Search Fishin.com

Thread: marine charger

Post Thanks / Like

marine charger

can anyone recommend a good deep cell battery charger? i have been using one of the cheap shumackers from wally mart and: A. they dont last very long, B. they are overcharging my batteries and boiling them dry over a few months time.

preferably, i want a portable charger as opposed to an inboard. something that can charge reg 12v, 6v and deep 12v batteries.

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: marine charger

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    can anyone recommend a good deep cell battery charger? i have been using one of the cheap shumackers from wally mart and: A. they dont last very long, B. they are overcharging my batteries and boiling them dry over a few months time.

preferably, i want a portable charger as opposed to an inboard. something that can charge reg 12v, 6v and deep 12v batteries.

thanks!
    I have one, that came from walmart. I would have to go to the garage to see the brand name it is. I don't remember the cost, but I think it was around 50.00 its about 6"x4" and about 2" thick. keep it connected all the time, when i'm not fishing. my batteries stay full charged. I've used it for 2 years on a waverunner and my boat, never hurt my batteries or never had a problem with it. works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Schumacher markets a line called Ship and Shore for boat use and line called Speed Charge for general use. These are pretty good chargers. I think Walmart handles part of the Speed Charge line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

thanks!
    I have used the shumacker that is selectable between 2/10/50 Amps and has regular and deep cycle settings for many many years with luck, but it does require me to unplug on a 10 amp setting when they are charged, only use the 2 amp if I can't get back to the batteries for a day or so and only use the 50 amp for a few seconds to start the lawn tractor also check water on batteries every month.

If you're wanting a connect and leave it you'll need one with a processor, like a pro-mariner knock-off that cabelas markets under their name. its a good one that I've had better luck with than the guest brand. Also its on sale every once in a while.
    6 Volt, I don't know about. Good Luck.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

This link can help. I've bought from tehse folks before and they stand behind what they sell and what they say about a product I have found is what it is when it shows up at the door.

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_chargers.html

Next click on shop battery chargers on the left, select, 12 V, select 5-10 amp.

The ship and shore from earlier posts is shown, and do look at some of the Quests.

I have a BATT CAT 220 I bought at TSC over 5 years ago. It allows chrging all types of batteries (Mat, gel, flooded). Here's what a similar 3 bank chrager looks like, my 220 was a 2 bank. http://greensboro.craigslist.org/for/1630285489.html

I bought an onboard chrager because sometimes at the lake, in the rain, I got to charge batteries. I DIDN'T MOUNT IT IN THE BOAT. Instead, I cut a 12 by 12 inch of 2X12, mounted the chrager to that board, then put a carry handle on it. This way I have a portable, that can do 2 batteries at once, and can sit out in teh rain, on the boat, or dock, or in the back yard while doing its job and not be damaged. Similar charger can be had from MinnKota, as a one or 2 bank. Email me at bobhamme@comcast.net if you'd like me to email you a couple pictures of mine to see how its mounted and stuff.