Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Terrova or maxium?

I'm going to get a new trolling motor for the boat,and i'm debating between the minn kota Terrova and the Maxium.It will be 24v and at least a 70 lb thrust. i like the cable steer for bass fishing but also do alot of crappie and stripper fishing and the Terrova has some awesome feature's that would come in real handy in those situation's(auto pilot or the remote control). I know the electric steering is kinda of slow and the cable is easier to manuver when you have to get up on the bank to get your lure unlodged from a rock or tree. Anybody have any feedback on either of these pro or con. The terrova w/auto pilot is quite abit higher and I'm not sure if it's worth it or not? Btw it's a 17 1/2 ft fisher aluminum boat with a 90 merc.
    thanks Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terrova or maxium?

I had a Maxum and loved everything about it, besides the bulky foot pedal. I fish with a guy that has the terrova, and it is great in calm water, I love the foot pedal, but like you said it has a much slower reaction to steering. If I were to buy one I would go with a Maxum again.

Post Thanks / Like

what does the Terrova do in rough water? I have a pro 4300 motor guide and in rough water it flop's around like a dying fish if your have it on a higher setting(no tension adjustment on this model). That one of the reason's I'm buying new TM that and the need for more thrust. I like the cable steer but it would be nice not to be confined to the front of boat when crappie or stripper fishing. I figured with the motor driven steering it would stay in the direction it was pointed even if it was rough.
    Dog

Post Thanks / Like

The one I have seen will bounce from side to side a little, and with the slower reaction time it would get off the line pretty quick. Not that my older Maxum would keep a straiter line when it was rough, but the steering was a little more responsive - but I would have to work at it. If you get much above a ten mph wind on Ky lake, none of them are easy to work on the main lake, but it seemed like I had an easier time.

Post Thanks / Like

UI had a mk auto pilot on my 17 fisher deepvee, loved it, now have cord steering not as good. Yes the response is slower, but like I said the motor dosn't ghet you into those troblesome spots. Might opt for a tiller steer electric for the rear, comes in handy at times

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input fella's, I looked at them tonight at BPS while I was there, still have not decided. I wondering if the Terrova is that much better than the V2 for the difference in $$. Also looked at the MG wireless unit ,it didn't look to bad ,had a nice clamp on the mount for when your running down the lake. It was under $800 for 24v and 75lbs thrust compared to the Terrova w/auto pilot was $1345 (ouch).still thinking?
    Kydog

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Terrova mounted on the front of my 18' Bumble Bee.
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/P1011491.jpg

I'd say base your decision on what you fish for most of the time. I fish for Crappie, hybrids and Largemouth, but spend most my time Crappie fishing. I spider rig, long line troll and pull crankbaits. the Terrova is tailer made for these techniques. Recently I installed the i-pilot to the Terrova, it's quite amazing. It has a record a track feature that will let you fish while the boat stays on a track up to 2 miles long. A spot lock feature that works like an anchor. It's all GPS guided, all I have to do is fish.

There is a slight delay in the motor, but when fishing open water, this is no problem. If you spend most your time pounding the shoreline, or manuevering around boat docks, you'd probably be a little better suited for the Maxium. Just my 2 cents.