Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Painting a Trailer

I need to repaint my trailer. What's the best type of paint to use for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Painting a Trailer

There maybe better paint but I used Rustolium from home depot and holding up well. Can't remember if I used their primer first or not. I do keep trailer in a garage.

For heavier duty.. Ronan makes some really tough water based paint. I use it on billboard structures (so does CBS and Lamar) and painted my flat bed trailer and it's tough and easy to use . You can brush it or put in a sprayer. They have a primer too but unless the rust is really bad and deep you don't need it. If you use white you will have to use the primer with stain block in it. I will use Ronan next time for sure. They can ups it to you.

http://www.ronanpaints.com/
    Last edited by peter; 03-03-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Herculiner on my wheel wells and is has done a remarkable job. I am contemplating painting the whole trailer with it. Just grind off all of the rust, treat it with a rust converter, which you can buy at Wal-Mart in the automotive paint department and roll the hurculiner on with a 3 or 4 inch roller. It was pretty easy and the ther results have been great! The only downside is that it fades. They have a product that is supposed to stop the fading, but I haven't used it. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I've painted two - I used the Rustoleum that's made for rusty surfaces and it held up good -you can get it at Wal-Mart.

The main thing is to knock off all the rust you can. I used a wire wheel brush on an angle grinder for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older farm trailer, tadem axle. I used a gal. of the "brush on" Rustoleum in black. Painted it over the grass so drips would not get on the drive. Laid it on as thick as I could get it. The directions said to get as heavy a coat as possible. That was 8 years ago. It stopped the rust cold. Not the best looking farm trailer around so if you need a custom matched paint job to go with your truck may look for something else. But this is the cheap fix that works.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully the rain will hold off a day this weekend and I can get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 12/24v Johnson that is in good condition and will let you have it for $100.00.
    Bob
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]