Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jig Rod Help/Opinion

I am looking at purchasing a new jig rod ... I have found 2 that I am interested in, both are G Loomis GLX Jig n' Worm rods. One is 6'8'' MH and the other is 7'1'' XH ... I fish mainly at KY Lake and am not pitching into extra thick cover, I will throw the jig around typical structure, docks, drops, etc. I rarely throw a jig heavier than 1/2 oz, I think I have one 3/4 oz jig. So, would the 6'8'' be a better fit for the fishing I do or ???

I can get both for good prices, hence the reason behind my debate. I have it in my mind that I want a heavy becuase I feel like a Loomis MH (I have several) is not as heavy as others, but I have not used a GLX Jig n' Worm rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jig Rod Help/Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by LoomisLover View Post
    I am looking at purchasing a new jig rod ... I have found 2 that I am interested in, both are G Loomis GLX Jig n' Worm rods. One is 6'8'' MH and the other is 7'1'' XH ... I fish mainly at KY Lake and am not pitching into extra thick cover, I will throw the jig around typical structure, docks, drops, etc. I rarely throw a jig heavier than 1/2 oz, I think I have one 3/4 oz jig. So, would the 6'8'' be a better fit for the fishing I do or ???

I can get both for good prices, hence the reason behind my debate. I have it in my mind that I want a heavy becuase I feel like a Loomis MH (I have several) is not as heavy as others, but I have not used a GLX Jig n' Worm rod.
    I have both rods, 3 of the MH 6' 8" and use them for jigs and worms. They are great for either. I use the 7 as a carolina rig, it is heavier and I personally don't like it for jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the 7'1". I like the longer rods for a better hook set. Ryan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoomisLover View Post

I like the 7' 1" for easier pitching and better hook sets.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to know. I'm thinking about purchasing a 7' IMX MH. It the action to light on this rod for 1/2oz jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the year here I use a GLX and Carrot Stix Gold in MH - and it is perfect for most applications. There is not a ton of thick cover here, and I usually usea 3/8 oz. jig. I wouldn't want much heavier of rod for fishing most of the year.

I do have a Heavier action St. Croix legend for deep water/heavier jigs that I use through the summer on deeper ledges - but for everything else the MH would be the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

i like my 7'0 falcon lowrider in MH and my kistler magnesium in 7'0 MH i like them both becouse they are good for texas rig, jigs, carolina rigs,waitless flukes and slug-go's, spinnerbaits, and buzz baits, and froggs. they are sensitive and strong they work good for me. i have 10 rod and reels i use 3 spinning rod and reels 2 are m action one MH the rest are baitcasters one is M action glass for crank baits MH glass for deep cranks. the rest are MH action graphite rods and this covers all my fishing styles. all are 6'6 or 7'0 foot nothing longer nothing shorter. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 7'er when fishing a jig....its harder to get a jig through a fishes mouth than it is other baits....i prefer a heavy action rod but then again im usually fishing 20+ft and i feel more through my line than through my rod....If you can find a friend with a heavy action rod you may want to see if you can throw it a trip or two and see if you like it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys ... I have found a custom 7' H rod (G Loomis IMX blank) that I am most likely going to purchase, going to see it in the morning and am pretty excited

Post Thanks / Like

I got 2 each of those GLX rods. You would love the 7'1" XH for jig fishing. I've been using that rod at ky lake for years and it really helps getting the fish out of the buck brush and such. I don't think you can beat it.

Post Thanks / Like

St. Croix 5C70MHF rod blank - spiral wrapped guides - 3.5mm Micro running guides. A custom builder to put it together for you. St. Croix Mh's are about the same as Loomis Heavy actions from what I have seen. This rod built with micro guides will be lighter than the GLX's of the same power. I cast and pitch jigs with this setup frequently. This is not a add. I build rods but do not sell my rods.