Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance vs. Humminbird

First of all - this board is great - lots of friendly fisherman that are willing to share their expertise.

I'm trying to determine which to purchase - Lowrance or Humminbird. Which is the best - humminbird's side imaging or Lowrance's HDS. I'm willing to spend about 900 and want to get the most for my dollars.

Appreciate the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lowrance vs. Humminbird

I don't currently own either one of the newer units, but based on what I've read on other boards about them, my choice would be a Humminbird without question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
    my choice would be a Humminbird without question.
    Same here.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerot...=485986&page=1

Article on bassfan.com

Bird sues Lowrance 1/27/2010
    Shortly after Johnson Outdoors was awarded a patent for its Humminbird Side Imaging technology, Johnson filed suit in federal court against Navico, with claims that Lowrance's new StructureScan technology infringes on the patent. In a press release, Kelly Grindle, Johnson Outdoors group VP marine electronics and watercraft, stated: "Our intellectual property policy is very simple: We will respect the property of others and fiercely protect that of our own. We were diligent throughout the Side Imaging sonar technology patent application process to ensure we achieved both because real innovation brings real value which our customers and consumers expect and demand. By taking steps to protect our ideas and inventions, we help ensure our ability to continue to bring forward meaningful advances and innovative products that excite consumers and build our customers' business."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    First of all - this board is great - lots of friendly fisherman that are willing to share their expertise.

I'm trying to determine which to purchase - Lowrance or Humminbird. Which is the best - humminbird's side imaging or Lowrance's HDS. I'm willing to spend about 900 and want to get the most for my dollars.

Appreciate the help!
    You should avoid Lowrance like it is the plague. I paid $700 for a gps depthfinder combo last April. It worked 2 weeks before the depth finder went kaput. Sent it back the 1st of June. Things got fouled up at the repair shop and they say they sent it out in Aug. They have been promising me a new unit for 3 months now, and I'm still without one. It has not been entirely their fault, A2o is in there too, but that's another story. Bottom line is I will never own a Lowrance product again. Buy Hummingbird, I know I will from now on!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Humminbird 997si combo last spring and have not regreted spending the money at all. I have not had the first problem with my unit and have really been pleased with their updating software.

Post Thanks / Like

i have the humminbird 1197si and would not trade it for anything. i have heard to miny bad things about lowrance from their low end to their high end and their custamer service department stinks.

Post Thanks / Like

i posted a reply earlier that they did not put up for some reason. lowrance would not honor my waranty with my 520c. customer service is a nightmare, google lowrance customer service for more research information, it is the truth so hope this post gets through, just trying to save another customer from a bad experience

Post Thanks / Like

I have the least expensive side image unit Hummingbird makes. Mine is little over 1 year old it 797ci2 with navionics. absolutely love it. The side imaging is future shock material. Amazing what you can see. Am still learning technics, interpitations of images and features with this unit. recently downloaded the down imaging software package that is new (no charge for software from HB). There are blogs and web sites devoted to side image sonar use, technics and tips.

Don't know about the new Lowrance units. The unit I replaced was a Lowrance, however, it was a LMS160 combo unit from the late 90s. It always worked as it should, but it would be like comparing am radio to surround sound.

I'm really happy with my new Hummingbird unit (even though this model is the one year old 797ci2 and the new model in this class is the 798ci2).

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Lowrance vs. Humminbird

First let me state that I am no way involved with either company and have no brand loyalty to either.

I have heard the customer servcie issues with humminbird. I researched both products for months. The Bass Pro in Cincy got tired of seeing me "play" with the display units.

I ended up buying the Lowrance HDS8 with the LSS1 side imaging. It's only been bout 6 weeks but if I sat here and said anything negative I would be lying. Honestly I LOVE it and it HAS put more fish in the boat.

I bought one complete system and put it on my center console on Cumberland then bought an extra LSS1 side imaging system and another transducer for my Ranger and just switch out the "head" every time.

Ive had to call tech support a couple of time "cause im stupid" and the only problem I've has was having to wait a bit on the tech support line.

Hope this helps and good luck. This is a very important decision. It took me longer to make this decision that it did for naming my kids

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you after my research I'm going with Lowrance. However given your price range you may have to stick with the HB as the LSS ducer alone would eat up more than 60% of your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

i cant bash the humminbird side immage cause i havent been around one much
    but ive had my hd unit sence sept and the structure scan sence the last week in november when it was released and its AUSOME! its been a hard unit to learn how to use all the options an remember what button to push
    but wouldnt trade it for 2 of the hummin birds
    sounds like this is gonna be the typical Ford vs Chevy argument thats why humminbirrd an lowrance put their own twist on each unit
    speaking of wich i plan to add the sirus weather to my unit this week does humminbird offer this too?
    oh go FORD!!