Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am blessed x 2

I have to toot my own (?) horn a little.
    My 8 yr old daughter, as a reward the other day, got to play with my fly rod. After a 1/2 hr or so, she was making the old man look bad. My excuse is, I haven't messed with the fly, longer than she has been alive. The kid was making the prettiest and very accurate casts, that I have done in years. I think I teach better than do, lol.
    Her 4 yr old sister showed promise also. Both these gals using my 9' 7/8 rod.
    This is going to be an awesome Spring/Summer.
    Should I get them full sized rods, or something shorter in the same weights? I'm kinda thinking, if they can use this rod setup, let'em roll with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: I am blessed x 2

Quote Originally Posted by leakinwader View Post
    I have to toot my own (?) horn a little.
    My 8 yr old daughter, as a reward the other day, got to play with my fly rod. After a 1/2 hr or so, she was making the old man look bad. My excuse is, I haven't messed with the fly, longer than she has been alive. The kid was making the prettiest and very accurate casts, that I have done in years. I think I teach better than do, lol.
    Her 4 yr old sister showed promise also. Both these gals using my 9' 7/8 rod.
    This is going to be an awesome Spring/Summer.
    Should I get them full sized rods, or something shorter in the same weights? I'm kinda thinking, if they can use this rod setup, let'em roll with it.
    Man That is absolutely awesome ! Fishin is one of the best family sports !
    And IMHO , Even though the girls can cast that big FR. It will probably tire them pretty fast. I would think something more along the lines of a 4 Wt !

Keep em fishin ! Might just keep them out of trouble !

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am blessed x 2

Amen to what Rock said....a rod that size wears me out after awhile! Definitely look into a 7' 4wt rod. Congrats on the two little proteges! My 6yr old daughter has been fly fishing since she was 4, and she keeps getting better every year! Makes for some quality Daddy/Daughter time on the river....love it! I just hope that she can keep it up through those "teenage" years.....aahhh...the thought of the "teenage" years is already giving me a headache! lol! Good luck!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Amen to what Rock said....a rod that size wears me out after awhile! Definitely look into a 7' 4wt rod. Congrats on the two little proteges! My 6yr old daughter has been fly fishing since she was 4, and she keeps getting better every year! Makes for some quality Daddy/Daughter time on the river....love it! I just hope that she can keep it up through those "teenage" years.....aahhh...the thought of the "teenage" years is already giving me a headache! lol! Good luck!

-Rich
    Oh Brother ! You have just Begun your journey !!! Enjoy the next 7-8 years
    as much as yo can ! We have 3 kids. 21 G , 19 B , 17 G ! They are all different. And I wish they had come with detailed INSTRUCTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll start shopping for their rods tonight. Thats whats great about folks that know. If its a little easier on them, I'm hoping they'll stick with it. I'll worry about the teenage years later, lol.
    Well off to work for an hour or so, and then I'm gettin a line wet.
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Fish View Post
    Oh Brother ! You have just Begun your journey !!! Enjoy the next 7-8 years
    as much as yo can ! We have 3 kids. 21 G , 19 B , 17 G ! They are all different. And I wish they had come with detailed INSTRUCTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Man, I feel for ya Rocky! LOL! At least I just have one to worry about!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leakinwader View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll start shopping for their rods tonight. Thats whats great about folks that know. If its a little easier on them, I'm hoping they'll stick with it. I'll worry about the teenage years later, lol.
    Well off to work for an hour or so, and then I'm gettin a line wet.
    Thanks again.
    That's the ticket! Make it as easy and as fun as possible.....also, don't spend a lot of $ on their fly rods. Get rods that they can beat up and practice on.....not the kind you have to keep behind glass and get insurance on, lol!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I feel for ya Rocky! LOL! At least I just have one to worry about!

-Rich
    No Man , Be happy for me ! I would not trade any one of them for the world !
    And I would not give a nickel for another one either ! LOL

I have always said that I give them all the discipline that they need ! And all the love I can !

I just know a little of what might possibly be in store for you!

Post Thanks / Like

No Man , Be happy for me ! I would not trade any one of them for the world !
    And I would not give a nickel for another one either ! LOL

I have always said that I give them all the discipline that they need ! And all the love I can !

I just know a little of what might possibly be in store for you!
    J/K! Kids are the best, aren't they! My little girl lights up my life.......and the trout occasionally, LOL! She is by far the best thing I've ever done with my life. Just wish I could keep her at 7 yrs old forever.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

J/K! Kids are the best, aren't they! My little girl lights up my life.......and the trout occasionally, LOL! She is by far the best thing I've ever done with my life. Just wish I could keep her at 7 yrs old forever.

-Rich
    Yep, Makes you to almost want to freeze their age somehow ! But that would be selfish on our part !

Enjoy her while you can ! You will get busy with life, And she will be grown up before you know it !

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy her while you can ! You will get busy with life, And she will be grown up before you know it !
    Now why you got to go and say that! Totally uncalled for!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Now why you got to go and say that! Totally uncalled for!

-Rich
    Sorry Rich ! I am sure your parents and or Grandparents could shed a little light on this also !

Did you hear about the Man that was around 28 yrs old? He said " My father has got awful smart in the last 10 years "

That ole circle of life my friend !