Search Fishin.com

onemorecast56 Guest

question on compression

I`m looking at a skeeter with a 89 evanrude 200XP. I took a compression test and it only reads 75lbs on all cylinders. That sounds low to me. The motor as a hour meter that reads 780 hours. I don`t think the motor as ever been broke in to...tell me what you all think,,,I know they say as long as they are within 10% of each other,,,but 75 for a 2oo sounds low...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: question on compression

Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast56 View Post
    I`m looking at a skeeter with a 89 evanrude 200XP. I took a compression test and it only reads 75lbs on all cylinders. That sounds low to me. The motor as a hour meter that reads 780 hours. I don`t think the motor as ever been broke in to...tell me what you all think,,,I know they say as long as they are within 10% of each other,,,but 75 for a 2oo sounds low...
    you may already know this, but if you don't it may be some help to you. the motor needs to be warmed up, for a true reading. let it run for about 10 minutes. make sure you have water to it, so it don't get hot. I just rebuilt a 90 hp, and it had 127 psi on all cylinders. I think 75 psi would be low.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it got serious problems.

onemorecast56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    you may already know this, but if you don't it may be some help to you. the motor needs to be warmed up, for a true reading. let it run for about 10 minutes. make sure you have water to it, so it don't get hot. I just rebuilt a 90 hp, and it had 127 psi on all cylinders. I think 75 psi would be low.
    yeah I know I needed to warm it up,,,but hell it should have lest 90-100 cold,,,I think I will pass on this one,,,it`s a cool boat,,skeeter SK2000

Post Thanks / Like

sure your gauge is right? i have 2 gauges,both craftsmen but they read different on the same motor.if i'm not mistaken those motors usually run in the 115lb range in good shape.i have seen a very signifant increase in compression with a de carb if it hasn't been done for awhile or the motor been setting.i picked up almost 20lb in 2 cylenders on my 96,4 was 120 +- a couple lbs,2 were 92 and 97,decarbed and they came up to 115 118.if its cheap enough a ring job isn't bad..
    seen many run good and along time on 80-90 lb.

Post Thanks / Like

having the throttle all the way open can make a difference. That is how all the books say to properly test complression. Warm Engine, WOT, and sufficient number of compression cycles to build it up. Were ya in the mountains, elevation above sea level will make a difference too.
    The fact that this motor has such even compression indicates it is really dialed in, but being so low would scare me too. Like CFW said, a ring job may be all it needs. Those are a bit of hours on it. It'd be good to know how strong it runs. A ring job cheaper than machine shop work and new pistons. Can you get the price down due to low compression and sell the cost of a rebuild going to be $2K

When I sold my 95 Merc she was at exactly 95 psi on all six but it ran very very strong. Since I knew the motor, I wan't concerned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast56 View Post
    yeah I know I needed to warm it up,,,but hell it should have lest 90-100 cold,,,I think I will pass on this one,,,it`s a cool boat,,skeeter SK2000
    if it's a good deal, rebuild it yourself. get you a repair manuel, take your time and you can do it. here are some { starting prices from Iboat}

Evinrude parts
    bearing kit----priced at 129.99 ----------list price 249.00
    rings ----------priced at 20.69 per set ---list price 26.99
    gasket set-----priced at 24.29------------list price 31.99

phone # 1-800-743-1123

if it runs good, new rings would fix the compression. and while you have it apart, replace all the bearings with new ones. and new gaskets. should run like new. 284.42 dollars for parts. and taking your time, doing the work yourself. about 3 days.

onemorecast56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    if it's a good deal, rebuild it yourself. get you a repair manuel, take your time and you can do it. here are some { starting prices from Iboat}

Evinrude parts
    bearing kit----priced at 129.99 ----------list price 249.00
    rings ----------priced at 20.69 per set ---list price 26.99
    gasket set-----priced at 24.29------------list price 31.99

phone # 1-800-743-1123

if it runs good, new rings would fix the compression. and while you have it apart, replace all the bearings with new ones. and new gaskets. should run like new. 284.42 dollars for parts. and taking your time, doing the work yourself. about 3 days.
    Well I don`t think I`ll get this skeeter,,the guy didn`t want me to take it out in the sun,,I know why now,,,It has a bad transom,has a big crack on both sides,and has all thread running from the transom to the of the splash well,,,plus all the interior wood is roitten,,the uphostery looks good but it`s all water logged, needs carpet,no trolling motor,half the insterment don`t work,,bilge don`t work,,need sanding and buffed real real bad. alot of little things that need fixing,,,i think he got screwed myself,,this was he`s first boat,,ever,,,I told him when he was talkig about it that I would go with him and look it over,,,but he`s a hard head,,,took the guys word..he wants what he has in it back,,,and thats 3800.00 hell i wouldn`t give him but mybe 2500.00 I`m going take a pic of it and I`ll show you all...

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a pile of junk...75 is too low. mines a 95 175 and its still got 115 on all

onemorecast56 Guest

well i posted some pic`s of it on the photo place,,,like i said I`d love to have it,,but not for that much,,,

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, but that sounds a little to rough to try to get back right.