Search Fishin.com

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Hey Yamaha Outboards...say what?

From their webpage FAQ, and about why model years will go away from their products. (My thoughts in bold underline)

Question

Why has the model year designation been eliminated from Yamaha Outboards?

Answer

Outboards do not change from one “Model Year” to the next; therefore a “Model Year” doesn’t communicate anything significant about the physical product. (DOES IT NOT TALK TO DEPRECIATION?)(SO, YOU WANT ME TO BELIEVE YOU DON'T CHANGE YOUR ENGINE SPECS BETWEEN YEARS EVER?)

Yamaha plans to introduce new products and upgrades to models on a continuous bases instead of only at the traditional “model year change-over.” By eliminating the model year, Yamaha will be able to introduce new products (and upgrades) throughout the year, which means Yamaha will be better able to meet consumer needs in a fast changing market. (So how will I know what is inside a product bought at any time as it changes continously?. Does this mean the specs for the models on your webpage at any given time may be for only part of that model's engines?)
    Additionally, dealers and boat builders are now better able to carry adequate inventory throughout the year because they won’t have to slim down inventory in advance of a new “Model Year.” Therefore, there is a much better chance your dealer will have what you want, when you want it.:confusedTHIS TRANSLATES TO NEVER EXPECT A DEALER TO GIVE DISCOUNTS AT THE END OF A MODEL YEAR BECAUSE YOU WON'T KNOW IF YOUR GETTING A MOTOR MADE THIS YEAR LAST YEAR, OR THE YEAR BEFORE)

Here are answers to other frequently asked questions related to elimination of the model year designation.

How will I know when my outboard was produced?

All Yamaha outboards have and will continue to have a production date on the unit. A permanent appliqué is located on the starboard side of the outboard mounting bracket. The appliqué is stamped with the month/year of production for that outboard (ex. 04/07).(WHICH WOULD BE THE MODEL YEAR RIGHT, BUT YOU SAID THAT DIDN'T APPLY ANYMORE)
    What if I want the newest engine or I want an outboard to match one I currently use as a twin?

There is no significant difference between outboards if they are the same model. (For example, an F150 is an F150, if made yesterday or many months ago.) (HOW MANY MONTHS AGO, YOU MEAN A 115 4 STROKE BUILT IN 2002 IS THE SAME AS THE ONE BUILT TODAY, BUT YOU SAID YOU CONTINUOUSLY UPDATE AND UPGRADE YOUR MODELS???????)
    When Yamaha does make a substantial change to a current model (For example, the F9.9 family had a completely new block), the models would be renamed (i.e. F9.9MSH to F9.9FMSH) and reintroduced as a new outboard. The use of this new outboard designation will allow you to determine if you have the latest technology engine and to match technologies if you have twin engines. Please check the Current Model List for all current models in the Yamaha line up. (SO ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CHANGE ONE LETTER IN A MODEL NUMBER, TO MAKE MY MOTOR LOOK LIKE SOMETHING LESS UP TO DATE, SO IMPACT THE DEPRECIATION OF MY MOTOR?)
    Do I still get the same limited warranty on my outboard regardless of age?

Yamaha has and will continue to begin its limited warranty period at the time of registration for the first owner. Upon delivery, your outboard is inspected by the dealer and warranty registered Online. Your limited warranty starts the day of registration regardless of the age of the engine. (THAT I AGREE WITH)
    How do I fill out my titling information?

Most boaters won’t have to worry about this, as there are only six states (Texas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, Ohio and Missouri) that require titling. (REALLY, WRONG....WHY DOES MY KY REGISTRATION CARRY THE MOTORS MAKE, MODEL, YEAR, AND SERIAL NUMBER)Yamaha provides an MSO (Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin) with every outboard. The MSO will no longer carry a “model year” but will carry a production month/year for the outboard (ex. 04/2007). Because each titling state has different methods for titling outboards, please refer to your local title agency for the most up to date information regarding titling of outboards in the above mentioned states. Since most boat packages are valued in NADA , BUC and ABOS based on the make of boat and horsepower, not the specific year, make and model of the outboard the production date of the outboard doesn’t matter. (WRONG,NOW WE KNOW THE DEAL, YOU ARE TRYING TO PROP UP YOUR PRICES....NADA DOES LIST MOTORS SEPERATELY SHOWING MODEL YEAR, SIZE, AND MSRP, HIGH AND LOW RETAIL. AND NOT ALL BOATS RREFLECTED IN NADA ARE "WITH ENGINE". A FEW ARE, BUT MOST MAKES ARE NOT. THIS IS JUST A FLAT FABRICATION YAMAHA)
    To put it most simply, the year of outboard manufacture printed on your title is simply a field used by the titling agency. (BUT YOU JUST SAID ABOVE THAT ONLY HAPPENS IN 6 STATES, AND NOW YOU SAY WHEN IT SHOWS UP ON MY TITLE, IT MEANS NOTHING ANYWAY)
    How will my outboard be valued in appraisal publications?

Since most boat packages are valued based on the horsepower of the engine, not the year, make or technology of the outboard, not having model year elimination will have not impact on value determination. :madGET A LIFE.....FLAT LIE.....AGE, HOURS, CONDITION, SALT OR FRESHWATER USE, STATE OF MAINTENANCE, ALL.... ALL PART OF A MARINE SURVEY OF THE ENGINE, AND ALL CONTRIBUTE TO THE ENGINES VALUE)

I still think they make great engines, but after reading this, have lost a lot of confidence in their credibility, sincereity, and candor. I just have a hardtime buying from a company that really expects me to believe statements like these.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hey Yamaha Outboards...say what?

i don't think yammiis the only one doing this,i saw on a dealer website,jacos marine, back some time ago,a year or longer maybe,mercury was no longer designating a model year for their motors..don't seem like it has hurt them.with all the new motors having computer read out from them any info will be available on that.i don't see any major changes in a dfi motor from here out,software upgrade,part upgrade maybe..

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Re: Hey Yamaha Outboards...say what?

Quote Originally Posted by CTFSHWHISKER View Post
    i don't think yammiis the only one doing this,i saw on a dealer website,jacos marine, back some time ago,a year or longer maybe,mercury was no longer designating a model year for their motors..don't seem like it has hurt them.with all the new motors having computer read out from them any info will be available on that.i don't see any major changes in a dfi motor from here out,software upgrade,part upgrade maybe..
    I'm guilty of being oversensitive. Been shopping for boats and just have had my fill of makers and dealers smoke screens