Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shed hunting time is drawing near

Whenever all this snow melts I will be in the woods looking for sheds for sure... Can't wait...

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to get serious about shed huntin this year Mark, if it ever stops snowing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I am going to get serious about shed huntin this year Mark, if it ever stops snowing.
    Tim it's absolutely a blast, great exercise and very educational. There are alot of articles you can find on-line that can help you get started with some common sense approaches. Once you start finding some you won't believe how you'll get hooked. They are also valuable and can be sold if you wish, I just save mine and have a pretty sizable collection.

Last year there was a girl in Iowa that found a matching set that scores 191 and 5/8 typical. She sold them to Cabelas on E-bay for 1,329.00 dollars, no kiddin. Single sides that are above 80 to 90 inches can bring 2 to three hundred dollars sometimes. My two biggest are single sides that push 70 inches, probably worth 70 or 80 dollars a piece.

Post Thanks / Like

I liken hunting sheds to searching for mushrooms(I prefer the mushrooms0. It can be frustrating, but nothing beats walking, walking, then walk some more. The first one is always the hardest to find, and you really need to train your eyes. I used to leave them for the squirrels, but now I'll pack'em out for Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like

Went for a walk last evening in the snow just for S&G's. Saw three bucks all still wearing their headgear. Some still packing the prize around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    LOL, Yea they are harder to find than an honest politician in the snow, guess I'm gonna have to just wait.

I like that line. the sad part is it's true. makes a feller wonder, why bother looking. if they'er harder to find than a HONEST politician, it seams they would be impossible to find.

Post Thanks / Like

My black lab came in carrying an 11 point rack about 2 weeks ago,she had chewed the end of one tine pretty good.Last year she brought a 10 pointer in skull and all,it had a 19" inside spread.The 11 pointer had pretty long tines,but no way to accurately judge the spread.
    Maybe I'll train some Antler Shed dogs

Forgot to add that 2 years ago I saw a buck still packin' the 1st week of April,this year every buck I've seen has dropped already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I like that line. the sad part is it's true. makes a feller wonder, why bother looking. if they'er harder to find than a HONEST politician, it seams they would be impossible to find.
    Found a real nice shed last night in a fencerow. It was a 4 point side with decent mass and nice beam length, Also the G2 was 10 1/4'' long. Not bad, it had apparently fell off when he hit the ground after jumping a fence.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. I thought you was going to say you found a shed on a fence row but it had a lawnmower in it. Conrgrats! Gonna have to get out there after another couple inches of snow melt.

Post Thanks / Like

Found another small four point side. It was from last year though, really wasn't all that chewed up but I like the fresh ones better.

Post Thanks / Like

did a little walking yesterday after cutting firewood for the landowner where i hunt. didnt have any luck finding sheds, but did find some good sign to focus on next season. talked to the landowner, and he said he saw a buck on saturday, said it wasnt real big or small, just medium sized i guess. hope to do some more walking this week. later