Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Boat Steering

I've got an old bass boat (25 years) and the steering is pretty tight. It is very usable, but much harder to steer than other boats that I've been in. i have a 135hp motor and my boat will run around 50mph, so failing steering is a safety concern.

Has anyone on here replaced steering cables on their boat. I'm pretty handy, but wonder how hard a job this might be.

I'd like to take care of this soon as the season is beginning and I dont' want to get out there and break a cable and be high and dry or worse yet, wrapped around a tree somewhere. Any advice is appreciated.

onemorecast56 Guest

Re: Bass Boat Steering

well there is 1 thing you can try,,,take it off the motor,,I`ll bet it`s real dirty inside and dragingon you,,wipe the end off,,spray a degreaser in the tube and clean it,,and then gease the tube and shaft again,,,mine was froze plum up,,,wouldn`t move,,Thats what I did,,had to hammer it out,,but can steer with 1hand no proplem

Post Thanks / Like

Doug is right on. You might be able to oil it up. If not you can buy just the cable and its easy. The hardest part is bending it through all the wiring and under the dash. But not bad at all. 30 minute job and less than $100 on most cables. good luck man

Post Thanks / Like

easy job, and i have 2

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced mine in my old boat. Very easy just don't do what I did and replace the steering where you turn left and go right. That was fun!

Post Thanks / Like

i did mine last year and also replaced the helm unit, the hardest part is just what was said above getting the cables to bend and get past the wiring without messing it up but it took me a couple hours good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it can be done by you. time depends on configuration of the gunwhale that it runs along for your access. When you pull your old out attach a line to it so you can pull the new one back thru.

Do what Onemorecast said and if it doesn't fair better, start looking for a part number on the plastic jacketing, which will make it easy to order a replacemnt.

If you replace might consider replacing the helm also.
    There are several types of steering helm designs from teleflex. Go to their website and they'll tell you whats standard for the type/speed of boat you have and tell you how to measure for your new cable. Make sure you don't exceed the minimum bend radius during install, keep the unit lubed every one/two years and it'll go for another 25 years.