Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses

Post Thanks / Like

Sunglasses

What is your opinion on the best sunglasses for your money? Would I be wasting my money getting a pair made by Strike King from wal-mart? I fish mostly on Kentucky and Barkley lakes. I am going to make a trip to Bass Pro Shops soon, they should have some good ones. Any advice will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sunglasses

I would by another pair of the berkleys I got last year in a second. They ar $18 at wal-mart but have polarize poly carb. shatterproof lenses. I like mine fine. Good for sight fishing too, Im probably gonna get the amber lense for this spring so I have both.

Never had an expensive pair on my head so cant comment on if the high ones are worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use the cheaper glasses and thought they were just as good as the more expensive ones. I was given a pair of a popular name brand with "optic quality" lenses and they are definitely worth the money. My vision was clearer and my eyes felt a lot better at the end of the day...no more headaches. I'm using Solar Bats now and the ones I buy run around $60/pair. Obviously, there are other brands just as good, or better. I prefer a wrap-around style to help cut down the glare in my peripheral vision. I would focus on looking for better lens quality and then get whatever style you like that is within your price range. BPS carries several different brands so you should be able to find something you like. Good luck.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

If money is no object, go with Costa Del Mar. I fish with the Costas almost year round and they are the best on the market.

However, I do have a cheap pair I bought at WalMart made by Berkley, like someone mentioned before. I use them while pond fishing or on larger bodies of water. I use the Costas strictly for sight fishing or in clear water siutations. The differences are HUGE!!!! I know there are plenty of good sunglasses out there, but if you want premium -- go with the Costa Del Mar.

I use the cheaper Berkleys when I go smallmouth canoeing with friends because I know we might turn the canoe over and there is a chance of losing them.

It also depends on the fishing situation:

1. Amber for lowlight and best contrast
    2. Mirror green, blue, smoke/gray for open water situations.

Some more guys will have more input.....

Post Thanks / Like

Check out sierratradingpost.com. Thay have a great selection of polarized fishing sunglasses, like Costa Del Mar, Kaenon, Native, Coyote, Maui Jim, and Action. I got a $120.00 pair of Costa Del Mars a few months ago for $59.00!! They came with 3 lens colors that you could interchange, and a nice hard case! Sign up for their e-mail list and you receive periodic coupons for 20% off or free shipping. I have bought all kinds of fishing gear from them.
    Check Black Friday November and Stater Bros Ad.

Post Thanks / Like

The best i have had were Fat/Headz but i sat on them and busted them.I got those gave too me last year at our Disvisional Championship.I'm too cheap too buy them again till i hit the lotto.I bought a good pair from Gander Mountian that even float but at 60mph+ they blew off and i knew better than too go back.So i'll just keep on buying cheap pairs till i quit losing,breaking them.WISH i still head Fat/Headz
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

I used to wear prescription glasses, and had to spend HIGH dollar for polarized JUNK. THE lenses were ok but the glasses could not be "bent" to contour due to my eyes.

A few years ago, I had Lasik done, and NOW I can wear anything.......I started out using cheapo glasses and was perfectly content with that........

Last Summer, I purchased a pair of Native Eyewear glasses from Steep and Cheap. They were 150.00 list, and I got them for 45.00........TALK about FANTASTIC.

A good pair of glasses are fantastic........simply fantastic.

Checkout this site www.steepandcheap.com . They only sell 1 item at a time and sell them until they are gone, and then sell something else.

I've purchased some serious gear from this site. They don't sell anything but high end stuff.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Cool site Geo, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice I can give you is buy a good pair. My choice is Oakley's. Yes your going to pay around 150-180 for them but I've had the same pair for 6 years now. All the other cheap pairs I had broke at some time or another. Pay a little more now and you'll be happier in the long run. Oakley Straight Jackets are awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Costa Del Mar's. You will be amazed at the difference in a higher quality lens.

Pretty much what Shimano4life said about color. I have an amber color I wear 90% of the time. However in direct, bright sunlight I will change to my mirror blue ones. My next pair will be green mirror for bright light. I had a pair of revo's years ago wite a green mirror lense, and I havent had any since then that were as good in bright light.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never been the kind of person to drop some serious coin on something like a pair of sunglasses. Then I tried a pair of Costas a buddy had. Ive bought two pairs since then and let me tell you, there is a BIG difference. I am ROUGH on my equipment and my Costas are the most scratch resistent lens Ive ever seen. Of course the vision is awesome with them as well. I prefer the vermillion color in stained water and most freswater applications. Its a bit fruity looking but the contrast is unbelievable. I even wear them driving. Go with Costas or other quality glasses and youll be happy.
    Last edited by JD7.62; 01-29-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i have had cheep glasses and exspensive ones and let me tell you go with oakley hd flack or straight jackets in amber color. they are awsome i love them you would not belive the difference in glasses. i cant comment on the costas but they are exspensive so the are proubley the same quality as the oakleys.