Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Need Suggestions

I received my tax bill for my boat, and about fell out of my chair. I have a 2001 Ranger 520DVX, and last year they taxed me for $44,000.00 which I thought was ridiculous, but this year they are taxing me for a boat value of $50,000.00 which is a joke. First how can they raise the value like that when the boat is a year older, and how can I fight this value, there is now way my boat is worth that much, you can buy a new one for that much money! Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I think my boat is worth about $20,000.00, but I dont think I could get close to that amount with the economy the way it is. Has anyone ever had to deal with this, if so, I would really like your help, or suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by wishniwasfishn View Post
    I received my tax bill for my boat, and about fell out of my chair. I have a 2001 Ranger 520DVX, and last year they taxed me for $44,000.00 which I thought was ridiculous, but this year they are taxing me for a boat value of $50,000.00 which is a joke. First how can they raise the value like that when the boat is a year older, and how can I fight this value, there is now way my boat is worth that much, you can buy a new one for that much money! Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I think my boat is worth about $20,000.00, but I dont think I could get close to that amount with the economy the way it is. Has anyone ever had to deal with this, if so, I would really like your help, or suggestions.
    wishniwasfishin:: I had the same thing happen 2 years ago here in Nelson Co. I was at a friends boat shop and told them about it, they took my boat ID.number and ran it through the computer, blue book, and printed the blue book price for boat, motor and trailer .Took the letter to county clearks office and they lowered the taxes to the blue book price.Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerousdave View Post
    wishniwasfishin:: I had the same thing happen 2 years ago here in Nelson Co. I was at a friends boat shop and told them about it, they took my boat ID.number and ran it through the computer, blue book, and printed the blue book price for boat, motor and trailer .Took the letter to county clerks office and they lowered the taxes to the blue book price.Dave
    Exactly.... Most times they will be happy to adjust.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions, will print the NADA price and take it up there!!!

Post Thanks / Like

happened to me on my truck a few years back and the clerks office entered the wrong vin number! check your numbers and make sure they are correct so you won't have the same problem later! if they value it at 50grand tell them to buy it for that and you can get a new one

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my tax statement on my boat trailer, They had it valued at $50,000 for the trailer only, this is off a 17.5 ft alumimun boat. The tax was $655.00, I called the Bullitt County PVA and they said there were some computer problem's (so they say) . Anyway readjusted to value of $655.00 with a tax due of $8.08, big difference.
    Just call them, they should straighten it out,then again they are running short on money.
    Goodluck Kydog

Post Thanks / Like

They raised my tax on My tahoe 5k this yr.I'm going too see if they will adjust it and if they don't they will have too wait too get the cash,i traded it and got a plate good 4 a yr.Sooner or later they will get it.Just like the IRS i owe them and thought i would get a few $ back from state but got the letter today saying they will be sending my return too IRS.Humm no wonder i guy would fly off.......................

Post Thanks / Like

I recieved my trailer tax a couple days ago on my 20 foot Gambler and it said that it was only valued at $200 with a tax due of $2.35. I think I got lucky on the trailer. Have not recieved the boat statement yet.

Post Thanks / Like

The raise comes from Frankfort according to my Co. Tax man. They raised the value of both my vehicles by $500 to $700 which amounted to about $15 on each vehicle additional tax. They reluctantly changed it to 5% below the previous year, and refunded the tax money as my wife had already paid it. I think they have done this statewide, it would be a good idea for everyone to check their assessed value against the previous year.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they in the process of sending out tax bills for boats right now? We just bought one last year and I haven't received my tax bill on it yet. But they did send me one for my camper that I sold last year. I don't know, maybe they were hoping I'd forget I sold it and just pay the taxes on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, thats why I love this site, you can always find someone who has had the same problem, or just willing to lend you a hand! This is a great site!!! Got PVA's number in Bullitt co. and will call them Monday. I like Harry's suggestion, tell them to buy it for 50 grand, and I will just go get a new one!!!