Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question The Knot ? what do you use ?

Ok, You all have seen " A River Runs Through It " What do you think the knot is at the beginning that the old man is tying ? Whatever it is I knew I did not use it. And after looking around the web some at all the knot sites. I think it might be the "Turtle Knot " With a Palomar coming in as second choice. I have since started using the Palomar when possible. It has Like 95% strength. I had always used the improved clinch before that.

This is a 2 Part question now

What do you all think the knot is ?

And what Knots do you all use ???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Knot ? what do you use ?

Sorry. Can't help with the "RRTI" knot. I use a Palomar knot except for small lures where I have trouble getting the doubled-over line through the eyelet. In that case, I use an Orvis knot, which I learned from an insert in an Orvis tapered leader package.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Palomar whenever possible. I will sometimes use an improved clinch and I also like the Orvis knot.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the knot they tie in RRTI is called the "Hollywood" knot, lol! I honestly don't remember, I'll have to rent it and watch it again.

I've tried to find the knot that I use several times, and have never found a name for it. It is a knot that my great-grandfather, grandfather, and father have used...and it is the knot that my father taught me when I was a babe. Nothing fancy...real simple...but never had problems with it. I was just googling knots again to see if I could find it, and I stumbled across a pic of a knot that looks like it, and they call it a "Reel" knot...

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Reel_Knot.gif

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I believe the knot they tie in RRTI is called the "Hollywood" knot, lol! -Rich
    I was told that it was called the Brad Pitt knot. Of course my wife told me that so who knows!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I was told that it was called the Brad Pitt knot. Of course my wife told me that so who knows!
    Probably the same knot he uses to tie up all his money bags!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I believe the knot they tie in RRTI is called the "Hollywood" knot, lol! I honestly don't remember, I'll have to rent it and watch it again.

I've tried to find the knot that I use several times, and have never found a name for it. It is a knot that my great-grandfather, grandfather, and father have used...and it is the knot that my father taught me when I was a babe. Nothing fancy...real simple...but never had problems with it. I was just googling knots again to see if I could find it, and I stumbled across a pic of a knot that looks like it, and they call it a "Reel" knot...

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Reel_Knot.gif

-Rich
    Rich I have used this knot for years with about everything except tying hooks which I tie a palmor knot because

I think it is easier to tie a Palmor knot if you do not have any weight ot hold the line while I tie it. I learned this knot when fishing Bull Shoals the person who showed it to me called it a Bull Shoals night knot. I know this is a local name but I love the knot.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone tie a loop knot when using streamers? I watched a show on sportsman channel that the guy was using that know and it looked like it gives the streamer more action. It also didn't look hard to tie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Does anyone tie a loop knot when using streamers? I watched a show on sportsman channel that the guy was using that know and it looked like it gives the streamer more action. It also didn't look hard to tie.
    The easiest one I know is the surgeon's loop:
    http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsloop/index.php

Post Thanks / Like

I tie a variation of the double surgeons knot when joining 2 pieces of tippet.
    Usually of different sizes. Never had a break @ the knot.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time I use a simple improved clinch knot. Sometimes I'll use a pitson knot, especially for attaching droppers. If I'm using a streamer a simple no-slip mono knot or uni-knot is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Brad should use that knot to tie up Angelina, apparently she gets, uh, well, lets just say if she where a man she would be in jail and have her children taken away from her.
    I use a Duncan Loop sometimes but have been looking for one that doesn't come untied so easily, or maybe just isn't so easy to for me to screw up. Have tried the doubled over, double knot deal for small loops and it works fine for small/medium fish but it doesn't have the give to compensate for large savage striking fish on light tippet. Looks like that Orvis knot will soon have it's day in court.