Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Proper Water/Boating Etiquette?

I see a lot of posts on here regarding poor on the water etiquette. I tried and be considerate when running my boat and fishing. I have heard people "say" pass others on plane so as to limit amount of wake. I've also "heard" pass at a slow speed or idle. I try and leave a good amount of distance between me and other boats when fishing the same area and or bank.

I know you can't please everyone, but what is the general consensus regarding proper etiquette on the water? Also, I am not referring to on the ramp because that is a no-brainer and has been beat to death.

With most of the lakes here in KY being dropped a great deal in the winter, leaving not much more than the channel area, running area and prime fishing areas can overlap to some degree. So let's be pratical and not start a slam-fest. What are or is considered the proper ways to go about sharing our ever increasing over populated fishing areas/lakes not only during low water periods but also during the summer.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proper Water/Boating Etiquette?

You get less wake if "on-plane".

Post Thanks / Like

or you could drop to idle speed, but big bass boaters dont seem to realize there is such a thing. In many cases folks just dont give a darn for the other guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I really get tired of hearing people with BIG BASS BOATS and BIG PLEASURE BOATS saying that staying on plane causes less wake than to drop to idle speed, when what they really mean is to drop to A SLOWER SPEED which is as slow as they want to go but is still much faster than TRUE IDLE SPEED. Read the bouys and the signs: IDLE SPEED NO WAKE. NO WAKE means NO WAKE and if a boat is going at true idle speed and not creating a wake, it can't possibly cause more wake than NO WAKE.

Thats my opinion,

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Law is clear.. • Boaters must use idle speed
    (slowest speed possible to maintain
    maneuverability of a boat)
    when passing another boat with
    an occupant actively engaged in
    fishing.
    that means no slow with a wake but wakeless

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tr186man View Post
    I see a lot of posts on here regarding poor on the water etiquette. I tried and be considerate when running my boat and fishing. I have heard people "say" pass others on plane so as to limit amount of wake. I've also "heard" pass at a slow speed or idle. I try and leave a good amount of distance between me and other boats when fishing the same area and or bank.

I know you can't please everyone, but what is the general consensus regarding proper etiquette on the water? Also, I am not referring to on the ramp because that is a no-brainer and has been beat to death.

With most of the lakes here in KY being dropped a great deal in the winter, leaving not much more than the channel area, running area and prime fishing areas can overlap to some degree. So let's be pratical and not start a slam-fest. What are or is considered the proper ways to go about sharing our ever increasing over populated fishing areas/lakes not only during low water periods but also during the summer.

Thanks.
    Your topic is a good one. I have a severial "rules of thump" for boating / fishing etiquette....but the most important one to me is...
    1. Is my 50' rule...I do my best, when Im running fast..is to give more than 50' between boats...I also use this rule for fishing as well.
    If Im behind somebody fishing, going down the same bank..I'll stay more than 50' away...If they are fishing slow, and Im power fishing...I'll will not jump ahead of them (most everyone else does!)...I find this to be very rude in my book. I'll go accross and hit the other bank...and see if they are moving in a direction..if so I'll give them their area.
    If Im going down a bank...or ledge..and I see Im going "head on" into another angler fishing twords me (and my stearing isn't on the same side of the bank Im fising)...when I think Im 50' away...I'll swing way out to the middle of the bay...again, using my trolling motor only and give the angler their right of way. I'll swing in on the other side of them, 50' away. I seem to be one of the few anglers on the water that has such etiquette...Supposedly the angler that his / her stearing, that is on the same side of the boat, as the bank they are fishing...they have the right of way coming down that bank.
    I just try very hard to stick to the "golden rule" also when fishing...I will treat others the way I'd like to be treated. When I run into a bay...and I see an angler fishing, or a bunch of people fishing, in a boat, or bank fishing...I will slow down...not plowing water...I mean sloooowwww....again...very few people do this anymore...And I will not cut another angler off...in other words...I won't fly by and jump ahead of an angler...going down a bank / cliff wall...if I do jump ahead...it will be like over 100 yards away, even if it isn't exacatly the area I'd like to be fishing! It just seems to me that people are getting very rude these days...not only boating etiquette...but driving vehicals as well...just some realy dumb people that arn't focusing on what they are realy doing. There were 715 boating deaths in 2009 in the US...and over 4,000 injuries. I remember when I worked at Frazier Rehab in Louisville;...one year alone, we had 7 individuals that would never get the chance to walk again becouse of boating accedents. I've never lost sight of that...

Post Thanks / Like

i reall enjoy people coming off plane right at the boat and start fishing next to you...

Post Thanks / Like

50' rule is not nearly enough. 50' is less than three boat lengths. At 50' you can wind up with treble hooks in your boat. Most anyone can cast more than 50'. IMO maybe you should re-evaluate your distance of safety........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I really get tired of hearing people with BIG BASS BOATS and BIG PLEASURE BOATS saying that staying on plane causes less wake than to drop to idle speed, when what they really mean is to drop to A SLOWER SPEED which is as slow as they want to go but is still much faster than TRUE IDLE SPEED. Read the bouys and the signs: IDLE SPEED NO WAKE. NO WAKE means NO WAKE and if a boat is going at true idle speed and not creating a wake, it can't possibly cause more wake than NO WAKE.

Thats my opinion,

Grumpy
    I agree. A true idle speed can't be beat for no wake. Hardly anyone including myself ever really follow that though. I have followed that but more times than not if no boats are around I pick the speed up.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what the proper thing to do is.

Here is what I do -- If I am in an area of the lake and out of loud talking distance to the other boat and other boats of various kinds are passing on plane I will do the same. For example the main lake at Cumberland. If you are fishing out there you are going to get plenty of wakes from all over the place. I feel that my wake will not be out of the ordinary.

If I am up in a creek and everything is nice and peaceful and somebody is fishing I will stop and reduce to no wake speed before my wake is able to hit their boat. One advantage of this is that you can maybe find out how their fishing is going and if you ever need help they may be more inclined to do so. If they are tied up to a crappie bush or on the shore I think you definately have to pass at no wake speed.

Haven't been shot at yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDon View Post
    50' rule is not nearly enough. 50' is less than three boat lengths. At 50' you can wind up with treble hooks in your boat. Most anyone can cast more than 50'. IMO maybe you should re-evaluate your distance of safety........
    Well it's not like I cast within 50' either of another; and I hope to think the other angler wouldn't cast twords my boat...when Im approching 50'...It's in most major "tournament" by-laws that we give eachother 50' of "fishing space" when approaching eachother; just good fishing manners, as far as Im concerned...of course, that also includes the your cast!....So that is what I'll stick to. I hate confrontation during something that is supposed to be fun / leisure. I've been bass fishing for 35 years; never had a treble hook come close to my boat...I start making my move..."give way"...prabably more than 50' (like I said, more than most)...but that is the common rule to stick to though. But let me say this HoosierDon...if anybody does cast "in my boat"...then they just lost their lure. And they might be very thankful that will be all they lose. When Im nice...Im very nice...But when I let the tiger lose from his chain (not very often does he get to); they better pack a lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should of said 50' beyond you longest cast. Now that would make more sence. And by the way........hold that tiger......OOOOOOOOOooOO