Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laurel Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Laurel Lake

I plan on fishing Laurel River Lake this year, I have only been on it once. I would like to know what would be the best and close ramp from 75. I have been to Holly Bay, but it seems to take a long time to get there.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Laurel Lake

Grambo,

If you are coming from the North, Marsh Branch will be the closest ramp for you. It is before you get to Holly Bay and is the first ramp for Laurel you come to on Hwy 192. If you are coming from the south (Williamsburg), then Hightop would be the closest with Grove not a lot further. These are off the south Corbin exit, which is Hwy 25. I have heard about vehicle break-ins at Hightop last year, don't know how it will be this year. Grove is a marina and is much safer to park at.

Hydra

Post Thanks / Like

Hydrablade's advice is spot on, the only thing I would add if you are choosing between Marsh Branch and Holly Bay and are staying overnight or for the weekend I would drive the extra distance and go to Holly Bay. I have parked at Marsh Branch many times and my vehicle has never been bothered, but historically speaking there has been many more issues there than at the marina as far as theft, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I use marsh branch myself, never had anything bothered. but I have thought that, this place needs more lighting. I think one light is all they have down their, as they are so pleased to take every ones 30.00 for a parking pass. you would think they would use some of the parking pass money, to put up another light or two. when leaving at night, you need a flash light to strap your boat down.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year, the one light that they have at the ramp at Marsh Branch didn't work until sometime in the summer. We thought about buying a bulb and fixing the dang thing ourselves! And my fishing partner's toolbox in his truck was broken into there about 3 years ago. But that's the only trouble we've ever had. The $30 we have to pay for the parking pass has not resulted in one single improvement at any of the ramps as far as I can see.

Post Thanks / Like

Laurel is a small lake, if you have a boat motor and can make short runs I say go with Grove or Hollybay. Its worth it if you still have your catalytic converter at the end of the day. I had to learn the hard way in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Knock on wood, I've not had any problems at Marsh Branch, but I have saw some shady characters there when coming in to take out in the middle of the night. I wouldn't leave my truck and trailer at night at Flatwoods if you paid me. I always put in at Grove when I fish that side of the lake and run to where I want to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Where or should I say Who ...does this "parking money" go too???? $30.00 that is unreal!!!!....I've never paid that much to "park" anywhere in my life...to go fishing! I don't think you have to pay that much at Disney World to park!! Now that folks is "white colar" crime at it's best! You can't give me one good reason why a tax paying American would pay 30.00 to park at a lake..to go fishing!. I was planning on a nice three day camping trip to Laurel Lake in May??? I just refuse to pay that much to park my truck and trailer there...is it that much at Holly Bay as well? Is it 30.00 a day???....It's been a long time sence I've been there....30.00!!!!! that is nuts

Post Thanks / Like

$30 is for a yearly parking pass. You can get a one day pass for $3. Or, you can put in at Craigs Creek ramp which is very close to Holly Bay without a pass. But be careful if you leave your truck overnight there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HydraBlade View Post
    $30 is for a yearly parking pass. You can get a one day pass for $3. Or, you can put in at Craigs Creek ramp which is very close to Holly Bay without a pass. But be careful if you leave your truck overnight there.
    Oh...yea, OK...I have heard of the $30 parking pass for ...what most lakes in Ky. now; I guess I just jumped the gun a little?? That is different...even though not to thrilled over that as well. That makes more sence though.....I hope I never catch somebody breaking into my stuff....it would get real ugly fast. The law ought to set up some "stings"...some "dummy trucks" to catch these thieves!

Post Thanks / Like

The $30 pass for Laurel is from the Forest Service, and will only work at lakes where parking is administered by the Forest Service. The pass for Laurel can't be used at Cumberland or any other lake where it is administered by the Corps of Engineers. Just 1 more way to get money...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HydraBlade View Post
    The $30 pass for Laurel is from the Forest Service, and will only work at lakes where parking is administered by the Forest Service. The pass for Laurel can't be used at Cumberland or any other lake where it is administered by the Corps of Engineers. Just 1 more way to get money...
    It does work on other Forest Service lakes at least. You can use an annual pass on Cave Run for example. And not to take a side but its not that high to be fair. $30 is the annual pass its like $3 a day or something. Its still cheaper than most lake ramps these days. Many are $5 a day. I have seen some up to $8 and some are more.