Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry HELP cant get the hang of casting a BASS baitcaster!

I really cant get the hang of casting a bass baitcaster i bought one tried to get the hang and never could so returned it. I have one c3 and a c4 reel which are baitcasting and i can throw ridiculously far with those but for some reason cant get the hang of the bass ones everytime it knots up or most of the time gets back lash an you know how that is..terrible. Are there any reels you just cast and they dont knot up or tangle if your tention isnt right on the line while going out?

Any help appreciated! Thanks. Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP cant get the hang of casting a BASS baitcaster!

Kevin it is hard to teach someone to cast a bait caster with out being there in person. With that said I will attempt to help:

First there are adjustments on the reel which will help the reel from over running which cause your backlash, they will be on the side of the reel one side or the other some reels have a dial with numbers others have a small knob. You need to mess with these until when you release your reel holding the rod parallel to the ground your bait falls slowly to the ground.

Second do not try casting real hard. Jimmy Rodgers who was one of the finest trick caters who was sponsored by Lews reel said he could teach anyone to cast for five to ten bucks. He would have them put a five dollar bill between there elbow and their side with the rod parallel to the ground then turn the rod until the reel handles faced up, next with there wrist they were to bring the rod tip up over their shoulder and then bring it back down with their wrist. If the five dollar bill fell to the ground he gets to keep it. The trick here is do not over cast; make it very smooth and easy and keep your thumb on the spool and stop the reel turning just before the lure hits the water. As you get better and better you can increase the speed of the rod and lengthen the distance. The lure has to travel faster than the spool and pull the line off the reel if the spool is faster than the lure is traveling you will have backlash.

Post Thanks / Like

I take it you probably have Abu 6500 that you have no problem with so you should be able to handle most any baitcaster.If you have been using mono and are trying braid on your new one that can be harder.Exactly what reel were you having trouble with and what were you throwing?
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

As roadrunner stated, it is tough to explain "long distance" how to prevent backlashes, but throw the reel with the crank pointing either up or down. You don't want the spool pointing up. You want your thumb pointing to the ground when you finish the cast (kind of like pitching a screwball). I also think it is easier to learn on a med or med/light rod. Let the lure load up the tip and let that assist in the cast.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with some of these other fellas but I would try it a different way.
    1:Back off your magnetic controls all the way.
    2:Pick out a lure or casting plug or jig or socket or nuts or something that weighs about 1/2 ounce.
    3:hold the rod at a 45 degree angle... somewhere about 10-2
    4: adjust the spool tension knob until the lure falls as fast as it can and touch the floor with out causing an over run.
    5: once that is adjusted turn your magnetics up to about 90%.
    6: make short easy casts and try to feel the lure(weight) load up the rod tip
    7: once you've got this down, start backing the magnetics off.
    If you still get backlashes this way, try to tighten the spool (with the magnetics off) a little more to where you have to jiggle the lure to drop.

Biggest thing to remember is that you need to adjust it this way when changing different weighted lures and when different conditions present themselves IE.......@#!&*!$!.....WIND!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't the magnetics reduce the backlash tendency at the start of the case and the brake reduce backlash tendency at the end of the cast (when the lure is slowing down) maybe vice versa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Doesn't the magnetics reduce the backlash tendency at the start of the case and the brake reduce backlash tendency at the end of the cast (when the lure is slowing down) maybe vice versa
    thats what i was told..... there is a older guy at bass pro that thought me hes the one that feeds the fish. he helped me i was the same way a year ago .....from what he told me the goal in the end is to have the magnetics on zero when you get good with the. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I learned before free spool, the magnets and spool tensions are a great help. Dont over power the cast.If your not used to braid, get a spool of cheap mono and practise.backlashes with braid are horrible. My problem is whether to use my right handed one or the left handed one.I still use my spinning gear 75% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

If just learning get a left handed retrieve. I broke down the motions of the cast and do people realize how many times they switch hands after casting? Think about it. Right hand retrieve, cast with right arm, slow spool with right thumb, what, then switch hands to retrieve?......WHY. I, like you, have fished spinning since birth. So it seems natural to reel lefty. However, it's a matter of what feels good to you at the end of the day. I have trouble flipping with one. To me it seems as if I have to have the brake on to tight as to not backlash every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mybentrod View Post
    If just learning get a left handed retrieve. I broke down the motions of the cast and do people realize how many times they switch hands after casting? Think about it. Right hand retrieve, cast with right arm, slow spool with right thumb, what, then switch hands to retrieve?......WHY. I, like you, have fished spinning since birth. So it seems natural to reel lefty. However, it's a matter of what feels good to you at the end of the day. I have trouble flipping with one. To me it seems as if I have to have the brake on to tight as to not backlash every time.
    I use to worry about that because of the possibility of losing a fish that strikes in the middle of my handoff but it has never happened to me.

I pitch left handed when I'm in close, using a heavy weight and moving quick but other than that I still do the it the other way.

I'm more amazed at how many times a person turns a reel handle in a day of bassfishing. Especially if your crankin and tossing that bait way out there.

Post Thanks / Like

When are they going to invent a motorized crank.....lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mybentrod View Post
    When are they going to invent a motorized crank.....lol
    LOl that would take the fun out of it!
    Maybe they need a reel with handles on both sides? That would look cool! Might be a little awkward huh? It would look like a grass edger...