Cicada and Mormon Cricket hatches out west, I will stock up on immitations. They are Large flies, and are much easier to buy than tie.

Where do you all buy flies?

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: If you have to buy flies, where do you go?

Man I used to buy a lot of flies online. But I cannot remember the name of the sites. Anyway this looks like a good site. And the prices are right also.
    I have trouble tying most of the terrestrials . Takes me forever, And always need 3-4 items that I do not have. I think I will order me a few dozen in different sizes and styles to keep on hand. Thanks Rich !

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you have to buy flies, where do you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Man I used to buy a lot of flies online. But I cannot remember the name of the sites. Anyway this looks like a good site. And the prices are right also.
    I have trouble tying most of the terrestrials . Takes me forever, And always need 3-4 items that I do not have. I think I will order me a few dozen in different sizes and styles to keep on hand. Thanks Rich !
    No problem Rock. I hear ya with the terrestrials, they take forever and usually turn out "so-so"....I feel like they are the only group of flies that are worth the purchase price, lol! So I buy them most of the time. Get ya some, ya never know when you'll need them. Cya

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I usually go to the local fly shop where I am fishing (if they have one) I have also bought a few at Bass Pro and at Forward Cast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I usually go to the local fly shop where I am fishing (if they have one) I have also bought a few at Bass Pro and at Forward Cast.
    I quickly learned that when fishing near any blue ribbon fisheries, buy your flies in advance! Those little fly shops charge an arm and a leg for their flies. One place that comes to my mind especially, is fishing the Green River in UT or WY. The fly shops around there charge like $3 a fly! That really makes you hurt when you snap one off! The good thing about those local fly shops though, is they will more than likely have the hotfly of the moment and plenty of advice. We always stop in them just to browse, but most importantly to ask what they are hitting on and what is hatching. My dream is to one day own a fly shop and guide service next to the Green River.....keep on dreaming... Take it easy Tim.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

In Louisville if I'm shelling out dough its at Forward Cast (On St. Matthews Ave. in St. Matthews, if any guys in town until Thursday where thinking about checking it out, http://www.forwardcast.net) or BPS (I-65 N, left off exit 4) across the river. Being nearly destitute, mostly I just bombard poor **** with my questions and scout for ideas and information which he has always happily, and on several occasions gleefully, provided.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: If you have to buy flies, where do you go?

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    In Louisville if I'm shelling out dough its at Forward Cast (On St. Matthews Ave. in St. Matthews, if any guys in town until Thursday where thinking about checking it out, http://www.forwardcast.net) or BPS (I-65 N, left off exit 4) across the river. Being nearly destitute, mostly I just bombard poor **** with my questions and scout for ideas and information which he has always happily, and on several occasions gleefully, provided.
    Yes that guy does love his job ! I have been there and dropped a couple of
    Franklins !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I quickly learned that when fishing near any blue ribbon fisheries, buy your flies in advance! Those little fly shops charge an arm and a leg for their flies. One place that comes to my mind especially, is fishing the Green River in UT or WY. The fly shops around there charge like $3 a fly! That really makes you hurt when you snap one off! The good thing about those local fly shops though, is they will more than likely have the hotfly of the moment and plenty of advice. We always stop in them just to browse, but most importantly to ask what they are hitting on and what is hatching. My dream is to one day own a fly shop and guide service next to the Green River.....keep on dreaming... Take it easy Tim.

-Rich
    You are right about prices to an extent Rich, but I can tell you this. If you are ever fishing the smokies, make a point to hit Little River Outfitters in Townsend, TN. Best, largest and most knowledgeable shop I have been in, especially in this part of the country. Harry Murray's in VA is a nice one to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    You are right about prices to an extent Rich, but I can tell you this. If you are ever fishing the smokies, make a point to hit Little River Outfitters in Townsend, TN. Best, largest and most knowledgeable shop I have been in, especially in this part of the country. Harry Murray's in VA is a nice one to.
    Tim-
    Don't get me wrong, we always stop in the local fly shops before hitting any water. Their knowledge and expertise on the local waters is WELL worth the stop in, even if you don't drop half your fishing budget in there! lol. If I'm ever in that area, I will definitely check them out. Thanks.

-Rich