Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Depth Finder Question?

Took my boat to the shop last year and it sat out in the weather while waiting to get worked on. Now the depth finder screen is hard to see from the moisture getting inside. Any tricks on fixing the problem other than replacing it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Depth Finder Question?

I'm not an expert, but, you may try placing it in a small airtight container with a lot of the silica packaging material to draw out the moisture. Its the stuff that is a lot of packaging to keep moisture down. If you by some products with it (you know the stuff that says "do not eat") save the silica packets and try them. Perhaps you could get friends to save any they run across as well. Other than that??? You may be able to find some silica packets on the net as well.

Post Thanks / Like

you can take the screen off and dry it out. Take the screws out of the back and it will pull apart. Easy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    you can take the screen off and dry it out. Take the screws out of the back and it will pull apart. Easy!
    I think that kind of depends on the brand and process used to fill the unit with inert gas.

You may have cracked something in the cold temps that let the moisture in. maybe to sit out in the sun and warm up for a few days and let it get hotter could help.

Post Thanks / Like

as said above, you can take the screws out of SOME units and get to the screen. other units you will tear up even taking out the screws it will only let you get to the c-board. best thing to do is get a plastic container with a top, loosen the screws on the back of the unit until the rubber gasket is loose and movable. put the unit in the plastic container with the back loose as described, and place some UNUSED charcoal in the container as well and sit it out in the sunlight. the hydrocarbons will readily bind great to the moisture. even after your screen is nice and dry, leave the unit in the box for a whole day to make sure all water has been absored from places in the unit you might not be able to see. this trick will work for any electronic items that have fallen into water or have moisture as long as they have not been powered on and shorted out. great for drying a cell phone, rod lockers, all the lockers in your boat when storing for the winter (just so i dont get an odd email) put charcoal into old socks and tie the top of the sock so charcoal does not come out. then put into your boat at desired location. cheeze cloth works well also.
    hope this info helps someone.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a quick search on the web and silica packets are available at a lot of places. They are recomended to contror moisture around electronic devices. However, if the unit is cracked you may have to problem just repeat itself. I would not put a whole lot of money into trying to fis it. You can get 10 grams of silica for $1.52 but the bad news is you have to buy 10, 10 gram packs so that is $15.20 + shipping. The silica will draw that moisture out of that unit, but as stated im may just seep back in later. Here is a link to a site that has silica.

http://silicagelpackets.com/

Post Thanks / Like

try going to a drug store, they sometimes have silica packs left from prescription drugs.

Post Thanks / Like

One last comment. You know I have found that if something is broken there is not much you ca do to it to make it worse. If that unit is to the point that you are considering deep sixing it, There is no real risk in trying about anything to get it going again. Hope the silica dries it out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Put the unit in a small pan of dry white rice. It will absorb the moisture in much the same way that the silica will, but probably cost less.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Depth Finder Question?

Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    Put the unit in a small pan of dry white rice. It will absorb the moisture in much the same way that the silica will, but probably cost less.
    Second on the rice. It also works if you drop your phone in the lake. I have first hand experience with that.

Post Thanks / Like

I 3rd the rice... Rice is a great desecant.. That is why you will see it sometimes in salt shakers too. My son has managed to wash his cell phone(S) about 4 times and his MP3 player about 5 times. The rice only didn't work once...
    I have an old Depthfinder that I just replaced on my boat that collected moisture the same way. I was lucky enough to get one from REDSKEETER for replacment and SMLJAW had a new one that I acquired too.. That being said, it may behoove you to look for a replacement unit or even buy a newer unit. (Unless you buy one of those 1500-2000 dollar jobs).

I was talking to a guy at Stokley's marine about Units the other day and they state that even those put on boats today are sometimes obsolete when they're installed.. But I say if your not interested in replacing it try the rice!! (instant is great too)

Post Thanks / Like

i never heard of the dry rice thing. it would alot cheaper than charcoal. im going to try that next time insead of the charcoal. has anyone ever put it in the boat lockers when storing away for the winter? if the rice swells up will it smell or anything if left along time?