Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Advice on introducing my niece to fishing

My 12 year old niece recently asked me to take her fishing when it warms up a bit. I am the only relative she has that pursues fishing/hunting and I really want to show her a good time fishing.

What would you recomend
    1) white bass when they start running
    2) bluegill
    3) other?

Any advice on set ups, etc that make it easier for a kid would be nice.
    I will keep the trip reasonably short, will bring snacks, etc so I think I have the basics of fishing with a youngster down pat. Just wondering how to get her to actually catch a few fish.
    (I have a boat in case your wondering)

Thanks!
    BurleyDog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on introducing my niece to fishing

I think I'd go for bluegill personally. Just find a lake with a lot of them and you should have a good time. You could toss a line out the back of the boat or from shore for catfish while you're at it and it you hook up with one of those, it would be a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - the most important thing is to put her in a situation where she's going to catch fish. If you have a friend or family member with a small pond with lots of bluegill in it, I would start there. Don't worry about the boat - let her have fun and learn the basics of casting and such from the shore line. Take lots of pictures!!

Post Thanks / Like

bluegill for sure, from May-July they will either be on the nest or eating fry, 4lb test line bobber about the size of a dime, the smallest Popeye they make, a 0 or a 1, fish 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 foot deep,when they are really on fish just the Popeye, when it slows tip it with a wax worm, kids want catching, and once there hooked they will learn to fish. JMO

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegill for sure...and/or Crappie. I'd also suggest taking her to a farm pond if you know where one is that you can have access to. It's hard to blank on a farm pond...plus farm pond fishing takes a lot less preparation.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for bluegill, keep it fun with no pressure and make sure she is in the fish. When most kids don't catch anything they are done. At 12 though she will be open for several options so have a plan A,B, and C. I had my daughter on the way to greatness in fishing, she was a natural. Teenage years hit and that was the end of that, now in nursing school and consumed with books, working, running with friends when there is time, fishing is the farthest thing from her mind.

I miss fishing with her. We use to cast Yo-Zuri pin minnows with spinning tackle in the fall, that was her go to and we always caught fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegill. Age doesn't matter. Just taught my 20 y/o step daughter last year. Get a zebco spin cast type rig and use wax worms. The key is to only have one pole in the water per kid if in a boat, theirs. You'll have enough on your hands and they get frustrated easily if they have to wait. I use very (very) small treble hooks. Blue gill can take them in easy and they are easy to get out as they don't have a shank and can be easily turned out no matter where its hooked. Keep a small set of hemos on hand for that job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Another vote for bluegill, keep it fun with no pressure and make sure she is in the fish. When most kids don't catch anything they are done. At 12 though she will be open for several options so have a plan A,B, and C. I had my daughter on the way to greatness in fishing, she was a natural. Teenage years hit and that was the end of that, now in nursing school and consumed with books, working, running with friends when there is time, fishing is the farthest thing from her mind.

I miss fishing with her. We use to cast Yo-Zuri pin minnows with spinning tackle in the fall, that was her go to and we always caught fish.
    M hall don,t give up, My oldest daughter used to fish with me all the time,and then came college,marrige,school teacher,now school princeable,she need,s to teach me to spell,But she has always and still loves to fish,now she has 2 children and I have 2 new fishing buddies. Start the children out with farm pond fishing,but if they are under 7 years old don,t try to keep them out very long. dave

Post Thanks / Like

One tip that's saved me with kids and you've only caught a couple.

Fill a cooler with 6-7" of water, and the next bluegill you catch, throw it in there. That'll keep 'em entertained until the bite picks up.

Post Thanks / Like

Another option, I started my boys fishin small creeks throwin rooster tails they were enjoyed watchin the bluegill hit and feeling the thump of the rooster tail just another idea and have fun

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say go for the bluegill also. Be patient tho. I've taken my 7 year old neice fishing with me, and she really had fun but she ended up wanting to play on the playground after a half hour. Stuff like that is ok, dont rush them into it. Just let her get a taste of it.

I also introduced my girlfriend to it. She was more interested in pink fishing poles and plastic worms rather than than real worms so i took her to a little pond loaded with bass and she was catching them right away. Shes not addicted to it by any means but every once in a while i let her know how much i enjoy fishing with her and she gets excited to go out and do it again. So id say just be patient, put her on the fish, and let her know how much you enjoyed the time with her and she'll be back for more

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 12 yr old daughter who loves to fish. She loves crappie fishing and bluegill fishing and can't get enough. Her favorite between the two though is crappie fishing. Kids do not always have the patience to bass fish very long unless you catch them schooling. The key is having action.
    Get a bucket of minnows and a slipbobber rig and show her how to bait her own hook. The live minnows are entertaining plus they like to catch them. They also help keep the bobber moving which adds to the excitement for them and keeps them focused. Be sure to take a bunch of minnows because they will lose quite a few but they do improve after getting use to it. When you get in the crappie she is gonna have a blast. When it starts getting warm and they start going on the beds is the best time. They can keep a bunch so it lets them show off when you get back and they feel like they are the best thing since sliced bread. Plus she will think your a pro and talk smack to all her friends about your fishing abilities.