Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland river bank fishing

Alright fellas I know the lake like the back of my hand but must admit I have never wet a line in the river itself. I'm am going to this year. Can I successfully fish from shore? Please tell me it's not like the Falls of the Ohio with 14 thousand people throwing over your line, if so I'm not interested.

Somebody give me the scoop, do's and don't, some helpful tips. Sometimes when I'm there with the In-laws at their place working or whatever I don't always pull my boat. It's those times when I have to escape for awhile and would like to walk the banks of the river??

I am referencing below the dam to.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland river bank fishing

If you have waders you'll be fine. Just remember that you can be stranded if the water comes up so keep that in your mind when wading around.

Usually people bank fish around the dam and around the several ramps. There will be folks in lawn chairs drinking soda and fishing powerbait or worms. Then there will be some Orvis folks wading around.

I fish spoons, in-line spinners, jigs, flys, etc. It will all work and just seems to depend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Alright fellas I know the lake like the back of my hand but must admit I have never wet a line in the river itself. I'm am going to this year. Can I successfully fish from shore? Please tell me it's not like the Falls of the Ohio with 14 thousand people throwing over your line, if so I'm not interested.

Somebody give me the scoop, do's and don't, some helpful tips. Sometimes when I'm there with the In-laws at their place working or whatever I don't always pull my boat. It's those times when I have to escape for awhile and would like to walk the banks of the river??

You sure can. That is the only way I have fished the CR, other than two stents with a boat (one that didn't go so well, ). I bring my chest waders, and I actually used to be able to wade across the whole river when they bottomed out the flow for ever. Now....I would never try it. The releases are too unpredictable and I don't think the CR will ever get back to those low flows. I fly fish, but have been known to catch some on spinners and rapalas. Haven't been up to the CR forever cause of the warm temps, high flows, and lack of fish catching.....so I couldn't really give you a current fish-catching-strategy. Hopefully Rock will chime in, he lives on the river. Good luck!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post

last summer was the first time I ever fished the cumberland river, the lake was to hot. so I went to burksville and put in the river. the best I remember, the water was in the mid 60's. I don't care for trout, so I tried for striper. with no luck. seen lots of deer and coon on the river bank. seen about a dozen guys wade fishing. I think 2 fishing from the bank. a family fishing at the boat ramp and 3 or 4 boats trolling.I did see 2 fish caught, looked like trout. and both were close to the boat ramp. I cast for striper for about 4 hours. without a bit. the river was very shallow, the deepest pools I found was 12 feet deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark; Rockhouse has access, plus if you have'nt seen it, it's worth the hop and a skip just to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Bank fishing can be very productive on the CR. But waders just give you so many more options in the busy areas. There are about 1 1/2 miles of shoreline that can be waded below the Dam. With a little Hiking involved. The closest easiest places will be the most fished ! Due to the lazy nature of the human species ! It is always a good idea to check the posted generation schedule before going ! And to always remember that it is subject to change ! THERE MAY BE SOME UNSCHEDULED GENERATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE SAFE !