Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: There goes the neighborhood - article on Bluegrass in the paper .

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    16 boats, 1 co and a pontoon when I left at 2:30. Everyone was crappie fishing.
    do any good? patoka was on fire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    MOTHER &%*&#**%,....i knew that would happen...

Post Thanks / Like

Hit my club pit today - we got on bluegill most of the day , had 35 hand size & bigger between two of us . All on garden worms & crawlers . Cricket probably would have worked too . I caught 2 crappie { a 10"er and a 14"er } bluegill fishing with a crawler . Also fished minnows and jigs for crappie - no luck there . Bass here and there mostly on spinner baits . Most gill were 1' - 3' deep near wood or cover , water at 54dg. The crappie I kept had some eggs in her and in another 2-3 weeks they should be spawning in smaller lakes/ponds/pits . No gills had eggs . Wind brisk out of the south early then switching later in day . Water in my pit was clear & high and snot grass is growing so other weeds cant be far behind . Come on April !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    Posted on other thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't fished any BG pits in a couple yrs. Good to read that some are getting better. I caught my biggest in Otter several yrs ago, didn't have any luck on any of them after that so I found some other holes to hit.

I'd like to get a PM from someone that has good knowledge of some pits around Elberfeld and has the Google Earth program for referencing.

Post Thanks / Like

Well , another set of useful fishing info from our friends at the C&P . A article about poaching and Steve Fords adventure fishing after a injury . What a waste of ink . Much better than reports on local lakes { besides Bluegrass } , how local high water is impacting local fisheries , ect . That type of reporting would require some digging and work - better to check some facts off the internet or dream something up while driving to the office . If you check other area papers the coverage of current outdoor interest puts Evansvilles to shame . I guess thats why most of us diehards check Fishin.com every day . Heres my current fishing report - My retired brother { who can fish anytime he wants } went up to Bluegrass Wed. and fished some of the "no-name" pits in the area and only caught a few small bass . Returned with some kids Friday and did better , several 10-14 inch crappie and a 5lb bass . Friends at work have been catching limits of crappie in local lakes where water temps are a little higher - 55-58 dg. No reports on bluegill . Bigger bass are hit and miss , seems like most are falling later in day to spinnerbaits and cranks . Looking foward to Easter week-end - got 5 days off starting Thursday and plan to fish at least 4 of them . Good luck to all !

Post Thanks / Like

I can't keep the crappie off my line right now. Bluegrass is on fire for them. Caught 8 Saturday all on cranks. I guess it wouldn't bother me if I was fishing for them. I'd say the size on them has gone up quite a bit this year imo. But then again I don't fish for them so it could be the same as last year.

Post Thanks / Like

How deep do your cranks go? You catching them on shallow running cranks or deeper running cranks?

I am marking fish in the deep water but have not really fished the shallows yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    I can't keep the crappie off my line right now. Bluegrass is on fire for them. Caught 8 Saturday all on cranks. I guess it wouldn't bother me if I was fishing for them. I'd say the size on them has gone up quite a bit this year imo. But then again I don't fish for them so it could be the same as last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything in less than 4' of water. Any structure or grass in that depth will have crappie. If you want more info on where exactlyon bluegrass i can tell you. There are two banks I won't fish right now cause of them. One ledge they keep munching the tails on worms even. Annoying suckers when you're bass fishin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post
    Looking foward to Easter week-end - got 5 days off starting Thursday and plan to fish at least 4 of them . Good luck to all !
    Dad and I are planning to hit Bluegrass FWA at least one or two of those days as well. I know Thursday for sure. We plan to hit one of the "no name pits" right across the road from Ringneck - it sort of chains together with some other pits back there. Depending on the luck, we may have to give Bluegrass a try. Hoping to get some crappie and bass for an Easter fish fry!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow , another amazing piece of reporting from the Evansville paper - quote Steve Ford -

This isn’t science.

No fisheries biologist or ichthyology professor contributed to this report.

The results are purely anecdotal and limited to the field study of one participant (me) during two brief trips to one sampling location or, in this case, pond.

However, the findings are recent, taken on Tuesday and Friday at about the same time (around 3 p.m.) and within the boundaries of Vanderburgh County.

Here’s the skinny on my findings and it’s good news. Fish are starting to move.

Tuesday they were near the surface of the water column and warming themselves in the late afternoon sun. They weren’t actively feeding, but you could coax them into biting.

On an elevated deck about 6 feet above the surface of the water, I had a good view of about a third of the 1-acre pond I was fishing. I could see plenty of fish.

Most of what I saw that afternoon were bluegill of various sizes, but there were also a few bass and two rather large channel catfish milling about near the top.

My only concern was catching something, anything, since it was my first try of the year. So I went with a few worms as bait and made an interesting discovery in bait container options.

Normally there are dozens of spent drink cups in the pit of my club cab, but Tuesday there were none.

So I had to rethink my options.

Since I had less than an hour to fish on my way to work, I didn’t need much bait and went with a plastic sandwich bag, which fits neatly in a jacket pocket.

It helped me realize the fish wanted you to get their attention by moving the bait a little and then you had to let it sit and they would eventually ease in for a taste. I caught three nice bluegill in 20 minutes that way.

Then I added another fat bluegill on a tiny floating Rapala. But the bass wouldn’t hit the surface offering, regardless of how I fished it.

Friday was another matter.

I started with the Rapala and never had to change. The first fish to rise to it were bluegill, including a couple of nearly a pound, and they popped it with the same vigor they might in June. Four were caught and released on a very slow retrieve.

But the bass weren’t buying right out of the gate. So I changed the presentation when one was sighted and began to move it more and in longer bursts of movement.

Once I raised and hooked one on what appeared to be a reaction strike, the action became fast, with some truly aggressive hits. I quit at 15 fish (nine bass, six bluegill) in 40 minutes. Not bad.

It showed that a couple of days with a warm south wind had heated up the water enough to get the fish thinking about a meal.

Well, it was either that or the fish realized Tuesday was still March, while Friday was a lovely April day.

That must’ve been it.

Again , wow .

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is hahaha.