Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

shimano crucial! your opinion please

I have been looking for a good jigging and flippin rod and have been really looking at the carrot stix. I know that the G. Loomis is A great rod Period and though i dont own 1 I have talked to plenty of people tp justify that statement. I wound up buying a shimano crucial {cant beat warranty 15bucks the i get a new rod at he store no matter what} but have not got to try it out yet. just lookin for some feeed back on these rods. I have a revo sx on it as of now but my plan for this rod is to do alote of filppin at cedar creek in the cedars and cover. Bigggest reason is i live live 4 miles from any of the three ramps from the llake and there is some BIG bass in the lake !!!!!!!!! I am gonna buy 1 more rod this spring and would like a heavy action rod but dont know if i neeed it??? I have madde uo my mind tobe a competive jig flip fisherman!! Just lookin for opinion andcomments. please speak your mind. i also live 1 hr from cumberland anr green and bout 1.5 hr from dale! just lookin for input and all comments are wlcome! thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: shimano crucial! your opinion please

Quote Originally Posted by crappie chaser View Post
    I have been looking for a good jigging and flippin rod and have been really looking at the carrot stix. I know that the G. Loomis is A great rod Period and though i dont own 1 I have talked to plenty of people tp justify that statement. I wound up buying a shimano crucial {cant beat warranty 15bucks the i get a new rod at he store no matter what} but have not got to try it out yet. just lookin for some feeed back on these rods. I have a revo sx on it as of now but my plan for this rod is to do alote of filppin at cedar creek in the cedars and cover. Bigggest reason is i live live 4 miles from any of the three ramps from the llake and there is some BIG bass in the lake !!!!!!!!! I am gonna buy 1 more rod this spring and would like a heavy action rod but dont know if i neeed it??? I have madde uo my mind tobe a competive jig flip fisherman!! Just lookin for opinion andcomments. please speak your mind. i also live 1 hr from cumberland anr green and bout 1.5 hr from dale! just lookin for input and all comments are wlcome! thanks
    I live in Danville, own the 7'6" MH Flippin Stick, and have put it to work on Cedar Creek many times. I don't know if you really need the heavy action unless you are going to be pitching with 80lb+ braid. I use 50-65lb braid on mine sometimes, but mostly 20-25lb fluorocarbon. I love mine. Very sensitive for its size and action. Also has a split-grip handle which increases sensitivity and reduces overall weight of the rod. Definitely worth every penny. I didn't really think I needed the Heavy, so I settled on the MH and it is an absolute crowbar -- definitely a whoopin' stick! When you get into longer rods, the actions (in my opinion) are actually a little stiffer. The action of the 7'6" MH Crucial is probably a heavy action in other rod brand lines. Overall, very satisfied and haven't had a problem yet (and I abuse it).

Post Thanks / Like

Crucial makes a fine rod at a good price point.

In a flipping stick though, I would likely find something other then a Crucial. In that price range, I'd go with a Powell or Dobyn's. The Powel should weight in around 5oz whereas the Crucial will be 6.5 with full cork. I'd get a model with a little tip as I'd want to be able to toss the brushhogs with light weight back into the trees.

Post Thanks / Like

They have an over the counter warranty, so when you break one go to the store replace it for FREE and then send me the $15.00 that you thought you owed. Great rods I bought six or seven of them couple years ago when I bought all new rods and reels.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a couple of Crucial Rods. I have tried them a couple of times; not enough to give a good opinion. But I did a lot of research and heard a lot of good things about them. I look forward to using them this year. They are a major upgrade for me from Field and Stream Rods.

As for jig fishing; if you go with Shimano, you may want to consider paying the extra money and going with a Cumara rod. Of course if you start going that high, you may go a bit higher and get you the G Loomis. I hear they are one of the best.

Post Thanks / Like

I own 3 Crucials and love them....but just as shimano said they seem to run a little heavier than advertised...My M action Crucial is more like a MH IMO....May wanna give the MH a try before you purchase a H rod...But for the price and over the counter warranty you absolutely can not beat them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    Crucial makes a fine rod at a good price point.

In a flipping stick though, I would likely find something other then a Crucial. In that price range, I'd go with a Powell or Dobyn's. The Powel should weight in around 5oz whereas the Crucial will be 6.5 with full cork. I'd get a model with a little tip as I'd want to be able to toss the brushhogs with light weight back into the trees.
    The 7'6" is a split handle grip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie chaser View Post
    It's you again crappie chaser..sounds like you might need to change your name to bass-chaser now. You did good going to the shimano crucial...it's all I've been using for the last three years! I have a heavy for c-rig and a 7' for flipping..and a med / heavy (6-10) for jigs and other big plasitcs! Best jig rod I've ever owned. I haven't been let down yet! I take care of them...use some rod jackets to keep them from getting scratched! I like the feel and the sensitivity when using floro! They wern't cheap...but best buy for the money. All mine were over $150...$190 ish (if I recall correctly), at BPS...what did you give for yours?

Post Thanks / Like

I own 3 crucial's. 1 casting and 2 spinning, and i love them all....very good sensitive, strong rods....gotta love the warranty...and best of all they catch fish by god!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the replys, lots of great feed back!
    To demodan i give 159.99 plus tax at bass pro in russel springs, and you may be right about changin my screen name to bass chaser but i gotta tell ya a sure get excited when them big crappie come in shallow!!!!!!! HA HA HA !

Post Thanks / Like

Post flippin stx

evevry one talkin about 7 and 7.6 ft rods anyone tried the new 8 and 9 footers yet I have not but a couple of those will be the next I try