Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

wolf creek dam trip

taking a weekend trip below the dam for some wallye/sauger fishing next weekend.

this is our first trip for anything but trout here and will be fishing out of a boat.

any tips? i am not much of a walleye/sauger fisherman but am a big fan of their flavor.

also, need to know where we can pick up some minnows or shad in the area this time of year.

i understand the corps is dumping water like mad and likely will be next weekend as well. it was the same last time i was down for trout (sluice gates wide open) but we still caught plenty of fish. hoping all goes well and the fish are there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wolf creek dam trip

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    taking a weekend trip below the dam for some wallye/sauger fishing next weekend.

this is our first trip for anything but trout here and will be fishing out of a boat.

any tips? i am not much of a walleye/sauger fisherman but am a big fan of their flavor.

also, need to know where we can pick up some minnows or shad in the area this time of year.

i understand the corps is dumping water like mad and likely will be next weekend as well. it was the same last time i was down for trout (sluice gates wide open) but we still caught plenty of fish. hoping all goes well and the fish are there.

There is a country Store not far from the Dam that has minnows , shiners , night crawlers , etc. It is a BP. From the Dam just head towards Jamestown. It is about 5 miles roughly on the right. You cannot miss it.

And I bet you can plan on plenty of water from the Dam. They have been running 5 generators and 4 sluice gates. I have not heard of anyone doing much good in a boat when they are generating so much !

Good Luck, And post on the trip and let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    There is a country Store not far from the Dam that has minnows , shiners , night crawlers , etc. It is a BP. From the Dam just head towards Jamestown. It is about 5 miles roughly on the right. You cannot miss it.

And I bet you can plan on plenty of water from the Dam. They have been running 5 generators and 4 sluice gates. I have not heard of anyone doing much good in a boat when they are generating so much !

Good Luck, And post on the trip and let us know how it goes.
    Name of the store is Lake Country Outdoors.

Post Thanks / Like

Barefoot, they're discharging over 27,000 cfs and have been for some time. The lake level is at 701 (21-ft. higher than their target), so they won't be letting up on the discharge rate for some time. Seriously recommend not having a boat near the dam. But, if you do be real careful. Bad things happen real fast in these situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markmac60 View Post
    Barefoot, they're discharging over 27,000 cfs and have been for some time. The lake level is at 701 (21-ft. higher than their target), so they won't be letting up on the discharge rate for some time. Seriously recommend not having a boat near the dam. But, if you do be real careful. Bad things happen real fast in these situations.
    I second that warning. You may want to make other plans.....

Post Thanks / Like

lake cumerland outdoors is between russell springs and jamestown. the store that they are talking about is lake cumberland country store on 127. they don't carry shad but they carry shinners and suckers.

Post Thanks / Like

well guys, i realize that the timing may be a bit off with the predicted snow and massive discharge from the dam. however, work has been requested off and plans have been made far in advance. i am going camping and fishing regardless of the all of this. i would be willing to change locations if someone could recommend another good tail water in the area that has trout and walleye. my thoughts are, water will be up everywhere. maybe clinch? anyone know what is going on on the clinch right about now? are there walleye that come up there as well?

i was below wolf creek a few months ago when the sluice gates were open and the generators were on full blast due to the large amounts of rain and consequent lake level. water was waaay up and clarity was a bit murky! my dad and i were out in a 14 ft john boat with a 9.9 mercury and still did pretty good. will be taking a bigger boat this time and will stay away from the dam if it looks bad.