Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tying Crappie Jigs

Guys-
    One thing that has come from combining my two worlds (FFin out west, and crappie fishing out here) is that I have began tying my own crappie jigs over the last few years. It is really fun and you can personalize your crappie jig to what ever you want! I tied a few up today:

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...PPIEKILLER.jpg

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...PIEKIILLER.jpg

Peace.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tying Crappie Jigs

Those jigs are awesome! Especially like the sparkly cactus chenille. Where (Body of water wise) do you throw those bad boys? Towards the end of February hopefully it will be warming up a bit and I can take a cruise down to the big lake. My best color combo for KY Lake in spring is red body/chartreuse tail. What color combo do YOU guys think is most effective for late winter early spring crappie?
    Can't wait to get into some slabs! If you don't mind me asking, how much jig head do you think a six weight can handle, throwing six weight sink-tip line? Would weight forward floating line handle it the same? Thanks, keep posting your cool patterns Rich! Fly fishing is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Tying Crappie Jigs

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Guys-
    One thing that has come from combining my two worlds (FFin out west, and crappie fishing out here) is that I have began tying my own crappie jigs over the last few years. It is really fun and you can personalize your crappie jig to what ever you want! I tied a few up today:

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...PPIEKILLER.jpg

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...PIEKIILLER.jpg

Peace.

-Rich
    Those look awesome Rich ! The one is named Hot pink. But looks like a rust color in the pic. Is it the pic/lighting ? Wolly Bugger on a Jig !!! Cool !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    Those jigs are awesome! Especially like the sparkly cactus chenille. Where (Body of water wise) do you throw those bad boys?

-Thanks. That chenille is awesome, puts off some serious flash. I get it at Bass Pro. I loved to use these jigs when the crappies have moved shallow and are holding to shoreline structure. Put them about three feet below a fixed weighted bobber and work the shoreline. MONEY!

Towards the end of February hopefully it will be warming up a bit and I can take a cruise down to the big lake. My best color combo for KY Lake in spring is red body/chartreuse tail. What color combo do YOU guys think is most effective for late winter early spring crappie?

-Red w/chartreuse tail is a good color combo. I have always had the most luck on KY Lake in early spring using tri-color tubes in any combination of white, yellow (or chartreuse), and orange. IMO.

Can't wait to get into some slabs! If you don't mind me asking, how much jig head do you think a six weight can handle, throwing six weight sink-tip line? Would weight forward floating line handle it the same? Thanks, keep posting your cool patterns Rich! Fly fishing is awesome!
    -I have thrown 1/124 oz and 1/80 oz feather jigs that I have tied, on the FR. But with a six weight rod, I would say you could throw at least up to 1/32 oz or even a 1/16 oz or more if you really put some UMPH into it, lol! And then duck as the jig head flies over you like a bullet! Take care.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Those look awesome Rich ! The one is named Hot pink. But looks like a rust color in the pic. Is it the pic/lighting ? Wolly Bugger on a Jig !!! Cool !
    Rock-
    Not sure why the appeared a rust color for ya When I pull them up on my PC, they look hotpink. Must be color setting or something? But rest assure, they are very hotpink That is exactly right, a wooly bugger on a jig! That is all they truly are! I'm tying up some teasers for my umbrella rig, I'll post them when I get them done. Take care.

-Rich