Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Shad/Alewive Help Fishing Creek, Lake Cumberland

I'll be trying to catch Alewives in Fishing Creek tonight. Does anyone have any guidance for me. I have had success catching plenty of threadfin but no success catching alewives or gizzards. I have a 2 decent 10ft cast nets one taped 1/2 mesh 1 lb/ft and one non taped 5/8 1.5 lb/ft, and under water lights. I was thinking about dropping lights out in the middle of the channel of fishing creek. Any recommendations of depth of the light?

If anyone has any tips on gizzards I am open to that as well!

Anyone else going to be fishing this part of the lake this weekend? Its going to be pleasantly warm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadAddict View Post
    I'll be trying to catch Alewives in Fishing Creek tonight. Does anyone have any guidance for me. I have had success catching plenty of threadfin but no success catching alewives or gizzards. I have a 2 decent 10ft cast nets one taped 1/2 mesh 1 lb/ft and one non taped 5/8 1.5 lb/ft, and under water lights. I was thinking about dropping lights out in the middle of the channel of fishing creek. Any recommendations of depth of the light?

If anyone has any tips on gizzards I am open to that as well!

Anyone else going to be fishing this part of the lake this weekend? Its going to be pleasantly warm!
    I have no clue what the bait is doing right now. I'd check my graph to get an idea on where to set lights. I wouldn't think you'd have much problems with the smaller bait with either of those nets. Personally, I drop my 3/8" mesh in late winter\early spring and use what I get as long as it's 3" or better. Threadfins are easy to keep and use this time of year and that's what's in the backs of the creeks. The 1/2" mesh I'd use in later spring and all through fall. The 5/8" I'd save for large gizzards. LOL It's too large for Alewives and will gill even the best bait. Gilling bait will happen no matter what net you use. The questions are what size am I willing to gill and how much of it is there right now? I never want to gill the size bait that I plan to use. Even 1/2" mesh will gill keeper Alewives.

Taped or not? I'd prefer a non taped net when the bait is above 30 ft or so. But my 3/8" mesh is taped so I use it. The plus with a taped net is it stays open more and longer. The down side is it doesn't drop as fast. It's OK if it doesn't drop as fast if the bait can't see it. But they can see nets when they are more shallow and there is overhead light. The tighter the mesh, the more a non-taped net will close on the drop. A 3/8" mesh net with over a pound per foot could have an open diameter of a beach ball by the time it hits 50 ft. 1/2" mesh won't close as much and a lighter net won't close as much. Taped nets work for deeper bait because they pull more open as they drop instead of close and they can't see the net if you turn off the lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, As far as gizzards, I have not targeted them since they raised the lake back up. The growth that is under water now was just too much to attempt throwing a net versus catching alewives. You can usually see bait roaming around over open water back in the heads if there is no wind. The smaller stuff is usually on top but there can be larger under it. The growth is much less these days but all it takes is one tree to remove a net from the equation. Ha!
    I used to work close to the banks and pockets. You might see them, you might not. I'd blind cast if I didn't see anything and hope for the best. Usually get the big baits doing this. If I were desperate enough to try today, I would try to hunt down the bait over open water.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate your advise. I am going to try to get bait over open water tonight. Hopefully ill find them! Hopefully the bait won't be to deep. Taped nets will wear my shoulder out when pulling from deep!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well ?.......?

Post Thanks / Like
    So how did it go?
    Likes ShadAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    Well ?.......?
    I managed to catch alot of threadfins. NO alewives. I tried deep and shallow water. Under lights and in day light. It was rough. Fished with the threadfins but did not catch anything. The lake level is about 30 ft above normal right now. Seemed like I was on the struggle bus this weekend
    Likes fishincreek liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We usually manage to find good size gizzards up there in fall and spring in Porter creek or up in Oil Center. Lots of trees though. Have also mangled a couple nets in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill have to look up porter creek. I am not familiar with that area. I seem to find trees every weekend....