Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Date for Spring Trip to Kentucky/Barkley

Hey guys, need your input on planning a trip to the twin lakes this spring to do some largemouth fishing . Currently thinking April/May timeframe would be best?

I am interested in going after "quality" fish, not interested in numbers. Perference would be to fish North ends to mid lake.

What would you suggest as far as dates?

Any other advise and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks in advance ,
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Date for Spring Trip to Kentucky/Barkley

My partners and I have caught more big fish, 7lbs+ during the end of March til mid April. This, in my opinion is the best time for quality fish. Most of the time, we haven't caught numbers, but good fish. There have been days when multiple 7 to 8lbers have been caught. On both lakes. Throw big baits, the old addage is true, big=big. #9 shad raps in crawfish have produced well. I always fish around the hwy68 bridges, I put in at Devils Elbow or Fenton. On KY fish the main lake points, on Barkley fish the mouths to about 1/2 way back in the bays. Good luck and hang on!

Post Thanks / Like

Month of March is big fish time.

Post Thanks / Like

march

Post Thanks / Like

Gary,
    Dave S. probably doesn't have any availability open in March, but I would highly recommend him. He will put on big fish weather permitting. Last two weekends of April you will catch a lot of fish.
    Bradd

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy for the input. Now you got me thinking MAYBE 2 trips, one in March and another in April......

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Thanks guy for the input. Now you got me thinking MAYBE 2 trips, one in March and another in April......

Gary
    Wise decision, March for size, April for numbers. Especially if they don't drowned out the yellow flowers again this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for march for quality over quantity. Late May for quantity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    Month of March is big fish time.
    Dave we use to go to Irvin Cobb every year in the third week or the last week of March. We usually didn't get big numbers but somebody would always catch a Hoss, usually a fish over six. We loved that place and Cliff Roberson ran it during those days and was a prince of a fella. He liked that Wild Turkey and we would always take him some.

One of our group of four had a serious accident on the job and suffered a severe head injury. He is in a assisted living place in Carbondale Illinois now and never really recovered. We went two more years after that but it was never the same and we quit going. Your post made me think of all those good times. Ole Blood river I can see it in my minds eye right now.
    Didn't mean to highjack your post Boone, sorry, but Dave is right them ole bigguns are stirring in March.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark
    Just read your post. You know, fishing is all about making memories with family and friends. Thanks for your post....sometimes I get tired when I do things like I have lately (teaching folks how to find bass every day for the past 6 weeks)...your post has reminded me why I do it.

Post Thanks / Like

my partner and I won our club tournament last year in March had over 30lb in a day and a 1/2, and you know we caught the big one in practice over 7 but we had a good bag to weigh on Sat 13+ 1/2 day Sun 17+ our tournament is in March this year. JMO

P.S. well said Dave

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy DaveR used to go fishing at KY/Barkley, but we both sold our boats due conditions beyond our control. Hope to be back into it one day. Yes, March always was a good time to get the big ones for us. My experiences is that KY gets good before Barkley. Something about that cold stained/muddy water they don't like. However, if you get several clear warm days in a row it warms up really quick and have knocked them dead slow rolling spinnerbaits. Just have to stick with it and time them right. Also, have done really good on texas rig.