Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waders?????

Post Thanks / Like

Waders?????

Talk to me about some waders. Need a new pair thinking about a stocking foot. Looked at simms but they're a little high.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waders?????

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Bum View Post
    Talk to me about some waders. Need a new pair thinking about a stocking foot. Looked at simms but they're a little high.
    Oh Go Ahead and get the Simms ! You know you really want them !

Post Thanks / Like

thats also most more that my fly rod and reel!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

thats also most more that my fly rod and reel!!!!
    Orvis has a cheaper set out that cost around $100.00 that are stocking footed, And breathable. That only lasted me 1 year before they started leaking a little bit. I can still use them. Just have a little dampness on my jeans around the knee seam. Bought my Son a pair of Simms at the same time. And His are fine.
    But I do not think he has near the hours in His as I do Mine.

I know what you mean about the price though!!! Makes me nervous thinking about it ! To spend that much money on a pair of waders. And Might not be happy with them ! Simms are supposed to be the Cadillacs Though !

FUNNY STORY !!! When we were buying ours. There was a pair of Simms on the rack that were priced at around $400.00 !!! I ask the salesman about them!
    He laughed and said " Ya you do not even have to fish when you wear those ! Just show up at the River wearing them ! "

Good Luck with your Wader purchase !

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my last pair of waders from a company that was going out of business, come to think of it, I can't even remember the name and I'm to lazy to go out into the garage and check . Anyways, they were top of the line waders, much like Simms G4s...and they have all the bells and whistles....originally like $499...got them for $200! I love them! I had never purchased nice waders like these before, and I would usually go through waders like every two years. But these are going to last, I can tell. Definitely worth the money to buy some nice waders if you are serious about fly fishing. Think of all the money you will spend on cheap ones....it adds up to just as much as buying a nice pair of Simms. IMO.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some for less than $200. I own the Chota Abrams Creek II Stocking Foot Wader and I have been pleased with them. $179 and worth the money.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/home.php?cat=643

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Hobbs Creek waders i got from BPS. Not the toughest but you could buy three pairs for the same price as some of the others and still have some money left over. Spring Classic coming up and they'll have some nicer ones on sale. My 2-cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I also can't stress the importance of good wading boots. I had always used felt boots, and just thought that slipping and falling into the river was part of fly fishing! Now that I have the felt & stud boots......that's all a thing of the past! Those boots are AWESOME! IMO.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Rich, which boots do you have? I am in the market for a new pair this spring and have thought about the felt and stud combination. I will say they pair of boots I have now are still in good shape except the felt is wearing down. They are ten years old so I cannot complain about performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Rich, which boots do you have? I am in the market for a new pair this spring and have thought about the felt and stud combination. I will say they pair of boots I have now are still in good shape except the felt is wearing down. They are ten years old so I cannot complain about performance.
    Tim-
    I've got the Cabela's Ultrlight Boots with felt & studs. They are the best wading boot I've ever owned! They are soooo light.....and grip tight! And very reasonably priced might I add. Check them out.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Rich, is this them? If so I like the design and the price.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0074778831301a.shtml

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead with the Simms, I suffered through several pairs of Cabelas breathables for a few years. They kept leaking and I would return them and get a different kind, and I always praised their customer service.

That was, until I was on a 7-day fishing trip on the Green River in Dutch John, Utah in March, with temps in the low 30s and leaking waders. At that point, I could give a rat's @ss how good Cabelas cust service was, I had leaking waders for a week trip and was miserable.

Ordered Simms Classic Guide waders at somewhere around $350 the week I got back. That was in 2003 and I'm still wearing them. I sent them back to Simms 2 years ago for reconditioning and was just charged shipping. They're like new now. Talk about customer service!!!

If I get 2-3 more years out of these waders, I'll have had them for a decade. $350 divided over that long sure seems reasonable.

On another note, I AM in the market for some new wading boots. I just went to Otter Creek yesterday and slipped twice on some snot-slick flat bedrock that covered a whole section of the stream. I am wondering if the boots with studs would have prevented that. Felt like I was ice skating.