Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HURRICANEBOB Guest

High Financial Risk Fishing

Went to Bass Pros in Clarksville In this Saturday. First time there for a while. Just about passed out when I saw what some fishing lures were selling for. Got into a whole section of Luscky Craft lures, most ran $14.99, clean up to $24.99 a piece, and a show stopper 5.5 inch Trout looking lure for $30.99. Was just about to recover from that when I happened into the Tru-Tungsten lures. Cheap one there was $19.99, a lot ran $29.99, and then my evye caught this 7 inch long 4 section Trout imitating lure that was......ready......$49.99!!!!!!. My knees got weak again, and I stumbled over to the the good ole Bandits and Cotton Cordells and Bandits in the $5-7 range.

I got to thinking. Wondered how I'd feel fishing the Cumberland River throwing a $49.99 swim bait that looked like a Trout if one of those 40 pound monster Stripers hit it. I think I be more afraid of losing the lure than the fish. Could you fish with a lure that cost that much and not be scared half silly if something darn big hit it? Is this crazy? Do the lure folks really buy this stuff? If ya buy a lure for that much, are you really gonna fish with it, or put it in the safe with your savings bonds?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High Financial Risk Fishing

I bought one of those $17.99 lures 2 years ago sure looks pretty sitting in the tackle box can't seem to make myself tie it on.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish are lucky! they have never had an original idea since creation, they are products of their enviroment. fishermen? not so lucky. SIN ENVY, Sloth, covetry The guy fishing with a douhball for limber lip trout looks in envy at a guy throwing a 1.25 cleo on a zebco 33, and it progresses even further. We can be and are manipulated by tackle envy.I've got 3 of those lucky craft lures in my box, use them often,and have not even had a bump on one of them. But now that shad raps are close to the 8 buck mark, are they working better than the 5 buck ones?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ya there....Bandits, Rapalas and a few others are it for me. Making your own is the way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. The old lure knocker and super glue pay for themselves pretty quick. Don't see me buying many more crankbaits in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Went to Bass Pros in Clarksville In this Saturday. First time there for a while. Just about passed out when I saw what some fishing lures were selling for. Got into a whole section of Luscky Craft lures, most ran $14.99, clean up to $24.99 a piece, and a show stopper 5.5 inch Trout looking lure for $30.99. Was just about to recover from that when I happened into the Tru-Tungsten lures. Cheap one there was $19.99, a lot ran $29.99, and then my evye caught this 7 inch long 4 section Trout imitating lure that was......ready......$49.99!!!!!!. My knees got weak again, and I stumbled over to the the good ole Bandits and Cotton Cordells and Bandits in the $5-7 range.

I got to thinking. Wondered how I'd feel fishing the Cumberland River throwing a $49.99 swim bait that looked like a Trout if one of those 40 pound monster Stripers hit it. I think I be more afraid of losing the lure than the fish. Could you fish with a lure that cost that much and not be scared half silly if something darn big hit it? Is this crazy? Do the lure folks really buy this stuff? If ya buy a lure for that much, are you really gonna fish with it, or put it in the safe with your savings bonds?

I would catch a salesman and say " HEY YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE THIS MIS_ MARKED " ??? Then , Do you get a discount ??? Can I use your Discount ??? What is the sale price today ??? I have had a few salesmen stuttering and talking to themselves ! THAT THING OUGHTA CATCH EM BY ITSELF !!! LMAO !!! I Make the older ones wish they had went to college ! And make the younger ones want to finish College ! But Most of them get a great laugh and have fun ! I am not a Nightmare customer. If they are already having a bad day. I simply Thank them for their time , Without all the yada yada ! Gotta laugh and have fun ! Life is Short !!!

Post Thanks / Like

haha try being a muskie fisherman. On average our baits run from $15-$30 a piece!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they are expensive, and then there is the insult of a small northern pike tearing up some of those soft baits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post

Lots of lures are meant to catch FISHERMAN.............and I think quite a few of these do.

I mean really.......50 bucks for a hunk of 1 dollar plastic........RIGHT.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I have went through some drastic measures to justify the money I spend on fishing gear to my wife, and believe me I have laid out some whoppers. But not even I can't come up with a load a bologne that could justify spending that kind of dough on a single lure. I'd actually know if I did that I really do have a problem. So I won't and I'll stay in denial.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassiusmaximus View Post
    I have went through some drastic measures to justify the money I spend on fishing gear to my wife, and believe me I have laid out some whoppers. But not even I can't come up with a load a bologne that could justify spending that kind of dough on a single lure. I'd actually know if I did that I really do have a problem. So I won't and I'll stay in denial.
    Same here. HA!

Post Thanks / Like

Bob they didn't tell you? Those are not for fishing them is high $$$ ART for your pontoon