Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

FFin for Smallies

Guys-
    There is perhaps nothing funner than FFin for smallies! My first trip to Kentucky, when I was young kid, my brother took me to a little stream just outside of Richmond, KY. The stream was named Silver Creek...a pretty little creek with runs and riffles. We threw bitch creeks all day long and KILLED the smallmouth! Nothing huge, most around 10-14", but I still remember that day, it was a blast!

That brings me to a trip I have planned this summer. We are heading up to fish Lake La Croix in Minnesota. We normally go over into Canada to the Quetico National Forrest, and we always do great there, but we wanted to try something different this year. We have heard great things about the lake, and we will going after smallies like usual. I have never taken my FR up there when we have gone. I always regreated it when we got up there and on fish, but the guys I go with don't FF, just spin fish. This year, I am taking the FR and am going to primarily fish with it. Crawdad patterns will be the ticket. Anybody have some good Crawdad Recipes? I might throw some streamers as well. Can't Wait!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FFin for Smallies

Saw a pattern in Fly Fisherman a few issues back looked pretty good for lake fishing. They tied it on a wide gap hook with a 90 degree elbow turned up. Main thing that made this pattern stand out was they had affixed a thick rubber band on the shank right at the elbow so they could change out different sized eyes as they saw fit. Looked a lot like a jig n' pig, the way it sat on the bottom, claws up in the current.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FFin for Smallies

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    Saw a pattern in Fly Fisherman a few issues back looked pretty good for lake fishing. They tied it on a wide gap hook with a 90 degree elbow turned up. Main thing that made this pattern stand out was they had affixed a thick rubber band on the shank right at the elbow so they could change out different sized eyes as they saw fit. Looked a lot like a jig n' pig, the way it sat on the bottom, claws up in the current.
    Sounds sweet! I'll have to check that pattern out,thanks!

-Rich