Search Fishin.com

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Fishing from Salt River ramp today.

Water was muddy, current was moving but not too fast. Not much floating debris. Ramp is clear and easy to use.

Casting lures from the ramp area resulted in multiple hookups. I was shocked with the water so cold that we would have lures being banged around and hooking up like that. We even had 2 hookups that resulted in breakoffs. Just never expected that kind of action in February on Salt River Ramp with water that cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing from Salt River ramp today.

what did you catch LM or stripers or sauger ??

Post Thanks / Like

Where is salt river ramp? Is it the one by the ohio off dixie?

onemorecast56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Water was muddy, current was moving but not too fast. Not much floating debris. Ramp is clear and easy to use.

Casting lures from the ramp area resulted in multiple hookups. I was shocked with the water so cold that we would have lures being banged around and hooking up like that. We even had 2 hookups that resulted in breakoffs. Just never expected that kind of action in February on Salt River Ramp with water that cold.
    Hey Bob whatwas you catching

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Ramp location: Yes, just as you enter West Point, on 31W at the Fort Duffield sign.

Catching: White Bass and Skippies. There was some boat ramp traffic, and am wondering if it was because the bottom by the ramp was being stirred up. Might have been the front coming

No idea what caused breakoffs. Hit was a dull thump, followed by a freight train constant pull. Maybe flatheads..but don't know.

Fished there about 1.5 hours, on way up to Louisville and just had a little time to kill. Was about 3-4 in the after noon.

Water was cold, real cold. Like put your hand in and pins and needles cold. Strange, didn't think whites would put up with that or get active in that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Ramp location: Yes, just as you enter West Point, on 31W at the Fort Duffield sign.

Catching: White Bass and Skippies. There was some boat ramp traffic, and am wondering if it was because the bottom by the ramp was being stirred up. Might have been the front coming

No idea what caused breakoffs. Hit was a dull thump, followed by a freight train constant pull. Maybe flatheads..but don't know.

Fished there about 1.5 hours, on way up to Louisville and just had a little time to kill. Was about 3-4 in the after noon.

Water was cold, real cold. Like put your hand in and pins and needles cold. Strange, didn't think whites would put up with that or get active in that.
    Skippies.. oh my you know how to get a guy excited Bob lol....

HURRICANEBOB Guest

The way my winter went with health, job and a bunch of other stuff, I would have been tickled pink to be catching crayfish.

My rule of thumb is to aim low......and be pleasantly surprized.