Search Fishin.com

Thread: motor rebuilt

Post Thanks / Like

motor rebuilt

is their any good places that are pretty cheep to have a motor rebuilt. i have a 150 mercury black max xr4. i live in louisville but will take it is some where that will be cheeper. also i found where i can get all the parts to do it my self for cheep with a manual how hard is it to do yourself if you have never done it before.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: motor rebuilt

shouldnt be bad if you have decent mechanical/sommon sense knowldge and normal tools needed for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smuckey41 View Post
    is their any good places that are pretty cheep to have a motor rebuilt. i have a 150 mercury black max xr4. i live in louisville but will take it is some where that will be cheeper. also i found where i can get all the parts to do it my self for cheep with a manual how hard is it to do yourself if you have never done it before.
    I just finished rebuilding my 90 hp mercury. I did it myself. started it yesterday, using a water hose. it runs great. haven't got to take it to the lake yet. but I think I did a good job. get yourself a repair manual, and do it yourself. it was my first, and if I can you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Call Mike @ 502-957-2226 tell him bill said to call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ranger0904 View Post
    Call Mike @ 502-957-2226 tell him bill said to call.
    thanks bill

Post Thanks / Like

Man with your money don't you think its time to get a newer, bigger one, I mean you LOVE speed anyway!!! LOL. Good luck with it Chuck, I have no doubt you could do it yourself since you already know quite a bit about boats anyway. Worth a shot to save that much money and I would help you just to learn if you want...let me know brother, I am free labor just for the chance to learn .

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

if your motor has gone bad, and needs to be rebuilt. it's a scary thought, when you think of all the parts. inside a motor. but if you know the different parts that make up a motor, like the block, the head, the carbs, the crank, the pistons, and rings. the rods, and the bearings. if you know what all these parts are, then you can rebuild your motor your self. here are some tips I used. first get you a manual, and read the rebuilding section about your motor. it's just like reading a road map, and going some place you have never been. take your time, get some different colors of colored tape. when you unplug any wires, match them with colored tape. and they are easy to put back where they go. get some plastic cups, and write on the cups. what kind of bolts are in each cup. like, head bolts, or crank case bolts, rod bolts, it makes it easy when putting it back together.when you have it tore apart, and find what has gone bad. { the manual has different photos of parts that go bad, and what they look like. } then order your rebuilding kit. Iboat.com is a good place to get the kits. do it your self, and save enough money to fish on for a couple years. once you get started, you will find it's not a bad job at all.... I did mine myself, took it to the lake friday. and it ran perfect. rode around for about an hour. until I froze out. but I was well pleased. it took me three days to rebuild mine. I did a lot of reading and double checking. if I had to do it again, it would be a weekend job.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't hope you mind...but I spaced your post out due to the good info inside it.

if your motor has gone bad, and needs to be rebuilt. it's a scary thought, when you think of all the parts. inside a motor. but if you know the different parts that make up a motor, like the block, the head, the carbs, the crank, the pistons, and rings. the rods, and the bearings. if you know what all these parts are, then you can rebuild your motor your self. here are some tips I used.

first get you a manual, and read the rebuilding section about your motor. it's just like reading a road map, and going some place you have never been.

take your time, get some different colors of colored tape. when you unplug any wires, match them with colored tape. and they are easy to put back where they go.

get some plastic cups, and write on the cups. what kind of bolts are in each cup. like, head bolts, or crank case bolts, rod bolts, it makes it easy when putting it back together.

when you have it tore apart, and find what has gone bad. { the manual has different photos of parts that go bad, and what they look like. } then order your rebuilding kit.

Iboat.com is a good place to get the kits. do it your self, and save enough money to fish on for a couple years. once you get started, you will find it's not a bad job at all.... I did mine myself, took it to the lake friday. and it ran perfect. rode around for about an hour. until I froze out. but I was well pleased. it took me three days to rebuild mine. I did a lot of reading and double checking. if I had to do it again, it would be a weekend job.