Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quit smoking and get a new boat!

How much boat could you buy if you saved the money on cigarettes by quitting smoking? How much money monthly could go to a new boat payment?

I did some number crunching on a spreadsheet, given the cost of cigarettes per carton, and how much the wife and I smoke per day. Here's some of the things that shook out:

1. Using a new boat loan for 180 months (15 years) at 6.99% and zero down.
    2. Given wife smokes 1 pack and I smoke 1.5 packs now, 2.5 packs total per day, and right now a carton of cigarettes at our Kroger's is $38-39 each.
    3. We save $3468 per year if we both quit, divided by 12 months means we can afford a monthly payment of $289 per month paid for by the savings from NOT buying cigarettes.
    4. $289 per month buys you a new boat costing $32,000 with the loan terms above (payment would be $286/month). $30,000 boat = $268, or a $35,000 rig = $313 per month.
    5. If/when Cigarette prices go up to $45 per carton, given 2.5 packs a day, by quitting you save $4106/year, or $342 a month, which as shown above bumps you up to a $35,000 rig, and gets you close to a $40,000 rig that has a $357/month payment. (an remember you might beable to pay teh difference with what you get when you sell your old rig)
    6. When you quit smoking, and stay smoke free for a while, you may also save money (depending on your policy and company) on life insurance premiums and health insurance premiums. Ask your insurance companies for some quotes, and see what they say. You may find that the savings on insuruance when smoke free will easily cover the boat registration fees and a part of the boat insurance per year.

OFFER(FREE): EMAIL me at bobhamme@comcast.net. I'll attached the spreadsheet I used. All you have to do is enter the number of packs per day for each smoker, and the price of a carton of cigarettes, and the spreadsheet calculates the savings per year and month, then compares it to boat loans at selected values, and feeds back a red or green indicator on the amount of monthly boat loan paid for by being smoke free.

Doing this just to help anybody who wants motivation to quit. I'm working on going smoke free, and when I do get my new boat, I'll let you know how quitting can help you to buy my old boat! Good news here, is you really would only have to cut back to buy it from me!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quit smoking and get a new boat!

Bob, not to shoot down your spreadsheet or number-crunching, but my wife and I quit this past October so that we can both live longer. It's great to save money (especially with the state that our country is currently in), but we quit so we can live longer and enjoy a better quality of life. We're both 28 years old and we vowed to quit after we came back from our honeymoon -- we never skipped a beat. Quitting was a pain for the first month, but after that is a breeze.

Also, you don't realize just how much you stunk until after you quit smoking. Granted, we never smoked inside our house, we always went outside (even at others' homes). However, I can always tell if someone around us has been smoking because they smell like a chimney. The smell actually makes me kind of sick when I smell it now.

One more thing to keep in mind -- bass hate tobacco. It is proven in studies by Dr. Keith A. Jones, PhD (the mastermind behind Berkley Powerbait, Gulp, and GulpAlive baits). He works at the Spirit Lake facility of Pure Fishing (Berkley, Abu Garcia, Spiderwire, Stren, etc.) and does extensive research into what bass like -- and tobacco in any form digusts bass.

Quit to save some change, but also quit so you can enjoy more years in your boat doing what you love to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been quit 5 years April 21!! The worst time for me is when I'm FISHING !!!!!
    It may not be wise to buy a boat for awhile!!!
    Rowdy

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shimano4Life View Post
    Bob, not to shoot down your spreadsheet or number-crunching, but my wife and I quit this past October so that we can both live longer. It's great to save money (especially with the state that our country is currently in), but we quit so we can live longer and enjoy a better quality of life. We're both 28 years old and we vowed to quit after we came back from our honeymoon -- we never skipped a beat. Quitting was a pain for the first month, but after that is a breeze.

Also, you don't realize just how much you stunk until after you quit smoking. Granted, we never smoked inside our house, we always went outside (even at others' homes). However, I can always tell if someone around us has been smoking because they smell like a chimney. The smell actually makes me kind of sick when I smell it now.

One more thing to keep in mind -- bass hate tobacco. It is proven in studies by Dr. Keith A. Jones, PhD (the mastermind behind Berkley Powerbait, Gulp, and GulpAlive baits). He works at the Spirit Lake facility of Pure Fishing (Berkley, Abu Garcia, Spiderwire, Stren, etc.) and does extensive research into what bass like -- and tobacco in any form digusts bass.

Quit to save some change, but also quit so you can enjoy more years in your boat doing what you love to do!
    No offense taken, and excellent points that add to all the good reasons to stop. What method did you use to quit? Cold turkey, patch, pill ,gum?

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    Ive been quit 5 years April 21!! The worst time for me is when I'm FISHING !!!!!
    It may not be wise to buy a boat for awhile!!!
    Rowdy
    Good point. Along that lines, with withdraw anxiety levels, I might get the new boat just in time for the wife to take it in the divorce proceedings

Post Thanks / Like

I have never smoked. Reason why is that my parents did and I hated it. The kids at school would sometimes say "you smell like smoke". So , needless to say I could not stand the thought of cigarettes. Hurricane, I suggest you stop and wait two months before buying a boat. If by then you feel like the habit is kicked then by all means get a boat. Dont let anyone tell you not to get a boat. Everytime you look at that boat its gonna remind you that its there because you quit smoking. That should be motivation enough to not pick one up again. Good luck and stay the course brother

Post Thanks / Like

Chantix worked for me August of 2008 is when it stopped. I used to love smoking while I fished tournaments. It seemed to calm my nerves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    No offense taken, and excellent points that add to all the good reasons to stop. What method did you use to quit? Cold turkey, patch, pill ,gum?
    We both quit cold turkey. Like I said, it was complete hell for a few weeks. Not exactly the way a new marriage should start, but we're both good now. I gained about 15lbs because I started eating more, but I combat that with going to the gym about 3 times a week and run a mile and a half every other day.

My wife's father quit with some medication and had great luck with it, although he did claim to have weird dreams while he was taking the meds.

Bob, good luck to you and your wife. You can do it!

Post Thanks / Like

we quit on june 5 09 i have saved 3890.25 i was buying 3 pack a day if we bought cartons it would last 2 days but im glas i quit i still want one everyonce on a while but cant stand the smell of them and i really never thought i smelled that nasty but when u qiut and u get around someone that does they smeel really bad

Post Thanks / Like

I know, tell me how stupid this is. I quit cigarettes for 2 weeks last year. Bought a pack of Winchester lil cigars before quitting. After two weeks thought, "aint goin to hurt anything", now smoking almost a pack a day of King Edward lil cigars. From 2 packs of cigarettes a day to little less than a pack of KE. Now I have it in my head, I dont have a habit, I just like em.

onemorecast56 Guest

well we need to stop smoking as i`m gettin another heart cath,,this might be by-pass number 3,,,i`m having a hard time stopping,,,

HURRICANEBOB Guest

You get well, and I'll work with you on it while you work with me one it.

WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER MY FRIEND. If getting a new boat, looking after my health so I'm around to take care of momma, and just feeling better is not enough motivation for me to quit, then helping a friend might just be the one more part I need to help us both succeed.

All BS aside, I won't leave my wingman! HOOOOOAH!

Now go get the thing done, and lets get down the road!