Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question The Furled Leaders !

Has anyone used any of the furled leaders? I have been using them for a while now. I order the ones with the small metal ring at the end to tie your tippet to.
    I get a braided fluorocarbon one and a few controlled sink ones. That have a loop that joins the Fly line loop. Hand to Hand connection. That make them fast and easy to change and reuse of course. I used two of them for a whole season. One float, and one sink. They turn over pretty nice until you get too heavy of a fly on there. Like a large BH Bully Wugger !

What kind of leaders do you guys use ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Furled Leaders !

I have built and used furled leaders in the past. They were great while i was still learning to cast because they were much more forgiving. Since then I've switched back to a hand tied mono leader. I typically tie it with mono for the first 5 feet and put a perfection loop in the end. From there I will use mono or flourocarbon depending on the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

If I may;

What kind of mono do you find to be most effective?

How do you build it down?

What sort of knot do you use to join the sections or do you have a better method?

I also am a fan of the perfection loop, so simple and yet so effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
    I have built and used furled leaders in the past. They were great while i was still learning to cast because they were much more forgiving. Since then I've switched back to a hand tied mono leader. I typically tie it with mono for the first 5 feet and put a perfection loop in the end. From there I will use mono or flourocarbon depending on the situation.
    Well I done it backwards ! I learned to cast with a regular tapered flluoro leader. Then switched to a furled leader for the longevity of it !

Post Thanks / Like

When I am nymphing or streaming (which is 99.9% of the time) I use straight 10lb fluorocarbon for my leader. I then attach whatever fluoro tippet I am going to use directly to that. If I am going to do some dry flying (0.1% of the time) I will use a tapered fluoro leader. I buy 100% pure fluoro in bulk for leaders and tippets. Much cheaper than buying tiny individualized fluoro spools for $15 a pop! If I am float tubing and stripping buggers at Strawberry Reservior in UT, I will bump everything up! 14lb fluoro leader with 10 lb fluoro tippet! Those monster cutts/bows up there will break you off in a sec! LOVE IT! Average fish over 20"! I can't talk about it anymore.....feeling shakey

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious, is it cheaper to tie your own leaders and how hard is it to learn? I have never tried, I just buy the tapered Orvis leaders and carry some spools of tippet with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I am curious, is it cheaper to tie your own leaders and how hard is it to learn? I have never tried, I just buy the tapered Orvis leaders and carry some spools of tippet with me.
    Tim-
    I have found that if you are nymphing or streaming, just a straight fluoro leader of any poundage will work just fine. Like I said, I generally use a 10-12lb fluoro leader, then attach my tippet to that. If I am trying to turn over a dry fly 40yds away, then I will use a tapered leader.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Tim-
    I have found that if you are nymphing or streaming, just a straight fluoro leader of any poundage will work just fine. Like I said, I generally use a 10-12lb fluoro leader, then attach my tippet to that. If I am trying to turn over a dry fly 40yds away, then I will use a tapered leader.

-Rich
    Rich, Did you mean 40 Feet ? Or 40 Yards ? Because 40 yards would put you 30 feet into your backing. Typical fly line spools are 90 feet. I get real close to casting a full spool sometimes. But have not quite made it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Rich, Did you mean 40 Feet ? Or 40 Yards ? Because 40 yards would put you 30 feet into your backing. Typical fly line spools are 90 feet. I get real close to casting a full spool sometimes. But have not quite made it yet.
    Correction......40ft! Thanks Rock. lol!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: The Furled Leaders !

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Have you ever seen those guys with about 6-7 spools of tippet around their neck? Most of them tie the whole leader. Starting with a section of large tippet. Then every foot or two they tie a smaller tippet. Then smaller. They get a leader suited to their current fly and fishing conditions. I talked to one of them one day that said his leader is always around 12' long.

I always just used a tapered leader. And when the end starts getting short, Or too large to tie in a # 18 fly. Add some 5x , 6x , 7x tippet to the end to suit your fishin.

But now I just use the furled leader. And tie the selected size of tippet that I need on the end of that. I have just about quit using 7x ! Due to too many break offs !

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested in building furled leaders without the use of jigs or tools we have posted instructions and video at: http://www.flatslander.com/leaderbuilding.html This is one method of making furled leaders for only a few cents each and they can be customized to your own casting/fly needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Have you ever seen those guys with about 6-7 spools of tippet around their neck? Most of them tie the whole leader. Starting with a section of large tippet. Then every foot or two they tie a smaller tippet. Then smaller. They get a leader suited to their current fly and fishing conditions. I talked to one of them one day that said his leader is always around 12' long.
    Don't like this method for several reasons (as I'm sure you guys don't either). First....too many points for your line to break. Having to tie 3-4 line connections makes for several points of weakness and possible breaking. Secondly.....WHAT A PAIN! Having to spend all that time whipping out different lines and tying...no thanks. Lastly....just looks bad. Bunch of knots all the way down to your fly...na. So pointless when you can just buy a beautifully tapered leader for some change.

A 12' leader! Holy Crap! My leaders go around 5'-6' at the most, then I'll add 2'-3' tippet to that. I couldn't imagine nymphing with that much leader! I'll stick to my straight fluoro for nymphing, and tapered fluoro for drying.

-Rich