Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Posts
    2,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Fly Fishing for Whities???

    Rock brought up a interesting idea for targeting whities on the fly rod. Since I'm realitively new to fishing for whities, I had never tried the FR. Anyone else tried it? Any success? If so, what flies? Just curious...think I would like to try it out this March when they run. I was thinking maybe some streamer patterns and possibly buggers. Thanks.

    -Rich

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Burkesville,Ky
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    Hey Rich I do not flyfish but I do fish the river for whites in the spring I love it I dream of fishing in the spring all the time for them in the CR they get big too up to two pounds and some over, they are so fun on rods and reel I would love to fish fly for them only a few week until they run I hope the river will be ready for it to

    Have Fun and Be Safe GREEN RIVER TIME

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wolf Creek Dam
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Rock brought up a interesting idea for targeting whities on the fly rod. Since I'm realitively new to fishing for whities, I had never tried the FR. Anyone else tried it? Any success? If so, what flies? Just curious...think I would like to try it out this March when they run. I was thinking maybe some streamer patterns and possibly buggers. Thanks.

    -Rich
    I googled white bass flies and found several good site with patterns and recipes. Like you said the old stand by Bugger will catch anything was one of them. In white and Chatreuse. Clouser in Gray and white, Olive and white and blue and white. Chartreuse Zonker, Gummy Minnow, Etc.

    Also read a short Blog on This. And the advise was that a 5 Wt Trout rod is not really big enough. Especially if you hook in to one over 2 #

    I plan on trying it as soon as they start running

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bromley Beach
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    I was thinking a six myself. Minnow imitations eh? There is a creek down the road up here they used to run into every spring, think I'll have to hit em when it gets back into the 50s. Saw those Gummy Minnows for the first time in San Diego a few months ago and they looked and felt real nice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Posts
    2,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    I googled white bass flies and found several good site with patterns and recipes. Like you said the old stand by Bugger will catch anything was one of them. In white and Chatreuse. Clouser in Gray and white, Olive and white and blue and white. Chartreuse Zonker, Gummy Minnow, Etc.

    Also read a short Blog on This. And the advise was that a 5 Wt Trout rod is not really big enough. Especially if you hook in to one over 2 #

    I plan on trying it as soon as they start running
    Thanks Rock! I find it hard to believe that a 5wt isn't big enough....I've caughten 10lb trout on a 5 Wt, and several carp around 20lb! We caught several 2# whities last spring on light spinning gear, and there was nothing about them that would make me think that a 5wt wouldn't be enough IMHO. Weird? I'm going to stick with my 5wt, and if a whitie breaks it....well, then I deserve it! Didn't think about those gummy minnows, they would be perfect! Thanks Rock!

    -Rich

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wolf Creek Dam
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Thanks Rock! I find it hard to believe that a 5wt isn't big enough....I've caughten 10lb trout on a 5 Wt, and several carp around 20lb! We caught several 2# whities last spring on light spinning gear, and there was nothing about them that would make me think that a 5wt wouldn't be enough IMHO. Weird? I'm going to stick with my 5wt, and if a whitie breaks it....well, then I deserve it! Didn't think about those gummy minnows, they would be perfect! Thanks Rock!

    -Rich
    Now Rich, How am I ever going to talk Mrs Rock_Fish into buying me a 8-10 Wt ZG Helios if she reads this ?

    Maybe I can say " THEY HAD THEM ON CLEARANCE " HA !

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    I have fished at the Falls of the Ohio for white bass and sauger using a Chartreuse Clouser minnow. At times, I will also take a spinning rod with a chartreuse jig head and curly tail and both outfits had similar success.

    I have never had success with the gummy minnows. They look cool in the store, but just do not have much "action" to them in the water. Maybe I'm fishing them wrong, just my personal results.


    Can't wait till the snow clears and the river levels drop, I've got cabin fever bad!

    *Edit - Also, I use an 8wt rod with floating line when I'm throwing huge, 3-4 inch streamers. Not so much for the fish fighting ability as the ability to throw a big honking streamer all day long.

    ***I have also used an 8wt with sinking line and REALLY big streamers at places like Guist Creek in Shelby County and Lake Monroe up in Bloomington, IN to fly fish for hybrids/wipers. It's about as different from stream fishing for 6" trout as it gets, but man it's a HOOT when you hook into one of those bad boys.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wolf Creek Dam
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
    I have fished at the Falls of the Ohio for white bass and sauger using a Chartreuse Clouser minnow. At times, I will also take a spinning rod with a chartreuse jig head and curly tail and both outfits had similar success.

    I have never had success with the gummy minnows. They look cool in the store, but just do not have much "action" to them in the water. Maybe I'm fishing them wrong, just my personal results.


    Can't wait till the snow clears and the river levels drop, I've got cabin fever bad!

    *Edit - Also, I use an 8wt rod with floating line when I'm throwing huge, 3-4 inch streamers. Not so much for the fish fighting ability as the ability to throw a big honking streamer all day long.

    ***I have also used an 8wt with sinking line and REALLY big streamers at places like Guist Creek in Shelby County and Lake Monroe up in Bloomington, IN to fly fish for hybrids/wipers. It's about as different from stream fishing for 6" trout as it gets, but man it's a HOOT when you hook into one of those bad boys.
    So do you ever wish you had a fighting Butt when you hook one of those big rascals ? Or does your rod have one?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Posts
    2,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Now Rich, How am I ever going to talk Mrs Rock_Fish into buying me a 8-10 Wt ZG Helios if she reads this ?

    Maybe I can say " THEY HAD THEM ON CLEARANCE " HA !
    I mean...........um....I can't imagine being able to land a whitie with a 5wt fly rod. It would definitely take, at the minimum, a 8-10wt ZG Helios to land one.

    I thought we were talking about Whitefish in western waters, they aren't nearly as good of fighters as White "bass"......my fault.

    -Rich

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    So do you ever wish you had a fighting Butt when you hook one of those big rascals ? Or does your rod have one?
    I do have a fighting butt on both my 8 weight rods. Comes in pretty handy on an 8-10 pound hybrid. Unfortunately, that scenario had been really lacking the last year or two, not been having much luck on the wipers recently.

    Maybe this will be the year to get that fighting butt back in action!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wolf Creek Dam
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I mean...........um....I can't imagine being able to land a whitie with a 5wt fly rod. It would definitely take, at the minimum, a 8-10wt ZG Helios to land one.

    I thought we were talking about Whitefish in western waters, they aren't nearly as good of fighters as White "bass"......my fault.

    -Rich
    I have to agree with you Rich ! LOL

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Shepherdsville
    Posts
    5,596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fly Fishing for Whities???

    I am going to give it a try this year. I live nearly on the banks of the Salt River and have been told it gets a pretty good run. There is a city park close to my house that has some good looking riffles and I am going to hit that area with the fly rod soon.

Similar Threads

  1. Fishing For Kids fishing Derby (Fagan Branch)
    By fishing4kids in forum Kentucky Fishing Tournaments
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 08:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •