Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dual Pro two bank charger

This is what I have in my boat, never had a problem and always worked well. Upon recently replacing the two trolling batteries I have lost the led readout light indicators for one side. I'm positive I hooked it up exactly the way it was as I taped and marked everything prior to unhooking it then replaced it just like it was.

Now upon inspection here it something I noticed that has me scratching my head. There is only one lead wire that goes to the battery farthest away from the charger on the positive and negative pins. Then a jumper wire coming from the Negative post of that battery to the positive post of the other battery. Is this right??? How has it worked up till now??

Help an electrical dummy out somebody???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dual Pro two bank charger

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    This is what I have in my boat, never had a problem and always worked well. Upon recently replacing the two trolling batteries I have lost the led readout light indicators for one side. I'm positive I hooked it up exactly the way it was as I taped and marked everything prior to unhooking it then replaced it just like it was.

Now upon inspection here it something I noticed that has me scratching my head. There is only one lead wire that goes to the battery farthest away from the charger on the positive and negative pins. Then a jumper wire coming from the Negative post of that battery to the positive post of the other battery. Is this right??? How has it worked up till now??

Help an electrical dummy out somebody???
    Mark,

It sounds like your trolling motor is a 24 volt model and the batts are connected in series to power it. Are there just 2 wires that go up to your TM, one connected to the pos on one batt and one to the neg on the other? If so, that would explain the jumper between the batts.

A dualpro charger should have a positive and a negative pair of leads going to each battery you're going to charge. It's conceivable I guess it was hooked up with one set of leads to the starting batt and the other to the TM batts together, but that's stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim, I'm gonna go home and study this thing again. What's blowing my feeble mind is how the heck has it worked until now and why won't it work now. I only see one lead coming from the charger that is what I can't understand, is how it was charging both batteries?? Electrical is not my strong suit, as you can probably tell. lol. Stay tuned I'll either figure it out or screw it up, hopefully I don't damage my two new Deka's.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I have a two bank Dual Pro also. Are you getting one GREEN light and one RED light on your charger?

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    Are you saying only one wire from the charger? So there is no return wire back to the charger? If so it's defective...unless I don't understand what your saying?

Post Thanks / Like

Well as expected I'm stupid, lol. I got to studying this deal and to make a long story short it was all me. I had a wire crossed up, I found it yesterday evening put it back right and now It's good to go. Thanks for the thought guys, sometimes when I work on stuff dead dog tired I would be much better to wait until I'm not, lol.