Search Fishin.com

Thread: G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

G3 Boats

[FONT=Times New Roman]I want to know if anyone out there has had a similar situation with G3/Yamaha Boats being defective? Seems like Yamaha could learn something from Toyota?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]My experience has been very bad with G3/Yamaha Boats. Below is my situation and I have already heard from several more with the same issues? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]If you have had this problem can anyone tell me how do you fix the problem? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I can be contacted at A-Z-B@MSN.COM if anyone wants to speak about this situation?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I have a 17 ft. 2003 G3/Yamaha Boat that was purchased when the boat was only a couple of years old and like brand new. The boat was one of their most expensive models with powder coat finish, carpeting, covered seats, huge gas tank and live well and all of the nice touches that made anyone proud to own the boat. My dad spent his retirement money on this boat for us to use. My dad passed away a little over a year and a half ago. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I strongly encouraged the purchase of this boat due to the Yamaha name and the assurance from the dealer that the hull was warranted for six years. I had a Yamaha outboard motor on another boat and this motor had been great and the Yamaha name gave to me great assurance. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]We paid a lot for this boat at the time of purchase when the boat was still like new. My dad made the comment that the boat would be here for me long after he was gone. My dad was wrong and I was very wrong about G3 Boats and the Yamaha name. Six year hull warrenty transferable to the second owner?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]My dad and I were so proud of this boat. The boat ran great on the water, was comfortable and looked great and had the Yamaha name behind it. Last year about mid year I was shocked to find that this boat was essentially worthless and as stated by the dealer where I bought this boat, “you can throw this boat away!”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]My wife had discovered a thumb sized hole that had come all the way through the boat that had been hid behind the paint. Upon closer inspection I found numerous oozing holes in the transom that had became more numerous and larger since the last time I had noticed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I thought these oozing holes were due to something(s) having been attached in the past. I thought the oozing was some type of sealer. Finally my wife noticed tiny pin holes coming up all along the side of the outside of the boat at the point where the floor attached to the boats inner hull. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I was truly shocked as I thought my boat was worth about $6000 at the time and had just learned that it was worthless and that the water it had been taking on for about three years was not from a bad boat plug but instead holes in the transom and other places where the marine plywood and its' associated chemicals had eaten away the aluminum. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I immediately contacted a G3 boat dealer in the area where I fish and I was shocked to find that he was not surprised and knew exactly what the issue was with the boat. To my surprise he knew exactly what the issue was as he had other boats with the same issue. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]He informed me that Yamaha was aware of the facts and to get him some information and he would forward this information to Yamaha. He did not give me much encouragement and told me that he had used JB Weld to fix boat transoms where this known defect had eaten up the transom of a G3. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I finally called him back and received a phone number and a name to contact and was then told by this contact at G3/Yamaha to send then the serial number of the boat and my purchase date which I did. I was also told by G3/Yamaha representative that G3 had known about this since 2005, which in the case of my boat, was a full four years prior to the expiration of the hull warranty. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yamaha apparently made no attempt to contact dealers or owners of their boats and seems they coluld have chosen instead to see if the boats would make it past the six year hull warranty where they could use a technicality to exempt themselves from offering any assistance to their boat owners. In my case I was maybe half a year out, I say maybe, from warranty by the time I discovered what had been going on with my boat for about three or more years. They appeared to have calculated the warranty form the beginning of the 2003 year and may not have considered the purchase date as I could have still been in warranty![/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]G3/Yamaha boats told me that too bad you are on your own! Can you imagine a name like Yamaha, knowingly ignoring a fatal structural defect, if the statements are true, that these defects could destroy the boat many years prior to its’ normal life expectancy, and leaving customers on their own with a major investment and never bothering to contact anyone in 2005 to inform them of the situation so that repairs could be made years prior to the total destruction of the boat! This is exactly what happened!!!! I had a like new boat that could be thrown away! [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]It appears there may be many others out there just out of warranty with the same dilemma? This is not electrolysis...and instead the marine plywood that was used and the chemicals that were in the plywood. Yamaha/G3 never bothered to contact the owners and mayhave just set by and, it seems to me, hoped that the boat would become worthless just outside of the warranty period![/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]My e-mail is a-z-b@msn.com for anyone that may have questions. I would stay away from this boat and find one that has a better track record. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]Below is the letter that I wrote to the dealer upon his request when I contacted him about my boat:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Per your request, I am sending you the serial number for my G3 Pro 175 Boat that has holes and pits in the transom and along the sides of the boat. The number is ???????????? And it was manufactured in 2003. I have since found out that this boat was given in replacement by G3 for another G3 riveted boat that was leaking badly at the rivets.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I had noticed what looked like holes in the transom about two years ago when I saw leakage around what I assumed were prior drilled holes. I did not pay a great deal of attention to it until this past weekend when my wife actually spotted a finger size hole in the side of the boat that goes all the way through and other pits and a pin hole that appears to be all the way through approximately where the floor meets the side of the boat. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Upon closer inspection, I saw that there were more holes in the transom than I had seen before and they were larger. I was shocked at what I found. I had intentionally looked for and purchased a G3 boat due to my confidence in the Yamaha name and my great experience with the Yamaha motor which both my dad, brother and my self owned. My dad had finally found a G3 boat in like new condition and we purchased it right away. I nearly fell out when I carried the boat to ‘’’’’’’’’’’ and was told upon initial inspection that “you can throw this boat away!”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I go to Florida about 8 to 10 visits per year. I have always washed this boat every time I would come in from the flats and have been very proud of the boat. I am truly shocked at what I have found. Everybody else is running EXCEL boats with a few exceptions and I have bragged on the smoothness of this hull and how it could take the chop of the flats without wetting you. I am keeping my mouth shut at this point.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I also have a 14 foot Monarch Aluminum boat that was manufactured in 1972 that belonged to my dad and was run in Florida by my dad and myself. This boat was run in the flats probably 100 times more that this G3 has ever been on the flats as we purchased this boat approximately 18 years ago and used it exclusively in the flats until the purchase of the G3 boat which we considered a real upgrade. This boat has perfect aluminum and no electrolysis and a great running 1988 Yamaha that replaced the prior 25 HP Evinrude that we wore out on the flats on this same boat prior to this motor purchase. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]I will take pictures and send to you as soon as the weather clears as it was pouring here[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman] From a technical standpoint, the boat may have been a few months out of warrenty and maybe not, but from the standpoint of doing the right thing, especially in light of the fact that I was told by two individuals in the know that they knew in 2005, this is very nuch the wrong thing and maybe even illegal? Maybe someone should ask Toyota?[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G3 Boats

I've been researching your problem on the internet and have found numerous postings from you on several sites. It sounds like you have had the most response from the Bass Boat Central board. I have a 2000 Skeeter SX 17 (made by G3 and is identical to the Eagle 175) and have had no problems. What I don't understand is that the transom of a G3 has no wood in it. It is all aluminum with a large knee brace in the center. If this is an issue with the wood, why is it affecting your transom? I could see where the floor of the boat hits the sides of the hull, but not the transom. I am sorry to hear the problems that you are having. I had a 1999 Skeeter SX 17 (aluminum boat built by G3 identical to the Eagle 175) that did have a defect in the design and was cracking a weld under the drivers console. I contacted G3 and they admitted to the defect and took care of the problem by sending me a new 2000 boat and trailer. I was very pleased with their service. I hope you can get this taken care of. Can you weld the holes shut?

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it the new transoms have no plywood...if the 2003 boat does not have plywood then the dealor and the representative at G3 have no idea what they are talking about?

I have not cut into the transom yet to check it out but will at some point to repair it. I will put the "How to Repair a Defective G3 Transom" video on You Tube. If it is not plywood then we will find out what it is?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: G3 Boats

I purchased a 2010 G3 1860 CCJDLX . And had a gas leak problem that caused some paint peel and Graphics peeling problems. Faulty gas cap I guess ! After sending pics to the dealer that I purchased the boat from. And after a few phone calls. They are replacing my boat. Switching all my stuff over to the new one, Etc.

As of right now. I am very pleased with their decisions on my warranty problem. They seem like they want to make the customer happy !

HURRICANEBOB Guest

060035S G3 BOATS 1860WOFJ LEVEL FLOTATION 2006
    070026T G3 BOATS VARIOUS HULL; CRACKS 2006-08
    RECALLS IN THE USCG, SAFE BOATER RECALL DATA BASE. DATBASE LINK IS, http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/recall_database.aspx

Search by the recall number above. Don't search by year cause that's broke. FYI