Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question KY Boat registration for canoe w/ trolling motor

Hey all - looking for any help concerning registering my canoe for use in Kentucky.

Been getting into the Kentucky lakes early this year and been enjoying it just want to get closer to the action!

I have a 17' Scanoe w/ a trolling motor on the back. I have been looking at the KY registration fees and it says $20 for boats from 16'-26' is this right? Also saw somewhere else where it said boats with only electric trolling motors were $5 a year.

I am assuming (yes I know what that means) that I need the $29.50 boating license for the canoe also is that correct? Sorry if any of these questions seem a little silly, only ever had it registered in Ohio, but I am starting to love your lakes!!!

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KY Boat registration for canoe w/ trolling motor

All you should need is the $5 trolling motor registration. Pretty cheap and worth avoiding a fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CincyAngler View Post
    Hey all - looking for any help concerning registering my canoe for use in Kentucky.

Been getting into the Kentucky lakes early this year and been enjoying it just want to get closer to the action!

I have a 17' Scanoe w/ a trolling motor on the back. I have been looking at the KY registration fees and it says $20 for boats from 16'-26' is this right? Also saw somewhere else where it said boats with only electric trolling motors were $5 a year.

I am assuming (yes I know what that means) that I need the $29.50 boating license for the canoe also is that correct? Sorry if any of these questions seem a little silly, only ever had it registered in Ohio, but I am starting to love your lakes!!!

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

TJ
    TJ; The Commonwealth requires your boat to be registered if it has a trolling moter. Ky. will honor your Ohio registration. Life jacket and small fire extinguisher required in boat at all times. No alcohol allowed in the boat or on the bank. These basics should keep you out of trouble. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: KY Boat registration for canoe w/ trolling motor

Thanks for your help! God forbid I ever need that fire extinguisher when the water is this cold!!!

That all sounds easy enough, appreciate the timely replies!

TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help! God forbid I ever need that fire extinguisher when the water is this cold!!!

That all sounds easy enough, appreciate the timely replies!

TJ
    TJ; If you're in Cincy, do you fish the Miami and Little Miami often? I've been meaning to canoe both for years and still have'nt got around to it. Tell us what you know. Thanks in advance. Dr.B.

Post Thanks / Like

I might be wrong and if I am please some one correct me but I thought you only had to have a fire extinguisher if you had a gas motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyDr.B View Post
    TJ; If you're in Cincy, do you fish the Miami and Little Miami often? I've been meaning to canoe both for years and still have'nt got around to it. Tell us what you know. Thanks in advance. Dr.B.
    Actually grew up fishing the Little Miami with my dad in Dayton...As far as Cincy goes the Little Miami is pretty good from Loveland to Milford and a little beyond. There are a couple canoe liveries along there as well but from Loveland to Milford is the best close range spot.

I prefer to fish it up near Dayton, have done several canoeing trips up there. Often we would put in near Xenia at Fairground Rd. & Hilltop Rd. We would take two cars and park the second at the Narrows Reserve Park or Lower Bellbrook Rd. It is only a couple of miles but there are some sweeeeet smallie holes you would never know existed if you didn't have a canoe or float.

Also, if you feel like driving up to Dayton another time check out the Stillwater north of Dayton near Piqua...great canoe spot love fishin that river, good Rockbass there as well as smallies.

Hope this helps!

TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Actually grew up fishing the Little Miami with my dad in Dayton...As far as Cincy goes the Little Miami is pretty good from Loveland to Milford and a little beyond. There are a couple canoe liveries along there as well but from Loveland to Milford is the best close range spot.

I prefer to fish it up near Dayton, have done several canoeing trips up there. Often we would put in near Xenia at Fairground Rd. & Hilltop Rd. We would take two cars and park the second at the Narrows Reserve Park or Lower Bellbrook Rd. It is only a couple of miles but there are some sweeeeet smallie holes you would never know existed if you didn't have a canoe or float.

Also, if you feel like driving up to Dayton another time check out the Stillwater north of Dayton near Piqua...great canoe spot love fishin that river, good Rockbass there as well as smallies.

Hope this helps!

TJ
    TJ; Thanks for the info. Sounds like you would be a perfect candidate for the Elkhorn down here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CATCHEMALL View Post
    I might be wrong and if I am please some one correct me but I thought you only had to have a fire extinguisher if you had a gas motor.
    Catchemall; My understanding is that if the boat is motorized, (electric or gas) extinguisher is required in boat. I.E. the whole regestration thing with the trolling motor essentially reclassifies your boat. It's all taxes and money. I'd love to be wrong on this.