Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fly_fishing for stripers

I am visiting Lake Lanier in Georgia from the UK and was wondering on what weight rod and line to use and the type of fly, any advice welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly_fishing for stripers

You will need a Salt water class Fly Rod. At least a 10 Wt. With a fighting butt. And throw large 3-4 " Streamers. Basically a rig that you could use for Tarpon. This advise is just what I have found out from researching Fly rod Striper fishing. I have not done it yet, But I will this spring ! Provided I can acquire the 10 WT rod I will need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    You will need a Salt water class Fly Rod. At least a 10 Wt. With a fighting butt. And throw large 3-4 " Streamers. Basically a rig that you could use for Tarpon. This advise is just what I have found out from researching Fly rod Striper fishing. I have not done it yet, But I will this spring ! Provided I can acquire the 10 WT rod I will need.
    What he said. Big Rod + Big Fly = Big Fish!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys I have been looking in too this! I spent last year catching stripers on rod and reel. But would like to try to do this on fly.Reading up on this most feel 8 to 10 wt. is the way to go basically it depends on the quality on the rod, where you well be fishing, and how you want to go light weight or strong. So here in the mid U.S. i looking for a mutli use rod and something i'm not going to do every time that i go fishing. So price is a issue. Then size of the fly is part of the equation. I'm going to use a tfo TiCr-x 9wt 9ft then add gold cup fly reel I get a deal on them. Planning to try some bangers in the 2/0 or 3/0 size big eyes and flash also some Clouser Minnows, Deceiver.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Fly_fishing for stripers

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Bum View Post
    Hey guys I have been looking in too this! I spent last year catching stripers on rod and reel. But would like to try to do this on fly.Reading up on this most feel 8 to 10 wt. is the way to go basically it depends on the quality on the rod, where you well be fishing, and how you want to go light weight or strong. So here in the mid U.S. i looking for a mutli use rod and something i'm not going to do every time that i go fishing. So price is a issue. Then size of the fly is part of the equation. I'm going to use a tfo TiCr-x 9wt 9ft then add gold cup fly reel I get a deal on them. Planning to try some bangers in the 2/0 or 3/0 size big eyes and flash also some Clouser Minnows, Deceiver.
    Sounds like a good plan Man ! Keep us posted on your progress !

Post Thanks / Like

Also thinking about a Yak. Thinking that there is alot of water around here to hit. How about that section from taylorsville lake down to sheperdsville.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a long haul from the dam to Shep. It could be done, but you probably wouldn't get much fishing because of trying to make it to the take out before it got late. Speaking of Salt River, there is now a boat ramp in Shepherdsville, behind the conference center by Kart Country!

Post Thanks / Like

I dream about catching a 120lb striper on the fly rod....then I wake up and I have my wife by the jaw! Is it normal to dream about fishing every night? I think I might need help..........it's getting worse!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

How far can you get up from the ramp and is that using a motor. I dont know about normal. But i have been trying to mount mine to the wall but she keeps pulling the studs out of the wall.