Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

STRUGGLING! Gripes about tying flies

OK. I'm probably being ridiculously impatient, but I've had GREAT success tying gilly minnows with the assistance of the Colonel's DCFF instructions and Mark at Forward Cast's advice on hooks, etc. So, I have tried tying a number of wooly buggers, which the internet folks claim is a beginner fly. Mine all end up looking like a furball with a feather sticking off one side (broken away from the thread, of course). I'll admit that I've tried to do this on the cheap and plan to buy a vise, whip thing-a-ma-jig, and bobbin tomorrow. Maybe that will be the missing fly tying magic. It hasn't gone well so far, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: STRUGGLING! Gripes about tying flies

I'm going to be tying at bass pro tomorrow if you'd like to come up. I'll be at the derby city fly fishers booth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
    I'm going to be tying at bass pro tomorrow if you'd like to come up. I'll be at the derby city fly fishers booth.
    What time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    What time?
    Well, at 2:50, I noticed that the DCFF time at Bass Pro Shops ends at 3. Maybe next time or at the DCFF fly tying meeting.

Post Thanks / Like

OK. I'm probably being ridiculously impatient, but I've had GREAT success tying gilly minnows with the assistance of the Colonel's DCFF instructions and Mark at Forward Cast's advice on hooks, etc. So, I have tried tying a number of wooly buggers, which the internet folks claim is a beginner fly. Mine all end up looking like a furball with a feather sticking off one side (broken away from the thread, of course). I'll admit that I've tried to do this on the cheap and plan to buy a vise, whip thing-a-ma-jig, and bobbin tomorrow. Maybe that will be the missing fly tying magic. It hasn't gone well so far, though.
    I have a warning for you !

WARNING : This can come very addictive after catching a fish on something that you have made with your own hands !

A vise and the bobbin will help tremendously ! Also, do a utube search on tying wolly buggers ! or fly tying. There are some good instructive videos out there.

Good luck with it !

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie-
    Don't be frustrated, I couldn't tie a bugger without the proper fly tying tools either! You should look into a beginners fly tying kit. It will come with a vise, bobbins, whip finish, scissors, and some commonly used materials. That is a good way to start. They are usually affordable as well. Bass Pro, Gander, Cabelas, Orvis, they all have these kits.....even Walmart used to. And like Rock said, go online and watch some tutorials or youtube videos. Those will really help ya. And yes................IT IS ADDICTING!!! Good luck!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro has some good beginner kits, that comes with all of the tools to get you started and it also has a dvd to show you how to tie some basic flies. I bought my son this one: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...004000_175-4-0

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, guys. Actually, I got to Bass Pro about 4:30 and some guys from DCFF were still there. They recommended getting a beginners kit, which I did. I watched Lefty Kreh's video last night, and I'm fired up about trying out my new tools. I could be headed for a breakthrough!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, guys. Actually, I got to Bass Pro about 4:30 and some guys from DCFF were still there. They recommended getting a beginners kit, which I did. I watched Lefty Kreh's video last night, and I'm fired up about trying out my new tools. I could be headed for a breakthrough!!!
    Sounds like you are on track eddie! Make sure to post some pics of those flies you'll be whipping up! Good luck!

-Rich