Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Got a LOT to LEARN!!

Really cranked up about getting into fly fishing..especially the Cumberland river below Wolf Creek Dam. And also, possible some of the lesser known streams in Kentucky and Tennessee. Did some research and also got some good advise from the you fellows. Would love to join the Louisville Club, but to far to drive from Jamestown. So, here's where I'm at :

Purchased a 9 foot, 5 wt rod/reel combo...outfitted with weight forward floating line and leader. Now, need to select/purchase some flies for CR trout. Know the basic difference (I think?) between dry and wet flies (wet flies sink???). Beyond that, I'm lost!!! Did a LOT of Internet surfing lately, and find there must be a BIZZILION fly patterns/types to chose from..Problem is, don't know enough to sort out which ones for this area, for time of year, etc...???

Any and all help is much appreciated , specifics, recommendations for good books, web site links.....?

Gary Go Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a LOT to LEARN!!

Gerry McDaniel (Cumberland River Guide and World Record holder) will be giving a seminar on fly fishing the Cuberland River this Saturday (March 6) at 1:00 PM at Bass Pro Shops, Clarksville. It will be in the theater on the second floor. It is free. If you can make the drive it would be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
    Gerry McDaniel (Cumberland River Guide and World Record holder) will be giving a seminar on fly fishing the Cuberland River this Saturday (March 6) at 1:00 PM at Bass Pro Shops, Clarksville. It will be in the theater on the second floor. It is free. If you can make the drive it would be worth it.
    Appreciate the heads up ....will plan on being there.

Post Thanks / Like

Boone-
    I could write pages and pages of what you should do next, lol! But I think your best bet is to get together with some of us and do some fly fishing! But for now, here are some basics IMO:

Dry Flies: Fish these maybe 5% of the time. I only brake out the dries when I see a hatch and fish actively rising or if I'm fishing terrestrials in the summer months (grasshopers, cicadas, etc), even then...I am fishing a dropper off of the terrestrial. Key is to match the hatch!

Nymphs: Fish these 85% of the time. Nymphs immitate the insect larvae that fish feed on all day, every day. Thus, it should be your go-to fly and set-up. Keep it simple....there are a handful of basic nymphs that work EVERYWHERE!....pheasent tails, hares ears, zebra midges, princes, brassies, and copper johns (and their bead head versions). You will catch trout anywhere in the USA with those nymphs IMO. And always fish two nymphs at a time! And use a strike indicator!

Streamers/buggers: Fish these 10% of the time, unless you are lake fishing...then it should be 85% of the time. Wooly buggers in brown, black, white, and burgundy will work anywhere (bead heads are even better). Again, use two flies (use a large bh hares ear for your second fly, MONEY!). Clouser minnows, half/halfs, zonkers, and bunnies are all effective streamer patterns...great for rivers and big browns. Fish streamers by themselves, no second fly. Expect less fish with streamers in rivers, but bigger fish.

Everyone had their own system when it comes to fly fishing. This is just some of what I have found from fishing across the nation my entire life. The real trick is to find good trout waters out here. We will have to see how the CR pulls through all this. We need to all get together and RIP SOME LIPS!!!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Got a LOT to LEARN!!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Boone-
    I could write pages and pages of what you should do next, lol! But I think your best bet is to get together with some of us and do some fly fishing! But for now, here are some basics IMO:

Dry Flies: Fish these maybe 5% of the time. I only brake out the dries when I see a hatch and fish actively rising or if I'm fishing terrestrials in the summer months (grasshopers, cicadas, etc), even then...I am fishing a dropper off of the terrestrial. Key is to match the hatch!

Nymphs: Fish these 85% of the time. Nymphs immitate the insect larvae that fish feed on all day, every day. Thus, it should be your go-to fly and set-up. Keep it simple....there are a handful of basic nymphs that work EVERYWHERE!....pheasent tails, hares ears, zebra midges, princes, brassies, and copper johns (and their bead head versions). You will catch trout anywhere in the USA with those nymphs IMO. And always fish two nymphs at a time! And use a strike indicator!

Streamers/buggers: Fish these 10% of the time, unless you are lake fishing...then it should be 85% of the time. Wooly buggers in brown, black, white, and burgundy will work anywhere (bead heads are even better). Again, use two flies (use a large bh hares ear for your second fly, MONEY!). Clouser minnows, half/halfs, zonkers, and bunnies are all effective streamer patterns...great for rivers and big browns. Fish streamers by themselves, no second fly. Expect less fish with streamers in rivers, but bigger fish.

Everyone had their own system when it comes to fly fishing. This is just some of what I have found from fishing across the nation my entire life. The real trick is to find good trout waters out here. We will have to see how the CR pulls through all this. We need to all get together and RIP SOME LIPS!!!

-Rich
    Some very good advise from Rich ! And even though I agree that fishing 2 flies will produce much better. It is more difficult for the beginning caster to pull off. Without having horrendous knots in your leader constantly.

Practice casting every chance you get ! In the yard or field somewhere without a fly. Tie a small piece of Hi-Viz yarn on the end of your leader. And Cast , Cast , Cast ! Concentrating on the proper form. Hand arm, Wrist position, Etc. Like a Golf swing. If you begin with bad habits and use them till you get comfortable with them. It will be very hard to change.

I have a casting DVD by Joan Wulff that is excellent. I will try to locate it. And let you use it if you like.

I would say to start out with a small midge pattern. Size # 16 - # 20 underneath a pinch on indicator. ( The larger the indicator, The more wind resistance you will encounter. And make it harder to cast !!! ) And get out and catch some fish (Hatchery creek maybe ) and get used to the FR. As Brother Rich said in an earlier post. Then when the water gets down in the river. Get out and wade, cast and enjoy !!! But do not expect to catch ANY fish ! Then when you do , It will be a bonus !!!

You are about to enter another realm of the fishin world ! This , Like Golf can be a lifelong endeavor ! Do you like the " Journey " ??? Or the "Destination " ???

Search you tube on casting a fly rod ! Google it , Etc ! You will find plenty of info !!!

And I will be glad to help you out any time I can ! But after you have the basic info ! Then the " Journey " Begins ! Sound advise and a little instruction along the way is always a good thing !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Some very good advise from Rich ! And even though I agree that fishing 2 flies will produce much better. It is more difficult for the beginning caster to pull off. Without having horrendous knots in your leader constantly.

Practice casting every chance you get ! In the yard or field somewhere without a fly. Tie a small piece of Hi-Viz yarn on the end of your leader. And Cast , Cast , Cast ! Concentrating on the proper form. Hand arm, Wrist position, Etc. Like a Golf swing. If you begin with bad habits and use them till you get comfortable with them. It will be very hard to change.

I have a casting DVD by Joan Wulff that is excellent. I will try to locate it. And let you use it if you like.

I would say to start out with a small midge pattern. Size # 16 - # 20 underneath a pinch on indicator. ( The larger the indicator, The more wind resistance you will encounter. And make it harder to cast !!! ) And get out and catch some fish (Hatchery creek maybe ) and get used to the FR. As Brother Rich said in an earlier post. Then when the water gets down in the river. Get out and wade, cast and enjoy !!! But do not expect to catch ANY fish ! Then when you do , It will be a bonus !!!

You are about to enter another realm of the fishin world ! This , Like Golf can be a lifelong endeavor ! Do you like the " Journey " ??? Or the "Destination " ???

Search you tube on casting a fly rod ! Google it , Etc ! You will find plenty of info !!!

And I will be glad to help you out any time I can ! But after you have the basic info ! Then the " Journey " Begins ! Sound advise and a little instruction along the way is always a good thing !
    Very well put Rock. FFin isn't just a method of fishing, it's a way of life! Once you baptise yourself in a trout stream (which can be avoided with studs, lol!) then you become an official FFer! It's taking many baptizings to wash away my prior spinning sins. lol! Or......was it those felt boots I had for years?

KEEP IT SIMPLE!!! I can't stress that enough! It is easy to get "system overload" when it comes to flyfishing. So much information and techniques and flies and gear and....blah...blah....blah! All that will come over time, but don't worry about it for now. Focus on basic casting techniques and basic fly patterns. I have to stress the importance of using two flies again....it is not difficult and if you tie your second fly directly to the bend of your first fly with about 8" of tippet.....rarely have tangle issues...at least I don't. This will increase your catch ratio and chances...IMO. Simple set-up for success:

1st fly: #14 BH nymph or a San Juan (attractor)
    2nd fly: #18 BH nymph (your money fly) 8" down from the 1st fly
    .....then place split 6" up from first fly, as many split as the water dictates, enough to get your flies on the bottom, but not snagging everytime.......Strike indicator (I love thingamabobbers or the twistons) about 5' up from first fly...this will vary related the depth of the water you are fishing...longer for deeper water (with heavier split) and shorter for shallower water (less split). Also have to consider water speed to adjust your splits. Sounds complicated, but it's not. You'll know when you are doing it what it takes to get the flies on the bottom.

My daughter was catching trout on this set-up at age 4! lol! It's works everywhere! And again, we all need to get together and RIP SOME LIPS!!!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for all the GREAT INFORMATION. I believe you have given me the basis for a starting point. And keep it simple (KISS), got the message and appreciate all the advice.

First steps for me is to practice casting and get the basic techniques down, as well as stock up on some of the basic flies you guys suggested. Looks like there are some pretty good internet deals on flies.

Also, been surfing the Internet quite a bit and found what looks like a great educational site for me; Trout University at: http://www.troutu.com/

Hopefully, I'll be ready to hit a stream before long. Looking forward to that get together this spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Got a LOT to LEARN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Thanks guys for all the GREAT INFORMATION. I believe you have given me the basis for a starting point. And keep it simple (KISS), got the message and appreciate all the advice.

First steps for me is to practice casting and get the basic techniques down, as well as stock up on some of the basic flies you guys suggested. Looks like there are some pretty good internet deals on flies.

Also, been surfing the Internet quite a bit and found what looks like a great educational site for me; Trout University at: http://www.troutu.com/

Hopefully, I'll be ready to hit a stream before long. Looking forward to that get together this spring.

Once you get the timing down, And can feel the rod tip load. It is not really that hard. It suits some people , Others it does not !

To me there is nothing like wading at sunrise or sunset and shooting line to a rising fish in a beautiful river !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Very well put Rock. FFin isn't just a method of fishing, it's a way of life! Once you baptise yourself in a trout stream (which can be avoided with studs, lol!) then you become an official FFer! It's taking many baptizings to wash away my prior spinning sins. lol! Or......was it those felt boots I had for years?

KEEP IT SIMPLE!!! I can't stress that enough! It is easy to get "system overload" when it comes to flyfishing. So much information and techniques and flies and gear and....blah...blah....blah! All that will come over time, but don't worry about it for now. Focus on basic casting techniques and basic fly patterns. I have to stress the importance of using two flies again....it is not difficult and if you tie your second fly directly to the bend of your first fly with about 8" of tippet.....rarely have tangle issues...at least I don't. This will increase your catch ratio and chances...IMO. Simple set-up for success:

1st fly: #14 BH nymph or a San Juan (attractor)
    2nd fly: #18 BH nymph (your money fly) 8" down from the 1st fly
    .....then place split 6" up from first fly, as many split as the water dictates, enough to get your flies on the bottom, but not snagging everytime.......Strike indicator (I love thingamabobbers or the twistons) about 5' up from first fly...this will vary related the depth of the water you are fishing...longer for deeper water (with heavier split) and shorter for shallower water (less split). Also have to consider water speed to adjust your splits. Sounds complicated, but it's not. You'll know when you are doing it what it takes to get the flies on the bottom.

My daughter was catching trout on this set-up at age 4! lol! It's works everywhere! And again, we all need to get together and RIP SOME LIPS!!!

-Rich
    Eight inch dropper huh ? Guess mine have been a bit long. I know this in my case! Distance casting with a Double Haul. And very tight loops with too long of a dropper will cause TRAIN WRECKS ! I cannot help it ! I love to see an additional 15-20' of line shoot out like a rocket !

Post Thanks / Like

Man, seriously, I need to hook up with some of you guys. Here lately, I'm getting back to thinking just being there is much better than catching 'em. Something about a f'rod is so much more relaxing than a spinner. Dont get me wrong, I love fillets, but something about the anticipation and the rod doubling over.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Got a LOT to LEARN!!

Quote Originally Posted by leakinwader View Post
    Man, seriously, I need to hook up with some of you guys. Here lately, I'm getting back to thinking just being there is much better than catching 'em. Something about a f'rod is so much more relaxing than a spinner. Dont get me wrong, I love fillets, but something about the anticipation and the rod doubling over.
    Yes I agree ! There is something about it that you cannot explain !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Eight inch dropper huh ? Guess mine have been a bit long. I know this in my case! Distance casting with a Double Haul. And very tight loops with too long of a dropper will cause TRAIN WRECKS ! I cannot help it ! I love to see an additional 15-20' of line shoot out like a rocket !
    Rock-
    How long do you drop to your second fly on a nymph rig? I could see where a long drop to your second fly could cause some tangles. We've always fished with about 8-10" (don't measure..just pull tippet out and "guesstimate" lol) drop from our first nymph. I've never had problems with tangles. I will shoot some line occasionally with a nymph rig if the situation calls for it...but most the time I am roll casting and dead sticking. You can get perfect "drag-free" drifts rolling and deading. IMO

-Rich