Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Attractor patterns

What re your favorites. I am partial to Royal Wulff myself. It is the first dry fly I caught a fish on and they are pretty effective on small streams.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Attractor patterns

Tim-
    I'm with ya on the Royal Wulff....heck, any of the Wulff family works nicely. I also love the Renegade & double Renegade....perhaps because it was my Dad's go to fly while I was growing up. He loved that fly, and threw it religiously on all trout waters. To this day, he will still whip out the Renegade...even when my brother and I are slaying them on nymphs! lol! He always says, "I'm not going to bobber fish"...which is what he calls nymphing with indicators, lol. The double renegade was a staple of ours up on the Snake River, ID during th salmon fly hatch in summer. Caught some monsters on it. Also works on the Green River. Good fly.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Attractor patterns

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Tim-
    I'm with ya on the Royal Wulff....heck, any of the Wulff family works nicely. I also love the Renegade & double Renegade....perhaps because it was my Dad's go to fly while I was growing up. He loved that fly, and threw it religiously on all trout waters. To this day, he will still whip out the Renegade...even when my brother and I are slaying them on nymphs! lol! He always says, "I'm not going to bobber fish"...which is what he calls nymphing with indicators, lol. The double renegade was a staple of ours up on the Snake River, ID during th salmon fly hatch in summer. Caught some monsters on it. Also works on the Green River. Good fly.

-Rich
    Mrs Rock_Fish says that little kids use a bobber. I say It is not a Bobber, It is called an Indicator ! She says, Looks like a bobber to me ! ( She fishes off the bottom with power eggs ) LOL , And I still use an Indicator when fishing small midges or Nymphs.

Will have to check out that Renegade !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Mrs Rock_Fish says that little kids use a bobber. I say It is not a Bobber, It is called an Indicator ! She says, Looks like a bobber to me ! ( She fishes off the bottom with power eggs ) LOL , And I still use an Indicator when fishing small midges or Nymphs.

Will have to check out that Renegade !
    Lol! Just noticed your new avatar Rock....like it!

I have always used an indicator when nymphing. I've also fished with guys who won't touch them......but to tell ya the truth, I always outfish them! lol! Not sure why some FFners are so against them???

Definitely check out the renegade, it is a real simple fly to tie...brown hackle, peacock herl body, white hackle....done. The double renegade is the same deal, just more of it.....brwn, peacock, white, peacock, brwn.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Attractor patterns

Lol! Just noticed your new avatar Rock....like it!

I have always used an indicator when nymphing. I've also fished with guys who won't touch them......but to tell ya the truth, I always outfish them! lol! Not sure why some FFners are so against them???

Definitely check out the renegade, it is a real simple fly to tie...brown hackle, peacock herl body, white hackle....done. The double renegade is the same deal, just more of it.....brwn, peacock, white, peacock, brwn.

-Rich
    YA , I did a search on that last night. Looks pretty easy to tie for sure. And you can mix up the colors on the Hackles also one site said. ( My White hackle is kinda discolored ) Now I need to make another order !

I am definitely going to try it !

Post Thanks / Like

YA , I did a search on that last night. Looks pretty easy to tie for sure. And you can mix up the colors on the Hackles also one site said. ( My White hackle is kinda discolored ) Now I need to make another order !

I am definitely going to try it !
    Don't think the fish care too much, you are right. White then brwn, or brwn then white. I've seen both. Make sure to show pics when you are done!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Attractor patterns

Don't think the fish care too much, you are right. White then brwn, or brwn then white. I've seen both. Make sure to show pics when you are done!

-Rich
    Well I meant more like black on one end and red on the other. The colors are for the fisherman anyway. Everybody knows that fish are color blind ! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Well I meant more like black on one end and red on the other. The colors are for the fisherman anyway. Everybody knows that fish are color blind ! LOL
    My father would be apalled by such talk Rock! A black and red Renegade! lol! I should have never told you about the Renegade......LOL! In fact, now I'm interested to see a black and red renegade....

Trout color blind!? Now I've heard it all, lol! They might go color blind after seeing the black and red renegade!!!! LMAO!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

My father would be apalled by such talk Rock! A black and red Renegade! lol! I should have never told you about the Renegade......LOL! In fact, now I'm interested to see a black and red renegade....

Trout color blind!? Now I've heard it all, lol! They might go color blind after seeing the black and red renegade!!!! LMAO!

-Rich
    Ya, That was a joke about them being Blind ! But think about what colors are used in a Red copper john, Or a royal Wulff ???

You never know Rich !

Post Thanks / Like

I think red and black are the finest colors available. Especially seeing the results today lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, That was a joke about them being Blind ! But think about what colors are used in a Red copper john, Or a royal Wulff ???

You never know Rich !
    Just playing Rock....I love to experiment with variations on the classics! I would really like to see a red and black renegade! Heck, I'm color blind too, so I probably couldn't even tell the difference! Man, now I want to tie some renegade variations...I do need some more white hackle....that stuff is expensive!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Just playing Rock....I love to experiment with variations on the classics! I would really like to see a red and black renegade! Heck, I'm color blind too, so I probably couldn't even tell the difference! Man, now I want to tie some renegade variations...I do need some more white hackle....that stuff is expensive!

-Rich
    Well if I would just order what I needed rather than getting sucked in by the " Wal Mart " Effect. Which is thinking to myself. I hate to pay that shipping just for one item, And I could really use some other colors also. And while I am at it, Pick up a few more hooks. And I really need some more thread.

Man, I started out to order some orange rabbit strips the other day. And before I was done, I had almost $ 200.00 in materials ordered. But that included several Real Eyes. (Dumbbell Eyes) in 3-4 different sizes and 2-3 different colors. Then a few more pick me up items. It does not take long to run into some coins !