Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Saturday is a sad day

Well I know alot of you boys hate Louisville basketball but even you must admit this Saturday will be a emotional day. The very last game played by the Cards in The Hall. The new Venue will be awesome but Freedom Hall will always be a special place.

BTW, I feel Louisville will play inspired ball that day and beat The Cuse again. Can you imagine going out of that building by beating the number ONE team in the nation. You can't write a script any better than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Saturday is a sad day

I know you all wonder if I'm even from around here since I don't keep up with U of L/U of K stuff...but for what it's worth Mark I hope you're correct, I hope the Cards win their last game in the hall.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope we beat Marquette tonight. It will be sad that we will no longer be able to play in Freedom Hall. There is a lot of good memories in that place.

Post Thanks / Like

It's memories are just great. So many good games. The first collegiate game I ever saw live in my life was in that building. Think of the great players that have came through that building, Wow.

I still haven't figured out where everybody is gonna park at that new arena???

I agree Ryan I'm not looking past tonight's game as this will be super tough to win, Marquette is clutch. Three road game wins in overtime in the Big East, that's strong, real strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe I'm typing this Mark, but I hope that the Cards get to send out Freedom Hall on a high note by beating the #1 team in the country Saturday.

Yeah, I don't generally make it a habit to root for the Cardinals, but that's just a good script. They are already in the tournament, and beating Cuse could actually help my Cats move up in the polls IF we take care of business at Georgia and against Florida...maybe Kansas drops another one or something and we could move closer to that #1 overall seed.

The sheer potential of a Kentucky/Louisville game in the tournament would be epic if it could ever play out. I want Louisville to do alright so that the in-state rivalry stays hot...well, it will always stay hot, but I guess I mean HOT HOT. As long as they do slightly less well than Kentucky, I'm cool. LOL

SO, yeah....Go Cards!

Post Thanks / Like

Saw my first game in Freedom Hall in 1975. It was the Kentucky Colonels vs. the New York Nets with Dr. J. Saw my first U of L game there in the 79-80 season. Griff and the boys battle from behind to knock off Tulane. I usually make it to 3 to 6 games per year. This year I only made it to three and there is little chance I will get to go to the Syracuse game Saturday.

It is gonna be big. The surviving members of the 80 and 86 championship teams will be there along with Coach Crum.

If you missed the paper Sunday, the C-J had a huge spread covering all of the history of the old building. You can view it online here: http://www.courier-journal.com/secti...plate=fullpage

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I remember going to a Kentucky Colonels game as a youngster too. Tim do you remember how Artis Gilmore would place a quarter on top of the backboard and then jump back up there and retrieve it. That man seemed taller than a tree to me back then. Hubie Brown was the coach then I think, but his Fro would not compare to Artis, that thing had it's own Zip Code, lol. Man the Colonels were awesome.

Think of the names on those Colonel teams.................. Some serious players.

Post Thanks / Like

Glimore, Dampier, Issel man they had some great teams. The ABA was a fun league with a lot of talent. I loved the red, white and blue ball. They were the first to have the three point line and the first to have a dunk contest at their all star game.

I have always heard that when Griffith was a high school player and was playing in the Dirt Bowl at Shawnee park, that he dunked on Artis Gilmore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Glimore, Dampier, Issel man they had some great teams. The ABA was a fun league with a lot of talent. I loved the red, white and blue ball. They were the first to have the three point line and the first to have a dunk contest at their all star game.

I have always heard that when Griffith was a high school player and was playing in the Dirt Bowl at Shawnee park, that he dunked on Artis Gilmore.
    That is suppose to be a true story. Dr Dunkenstein could leap like nobody else in his era. I use to have a newspaper clip of a photo of him taking a jumper against UCLA the man guarding him I can't think of right now was staring right into his Navel, lol. The guy was in another league in 1980, I loved that team.

Tim remember Ponch Wright from that team. Poncho was the first guy to ever do a 360 dunk in a collegiate game. Crum jumped all over him for doing it to even though Louisville was up big and it was in the waning moments of the game. Louie Dampier lives very close to my buddy and only about four miles from me. He still runs all the time and we see him often. Dan Issel was one of the greatest clutch shooters I've ever seen. Can you imagine what he would have done at Kentucky if he would have had the three point shot.....

Post Thanks / Like

I DO NOT hate the CARDS...My second team.

Freedom Hall has been around along time. So has Rupp. But I think both have outgrown themselves. Kentucky, as a state, is getting passed over a lot in these season ending tourneys and NCAA regionals(Yeah I know Rupp gets one here and there). If Freedom Hall and Rupp could comfortably seat 40-50,000 fans it would greatly benefit the enconomy in both cities.

I will be rooting for the Cards, as I alway do unles thier palying the Cats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Tim remember Ponch Wright from that team. Poncho was the first guy to ever do a 360 dunk in a collegiate game. Crum jumped all over him for doing it to even though Louisville was up big and it was in the waning moments of the game. Louie Dampier lives very close to my buddy and only about four miles from me. He still runs all the time and we see him often. Dan Issel was one of the greatest clutch shooters I've ever seen. Can you imagine what he would have done at Kentucky if he would have had the three point shot.....
    Actually Mark, Griff was the first one to do a 360 in a game. The difference is that Poncho was the first person to do one in two different games and on two different networks. Poncho was a character. When they were going to Indy of rht Final Four in 1980, he came up with the "The Ville in Naptown" slogan. He had the rainbow jumper. I have never seen anyone put that much arch on a ball.

A little Griff info. A basketball show did a list of the top 10 dunkers in the history of college basketball. Griff was No. 1, ahead of Jordan, Wilkins etc. It is on the internet some where. I will see if I can find it and post a link later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckshadrap View Post
    I DO NOT hate the CARDS...My second team.

Freedom Hall has been around along time. So has Rupp. But I think both have outgrown themselves. Kentucky, as a state, is getting passed over a lot in these season ending tourneys and NCAA regionals(Yeah I know Rupp gets one here and there). If Freedom Hall and Rupp could comfortably seat 40-50,000 fans it would greatly benefit the enconomy in both cities.

I will be rooting for the Cards, as I alway do unles thier palying the Cats.
    Good thoughts Billy for sure. Money is there to be made you are right. Build it and they will come.