Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

There where bugs on the water today!

Report; spotted many midges hatching and later for just a few minutes, a very few what I believe where pale blue duns. I didn't get my net out or anything but I saw at least one brave little trout rocket up from the depths to grab one floating on the surface! It was amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: There where bugs on the water today!

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    Report; spotted many midges hatching and later for just a few minutes, a very few what I believe where pale blue duns. I didn't get my net out or anything but I saw at least one brave little trout rocket up from the depths to grab one floating on the surface! It was amazing!
    Good to hear the bugs survived the deep freeze!! What body of water were you on?

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen midges hatching out on 3springs lately. Trout flopping out of the water everywhere after them! Was hoping to hit the CR here, but looks like rain all next week ......back to raging flows!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing in the water where I was today (that I saw). But man alive some little black buggers were buzzing about at one of the wet spots. Reminded me of flying angus, lol. All in unison, and pretty as all get out.
    Dang guys, I didnt know I was going to have to study entomology (sp?) as well as getting a good line, lol. I know, cant match the hatch, if ya dont know whats hatching.
    On a side note, the carp were starting to flop today. Love watching them, and yes, I'm not going to deny it, they were what I was after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leakinwader View Post
    Nothing in the water where I was today (that I saw). But man alive some little black buggers were buzzing about at one of the wet spots. Reminded me of flying angus, lol. All in unison, and pretty as all get out.
    Dang guys, I didnt know I was going to have to study entomology (sp?) as well as getting a good line, lol. I know, cant match the hatch, if ya dont know whats hatching.
    On a side note, the carp were starting to flop today. Love watching them, and yes, I'm not going to deny it, they were what I was after.
    LOL! Yeah, you get to know the hatches after awhile....then when you get them down....you up and move across the country (like me)! lol! Oh well, generally the same bugs...just different times.

Carp are awesome on the fly rod...there is no shame there! We used to target them during their spawn on several different UT reserviors. Nothing like a 20+lb carp on the fly! FUN STUFF!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Big Bone Lick Creek is where I was today and yesterday. Little midges popping out everywhere yesterday and today. Not as many of the little Blue Dun look-a-likes today though, not sure of their scientific name or anything, I'm trying to learn but I would rather spend my time on the water waving my rod than a bug net, especially after such a long and cruel winter! Considering the water was down about four inches from where it was yesterday and dropped two more before we left this evening I was not surprised things didn't pick up much from yesterday. There where a few larger insects about but, whatever happened yesterday must have been one of those early and isolated things. Did have some fruit flies and even a bee buzzing around as well. Landed some trout and a few of the biggest chubs I have ever seen, lost many more. Definitely more of the aggressive strikes I was expecting to see. Got some sun on my face and my pole wet, so all in all a great day on the water. Here is a pic from my phone of one of the better fighters that I captured and released today, his scales where already messed up before I found em'. Enjoy the pic and happy hunting.http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1268016954

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Colonel, good looking bow! Bet that felt great!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    LOL! Yeah, you get to know the hatches after awhile....then when you get them down....you up and move across the country (like me)! lol! Oh well, generally the same bugs...just different times.

Carp are awesome on the fly rod...there is no shame there! We used to target them during their spawn on several different UT reserviors. Nothing like a 20+lb carp on the fly! FUN STUFF!

-Rich
    Absolutely blows my mind, the thought of a carp on fly................I get giddy as a school girl.
    Seriously though Rich, kudos for learning the local species, I'm having trouble after 40 yrs here, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post

-Rich
    Back in the day I used to Bowfish for them when they were rolling !

Post Thanks / Like

It did, it did. Had a pretty fair time spearing them at KY Lake when I was 13 or 14. We layed down some cedars and used those for spears, it was awesome. Can't wait to throw some flies at them though. Any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    It did, it did. Had a pretty fair time spearing them at KY Lake when I was 13 or 14. We layed down some cedars and used those for spears, it was awesome. Can't wait to throw some flies at them though. Any recommendations?
    How bout a large HH designed for them rascals ? What colors do you think would work ? Cannot do anything in Black right now ! Waiting on the big brown truck again !

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't say Rock, don't really know anything about catching them on a fly rod other than you have to sneak up on them. Really from what I hear, you need to fish more like a crane than a man. Kind of creep out there really slow and post up near where you think they will be cruising by and make the gentlest of presentations of whatever they are in that area to feed on. Have heard that crayfish imitations are a solid bet though, so maybe something of that hue would be good. Anyone care to share?