Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

150 yamaha vmax shifting question

I am having problems with my outboard not shifting into neutral right away.
    I noticed as i have been putting my boat on the trailer that after i shift into neutral, my propeller will keep turning for around 5 to 10 seconds before it actually goes into neutral and stops turning. I didn't know if maybe my shifter cable is bad or needs to be adjusted or what it might be.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 150 yamaha vmax shifting question

BigB, does it grind when you are shifting? Not real sure, but I had a similar problem, mine not wanting to shift to reverse. Ended up, the clutch dog in my lower unit was stripped and had to be replaced. Doesn't sound like the same problem though.......good luck getting it diagnosed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad View Post
    BigB, does it grind when you are shifting? Not real sure, but I had a similar problem, mine not wanting to shift to reverse. Ended up, the clutch dog in my lower unit was stripped and had to be replaced. Doesn't sound like the same problem though.......good luck getting it diagnosed.
    No grinding and i dont have a problem going into gear or into reverse, Just while putting it into neutral, it takes a couple seconds before the prop stops.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just spinning or is it actually still stuck in gear? It could be the cable adjustment. I would change the fluid in the lower unit to make sure the clutch dog isn't just sticking to the gear momentarily. They prop may take a few spins after you put it in nuetral before it runs out of momentum. ecspecially if the prop is out of the water.

Post Thanks / Like

It definitely stays in gear for a few seconds, i first noticed it while pulling up next to a dock and when i put it in neutral it kept going forward for a bit then stopped.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a shift cable out of adjustment. You can unhook it from the motor and turn the brass barrel a few turns one way or the other to adjust it . One way will give it more forward and less reverse. The other way the opposite is true. Just go 5 turns or so at a time and try it to see whether yo've gone the right way or to much or not enough. Hope this helps.