Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

how did you get started fishing

I was remembering, when I first went fishing. and thought it would be good to hear some of your stories, how you got started fishing. the only one, in all my family that like to fish, was my grandmother. I was just a small kid, she would dig the earth worms, and she would let me pick them up and put them in a can with a little dirt in it. we would walk up the creek bank to a deep hole of water. the bank was clay, she would use her heels to kick holes in the bank. for me to place my feet in, so i would not slide in the water. I remember she would tell me to spit on the worm before dropping it in the water.she would break a limber limb off a bush, and make a stringer to put our fish on. all we ever caught were bluegills and catfish. when we got home, she would clean and fry those little fish we caught. my grandmother went on to be with the lord 44 years ago. but the memories I have of fishing with her, is something I treasure. sometimes I think, I wish i could take her fishing with me, to dale hollow. and watch her fight with a big smallmouth. she loved it and taught me to love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how did you get started fishing

This will be an interesting post.......I also remember going down to Herrington Lake and renting cabins. We would use my Gramps's boat and we'd also rent one. I remember going out one early morning with me and my older brother. He was driving and following close behind my gramps when another boat passed by us in the other direction. The wake came at us and my brother aimed right at the wake. If anyone remembers those old flat bow wooden rental boats. He angled that plank of a boat just right that once he hit the wave, it came over the bow like a tital wave and drenched me. Now granted I was probably 7 years old, but it seemed like a huge wave to me. I got started fishing and never stopped. My Granny and Gramps are still with us to this day and at 35 years old, show them pictures and fish with them every chance I get, but due to their health and age......those days, I am regretful to say, are few and far between. They smile and say that they are glad that they were able to pass along the gene.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stories so far...I remember fishing for Sharks in Key West with my Dad and being drug around on a raft as he dived for Conch Shells. He started me very young and we fished both Salt and Fresh here in the States and overseas . He was a Navy man so we were always around water and people who love to fish.

I really enjoyed when I became an adult and could take him fishing. I was lucky enough to take him a few months before he passed away and I can still remember how happy he looked sitting there catching those sea trout on the flats in Florida...he looked like a little kid with that smile that spoke volumes to me but knowing Dad it simply said thanks I am very happy to do this one more time. I sure do miss him....

Post Thanks / Like

Growing up in Northern UT, I grew up fly fishing with my father and older brother as early as I can remember. I grew up at the base of the wasatch mountains, and had numerous rivers close by and a lake that was close enough to my backyard that I used to hit golfballs into it off the back deck! The lake was full of trout, and that was what I grew up primarily fishing for. Although, we did have some warm spring lakes nearby that I used to catch bass and bluegill in, and that is where I got my first taste of warm-species fishing from. Now, I'm addicted!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Well for me it all started with my dad and my grandfather. Probably the first time i ever threw a line in the water was when i was about 3 or 4 at Elk Horn creek campground and i was hooked instantly. I also can remember the first bass i ever caught was also in elk horn creek at the campground and it was about a 5 ounce fish. After these encounters with fishing i went with my grandfather in his boat to dale hollow. Needless to say it is all to my dad and grandfather to thank for getting me hooked on fishin'.

Great stories by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Short story here.Can't remember when but know it was DAD(RIP85)
    Good stories.

Post Thanks / Like

Started with Dad and paternal grandparents at age 2 going to farm ponds and creeks. By age 10, fished mostly with maternal Pappaw on small lakes ponds for bluegills and catfish because Dad was working two jobs and other grandparents moved to Florida. Grandparents have all since passed away, but have been fishing more with Dad last few years due to his retirement. Really enjoying making up for lost time from last 25 years and Dad enjoys spending more time with the grandkids. Dad and I used to hunt and fish together all the time and I'm thankful we are doing so again.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I know it started younger than this but what I remember is wade fishin Elkhorn creek. Dad and I tried to go every Saturday we got a chance. Man there are a few smallmouth I can still remember like it was yesterday. Those were the good ol days.

Post Thanks / Like

i can remember my grandpaw and great uncle taking me fishing every since i can remember and hold a pole. we did alot of crappie and bluegill fishing and down behind the tailwaters at barren catching trout when they would stock them on corn and cheese and salmon eggs. we went bass fishing just a few times not many and i can remember and my great uncle would always bring this up. i was about 5 years old at taylorsville and i cought a bass that was 14 and 3/4 inch long and i wanted to keep it but they threw it back so i got mad and threw my pole in the water. he never let me live that down all the way till the day he passed. and i know he is up their watching me when i fish so i try not to get mad when things are going wrong on the water and just enjoy being on the water.i just want to say thanks to them for taking me and getting me hooked on a great sport and past time. and now i am passing the torch down to my kids who love the lake and fishing to.
    man i love fishing cant wait for spring my boy is already on me about going fishing i dont know who is jonesing more to go fishing me or him.

just remember someone took the time to take you fishing now take the time to do the same for kids or someone who never has fished before they will thank you later.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: how did you get started fishing

I lived on a farm in southern Illinois. My dad was a dentist but he had a large farm and raised cattle when I was young. He also had two D7 caterpillars we had four ponds on our farm we did not let the cattle in the ponds but used them to fill water tanks. This became my job to fill all the water tanks about every other day. I would take a cane pole and fish while I was letting the tanks fill. One of the ponds was right behind our house and dad would let almost anyone fish this pond. We had gentlemen who fished the pond and he had a tackle box with a lot of lures and nice fishing rods and reels for that time. I was about seven and I would go out to watch him fish and would always go through his tackle box to see all the new lures. Well I finally bought me a rod and reel a few lures and tried bass fishing. This man gave me a jitterbug, I was fishing it from the pond dam late one evening not doing any good there were cattails on the other bank so I threw the jitterbug in the water and walked to the other side when I turned the corner to go to the cat tails the jitterbug cut the corner and about a two pound bass hammered it. I did not reel the fish in I just backed up the bank and drug that bass up on the bank. I will never forget that moment it was the first my firs bass and I have not been right since then. I still have fond memories of the gentleman with the nice tackle box. I spent a lot of time drooling over his shiny lures and he gave me several lures. This was about fifty seven years ago great memories and great post.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It's all HIS fault > http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...randfather.jpg

I was "taken" fishing, long before I could even grasp the idea of what was going on. Grew up in a family that loved to fish. Lived with my grandparents from about age 10 til I got back home from Military Service. The gentleman in the above picture is my Grandfather, and he & my Grandmother took me most everytime they went. Mostly it was fishing for Crappie, but we did fish alot for White Bass (Spring Run & jumps @ Herrington). My boyhood buddy & I got going on Bass fishing, about the time we were old enough to drive. I followed thru with mostly Bass fishing, with the occasional Crappie fishing trip, until I was in my 30's. Then I flip-flopped back to mostly Crappie fishing, with the occasional Bass trip. Been pretty much a Crappie angler since then ... but, still fish for other species, now & again. Don't really have to target any other specific specie of fish ... since I seem to catch most of them anyway, when I'm Crappie fishing ... LOL !!
    Most of the Crappie I catch, end up eaten (either by me, family, or friends) ... everything else is C&R.
    Some of the more memorable "accidental" catches (when Crappie fishing) are :
    12lb Tiger Muskie - GRL - mounted on wall
    6lb LMB - Watts Bar Lake - released
    4lb SMB (several) - Watts Bar Lake - released
    (all caught on UL equipment & 4lb mono)

... Pappy

Post Thanks / Like

Being from Minnesota originally, I do not ever remember a time of not fishing.

My Grandparents had a cabin on a lake in Wisconsin and we'd go there every year for a week, plus other weekends when my parents could get away.

My Dad, Grandfather and all my relatives fished and it just seems like something I've always done and enjoyed.