Search Fishin.com

Thread: Colors ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Colors ?

I have some questions about color that maybe someone can answer. How come most Steelhead flies are really bright colors? Is it because they get out in the Big water and feed on similar colors? Or is it just a natural attraction thing? But as a rule those colors are not used much in fresh water. Why?

River trout will hit Bright colors in the power eggs. Like Bright Orange, Fluo Pink, And Chartreuse.

And I have caught several on a small Purple BH Bugger. Is it because like brother Rich says " The Planters will hit anything " ???

Would like to hear everybody's opinion !

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Colors ?

Yeah someone tell us about Steelhead, I know nothing but am very much interested in chasing some of the lake run Steelies this year. Where you Derby City and NKFF guys at, I saw those pictures on your website!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    I have some questions about color that maybe someone can answer. How come most Steelhead flies are really bright colors? Is it because they get out in the Big water and feed on similar colors? Or is it just a natural attraction thing? But as a rule those colors are not used much in fresh water. Why?

River trout will hit Bright colors in the power eggs. Like Bright Orange, Fluo Pink, And Chartreuse.

And I have caught several on a small Purple BH Bugger. Is it because like brother Rich says " The Planters will hit anything " ???

Would like to hear everybody's opinion !
    Good question Rock. I've never been steelhead fishing, it's one of those things I want to do before I die. However, I have also noticed the bright colors in steelhead flies. I guess I just related it to the spawning and the eggs? May also help to aggitate them into striking as well as visibility in off colored water? Maybe someone with some steelhead experience can shed some more light on the subject.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

You have to go up to northern Ohio after steelhead. That's where dcff goes every spring. We have a trip going up April 7th