Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-Season Boat Maintenance

What do you all do along the lines of “preventative maintenance” or “un-winterizing” of your bass boat and trailer? With fishing season quickly approaching, I will be taking my boat to my mechanic this weekend and would like some ideas as to what he should fix, look at, replace, etc. I’m sure he’ll have a list of things to go through, but would like to hear what you all do to your boats and trailers as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-Season Boat Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    What do you all do along the lines of “preventative maintenance” or “un-winterizing” of your bass boat and trailer? With fishing season quickly approaching, I will be taking my boat to my mechanic this weekend and would like some ideas as to what he should fix, look at, replace, etc. I’m sure he’ll have a list of things to go through, but would like to hear what you all do to your boats and trailers as well.
    I use mine year round. and do any maintenance, as needed. if yours has sit all winter, you might want to check the wheel bearings on the trailor. and grease them. and check all your lights, and replace any bulbs needed. check and change the oil in the lower unit. check all fuses and wire connections, clean spark plugs, and replace with new ones if you like. put new gas in the tank. fill the auto oiler tank. check your fire ext. go and pay your taxes, and get new sticker. put your fishing tackle in the boat, and your ready for some time on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

heres my routine charge batteries,check power trim lower unit fluid,flush cooling system,check for corrosion on anodes, check all pumps for any leaks,clean spark plugs r replace,check to see if gas is still good & bulb will prime & no leaks,grease all fittings,check steering & all switches,check lanyard stop switch,check straps, lube trailer bearings touch paint any rust areas.

Post Thanks / Like

all the above are good but i will add check your trailer tires make sure the have the correct psi and that the spare is good.

the first trip is the one i most worry about with the trailer

good luck
    ps make sure you put your life jacket in the boat/ and use it!

Post Thanks / Like

all that, and im doing water pump and lower unit seals and fluid as well

Post Thanks / Like

Everything stated above. And when you think you've got it all done, take a screwdriver and start tightening everything. Even the screws holding the seats to the pedestals, hinges on the compartment lids, etc.... You'll be amazed at how many are loose. If you don't, then you'll find them laying on your floor in the spring/ summer and have to figure out where they came from.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you can get your spare tire off the trailer.
    Last year I had a flat and couldn't break loose the lug nuts on the spare tire and ended up twisting off two lug.
    Get them loose at home so it makes the road work go easier.