Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Umbrella Rig Teasers

Guys-
    Just tying up some teasers for my new umbrella rigs. I plan on mainly using these smaller umbrella rigs for trolling at Barren River Lake this early summer when the hybrids are going nuts. Should be fun. I'll drop a longer line down the middle using a earie dearie, so it appears that the earie dearie is giving chase to these four little fishies, Can't wait to try it out!

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...ELLATEASER.jpg

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...EUSETEASER.jpg

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a...MBRELLARIG.jpg

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Umbrella Rig Teasers

Hey Rich those look good ! Would like to see the Erie Dearie ( Spell Check) not sure I spelled that right?

Is that synthetic hair ? With a little crystal flash maybe?

Picked myself up one of those umbrella rigs a while back. Have not got a chance to use it yet. Think I will tie me up some Chartreuse and white buck tails for it. With a larger one in the Middle.

Post a pic of the Erie Dearie if you get a chance.

Hey , Like the antique lamp too !

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Umbrella Rig Teasers

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Hey Rich those look good ! Would like to see the Erie Dearie ( Spell Check) not sure I spelled that right?

Is that synthetic hair ? With a little crystal flash maybe?

Picked myself up one of those umbrella rigs a while back. Have not got a chance to use it yet. Think I will tie me up some Chartreuse and white buck tails for it. With a larger one in the Middle.

Post a pic of the Erie Dearie if you get a chance.

Hey , Like the antique lamp too !
    Lol, that lamp is one of the first decorative items my wife and I bought when we were first married (kirklands)...thanks. As for the Erie Dearie...it's not a fly, it's a spinner worm harness used primarily for walleye. The only reason I want to use it for the middle chaser is because I watched the Amish up at Barren River Lake last June KILL the hybrids trolling them! They would real one in about every 4-5min. And I'm talking nice ones! I will tie some bigger bucktails to try for the chaser as well, but I'll probably start off with the Earie Dearies. I might even get some large road runner heads with the silver spinner blade and tie some up with those....I think those hybrids at Barren really like the spinner flash. Anyways, I've got several months to experiment and figure it out.

Also Rock, have you ever fished the white bass spawn on the CR in March? I went last year with a friend and we caught a lot of nice ones! If you can find any tributarie, the larger the better, you can kill them! I'm planning on making it my first trip of the year, mayber the 1st-2nd week of March. You oughta come. Take care.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Umbrella Rig Teasers

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Lol, that lamp is one of the first decorative items my wife and I bought when we were first married (kirklands)...thanks. As for the Erie Dearie...it's not a fly, it's a spinner worm harness used primarily for walleye. The only reason I want to use it for the middle chaser is because I watched the Amish up at Barren River Lake last June KILL the hybrids trolling them! They would real one in about every 4-5min. And I'm talking nice ones! I will tie some bigger bucktails to try for the chaser as well, but I'll probably start off with the Earie Dearies. I might even get some large road runner heads with the silver spinner blade and tie some up with those....I think those hybrids at Barren really like the spinner flash. Anyways, I've got several months to experiment and figure it out.

Also Rock, have you ever fished the white bass spawn on the CR in March? I went last year with a friend and we caught a lot of nice ones! If you can find any tributarie, the larger the better, you can kill them! I'm planning on making it my first trip of the year, mayber the 1st-2nd week of March. You oughta come. Take care.

-Rich
    I will be here ! I can look out my window at the second tributary down from the dam. Which is Indian Creek.

Post Thanks / Like

Look good! One thing I used to do on the Urig was do up some jigs with wire twisted up like a hitch hiker coming out the back. Tie up the jig as normal and thread a twister tail on the hitch hiker. Run a 1 oz jig (hook in this one) with a spinner bait (road runner something similar) on a 2-3 foot leader off the center. Rest of the Urig jigs are teasers with no hooks. I also found putting spinner blades on a swivel and running these off the inner section of the arms. Adds extra flash and vibration.

The vast majority of the time the center jig gets nailed. Used this set up for stripers. Hybrids I used a 1/2 or 3/4 oz jig on the center. Got over using hooks on all jigs after hitting a couple of stripers on one Urig. They fight each other as much as they fight you and you run the risk of going over the limit and having to release a dead fish. Also cheaper for when you hang one up and lose it

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I will be here ! I can look out my window at the second tributary down from the dam. Which is Indian Creek.
    Your cabin must be close to one of my buddy's cabins. You would probably recognize him if you saw him.....really old, kind of sorry looking fella (lol, couldn's resist Ken! ) His boat looks like a world war II tank. He runs a trout guiding service out of his cabin there. Once in a blue moon he'll invite me to go, that is, when he's not too busy making big bucks guiding. Anyways, I can't wait to catch a mess of whities this spring!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Look good! One thing I used to do on the Urig was do up some jigs with wire twisted up like a hitch hiker coming out the back. Tie up the jig as normal and thread a twister tail on the hitch hiker. Run a 1 oz jig (hook in this one) with a spinner bait (road runner something similar) on a 2-3 foot leader off the center. Rest of the Urig jigs are teasers with no hooks. I also found putting spinner blades on a swivel and running these off the inner section of the arms. Adds extra flash and vibration.

The vast majority of the time the center jig gets nailed. Used this set up for stripers. Hybrids I used a 1/2 or 3/4 oz jig on the center. Got over using hooks on all jigs after hitting a couple of stripers on one Urig. They fight each other as much as they fight you and you run the risk of going over the limit and having to release a dead fish. Also cheaper for when you hang one up and lose it

Andrew
    Plan on using these smaller urigs for hybrids, not worried about catching multiples at a time...in fact, that would be even funner. I would understand the concept of hookless teasers when fishing the CL for stripers. I plan on running a 3/8oz Erie Dearie down the middle since they are killer for the hybrids on the BRL. Slap a nightcrawler on the Erie Dearie hook and you kill em! Thanks for the input. Take it easy.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Your cabin must be close to one of my buddy's cabins. You would probably recognize him if you saw him.....really old, kind of sorry looking fella (lol, couldn's resist Ken! ) His boat looks like a world war II tank. He runs a trout guiding service out of his cabin there. Once in a blue moon he'll invite me to go, that is, when he's not too busy making big bucks guiding. Anyways, I can't wait to catch a mess of whities this spring!

-Rich
    Nobody close here that fits that description.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody close here that fits that description.
    I think he's further down stream then you Rock. Google Ken Glenn and you will find his webpage. He has a blog that he gives all his recent reports on. It's good for some current info, not that you need it practically living on the river...you bum! lol!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's further down stream then you Rock. Google Ken Glenn and you will find his webpage. He has a blog that he gives all his recent reports on. It's good for some current info, not that you need it practically living on the river...you bum! lol!

-Rich
    Everybody is further down stream than our little Hood! I will check out his site ! I can always use all the help I can get !