Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a LOT to LEARN!!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Rock-
    How long do you drop to your second fly on a nymph rig? I could see where a long drop to your second fly could cause some tangles. We've always fished with about 8-10" (don't measure..just pull tippet out and "guesstimate" lol) drop from our first nymph. I've never had problems with tangles. I will shoot some line occasionally with a nymph rig if the situation calls for it...but most the time I am roll casting and dead sticking. You can get perfect "drag-free" drifts rolling and deading. IMO

-Rich
    Ya, out to a certain point I can do OK. But then I get bored and start to think the fish are further out ! So I can launch the double haul ! I have always used 12" - 18" dropper ! Or longer if I have a floating fly on top as an indicator ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Ya, out to a certain point I can do OK. But then I get bored and start to think the fish are further out ! So I can launch the double haul ! I have always used 12" - 18" dropper ! Or longer if I have a floating fly on top as an indicator ???
    OK.....if we are talking about dropping under a dry fly...definitely longer 18"+. I was referring to dropping below a second nymph on a tandem nymph rig....with that, I drop 8-10". But ya know, 8-10" or 12-18"....I don't think the fish have tape measures anyways.....LOL! The only difference would probably be less chance of tangle with the lower inches. IMHO. Other than that, two peas in a pod! On second thought....perhaps the female trout would prefer the 12-18"..........LMAO!!!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, ha ha ha! Ah, ha ha ha! Hilarious!

Are you using a heavier fly at the end or tying to it? This could be an issue as well, depending on casting style and room of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably just casting errors on my part ! And trying to get too much distance with a Hopper / Dropper rig !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Probably just casting errors on my part ! And trying to get too much distance with a Hopper / Dropper rig !
    That happens with the Hopper/Dropper rig......just cause of the length of the dropper. I get occasional tangles with that rig as well, just part of it I always thought. Love the hopper/dropper setup out west in summer....I can remember one particular stream (a secret spot of mine ) in the Wasatch Mountain range, UT that runs alongside a canyon road. It is so small that you can literally straddle the banks from one side to the other, lol......but it is FULL of big browns, bows and cutts that will KILL a Hopper/Dropper rig! The funnest part is, they will hit the Hopper 90% of the time! Nothing funner than a wild trout obliterating a hopper! Can't wait to get back home this summer and hit it for old times sake.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Can you guys point me to a "Fly For Dummies" book. I'm trying to get it, but dang, too many "fly guy" terms............lmao.
    You guys have great patience to even try to explain it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leakinwader View Post
    Can you guys point me to a "Fly For Dummies" book. I'm trying to get it, but dang, too many "fly guy" terms............lmao.
    You guys have great patience to even try to explain it all.
    We've all been there You'll get it! Never hesitate to ask questions or clarifications.....if we don't know....we'll make it up! LOL!

-Rich