Search Fishin.com

Thread: Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Kayak

Looking for a place to try some out before buying????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kayak

CanoeKY on Elkhorn has a selection and does a try-before-you-buy float. They will even rent you one to try out and if you buy it deduct the rent from the purchase price. I have my eyes on a Native kayak and plan to visit CanoeKY this spring myself...

Post Thanks / Like

canoe ky will even give you free life time shuttle on the elkhorn if u buy. Great small mouths and some decent rapids on elk horn. I have five kayaks of different styles your welcome to stop buy and try. Nolin river is my back yard

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Kayak

Still looking but went to Quest Outdoors and got to sit in a wilderness commander this the bomb!!!! I think that this very much like the native but closer to home. Little cheaper for the moment I have a 10% off unitl the end of the month. Chad keeling has been helping me and I have been trying to get him to start carrying more Fishing stuff for kayaks. But right his boss doesnt see the need for the stuff here. So if live you in the metro area and want this let them Know! He can also make arrangements to let you try out a demo they carry hobie, wilderness, dragger and some others.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if he demos or not but DD Outfitters in Cincy is a good shop. We drove from Lexington and picked up our kayaks from him. He's got a bunch of 08/09 Ocean kayaks on sale, you can check out his price list on the website. he also carries Wilderness Systems and a couple other brands.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the 9.5 ft Blast and 10.5 ft Old Town Kayaks and then bought a 12.5 ft Wilderness System kayak. It's much more stable in water and almost as light (43 lbs.), but it is more expensive.

If you're going to be in it a long time, I recommend getting a gel seat for whatever you buy.

I'm right across the river from Cincinnati, and DD Outfitters has a good reputation.

Let us know what you wind up with.

Post Thanks / Like

do they carry a lot of extra stuff for fishin out of a yak.
    Last edited by Boat Bums; 04-22-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: mispelling

Post Thanks / Like

looking at the BPS FS10 thinking that I I could save money until I know i'm going to like it. And hearing about 1 that is not shown at bps.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up the Perception Kingfish from DD Outfitters for 291 bucks and it comes with a seat. He's got several Ocean Kayak models for less than 500. He's also got some Perception Pescadors (same thing as a tarpon 10) for less than 300. After having the Kingfish for a while I really like it, it's stable and dry (I'm 5'10, 250 and have another 50 lbs or so of gear. I can sit side saddle and get in my crate/cooler with no worries. I didn't want to spend a thousand dollars on a kayak and then either not like it or screw it up trying to customize it. To me, I've already gotten my moneys worth and I won't worry as bad about drilling holes in my next one.

He's got some kayak fishing stuff, rod holders, seats, anchors, ect. I ordered my rod holders from Hook One and put a couple of old boat rod holders on my milk crate and made my anchor trolly out of a couple of carabiners and a piece of rope. A brick makes a great anchor by the way. If you go to DD check out his prices on paddles I bought the Magic for 15 bucks less than Bass Pro.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info i guess i'm going to have to run up there!!!